Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Willl

Working out and washing my face

Ok so my dermatologist told me to stop washing my face (with the acne soap) 3 times a day, he said instead to do it twice in order to avoid the skin from producing more oil.

Will this help???

Then my second problem is that I work out almost everyday and after working out im not sure if I should wash my face with the acne soap or not, since if i do then I would be using it 3 times a days. Morning, after working out and at night.

Any suggestions?

Ok so my dermatologist told me to stop washing my face (with the acne soap) 3 times a day, he said instead to do it twice in order to avoid the skin from producing more oil.

Will this help???

Then my second problem is that I work out almost everyday and after working out im not sure if I should wash my face with the acne soap or not, since if i do then I would be using it 3 times a days. Morning, after working out and at night.

Any suggestions?

Well, I cut out medicated products from my routine (I have clear skin now with a pimple or two here and there). I use johnson & johnson's head to toe baby wash. That way I can wash my face when I first wake up and after I get back from the gym, and again before bed time. It doesn't dry me out or anything. If you really want to keep the acne soap in your regiment then I rec. using a mild soap-free and non-medicated wash like the one I rec. in the morning then wash your face with the acne soap AFTER your workout and then use the mild soap again before bed time. This way your skin won't freak out.

Does working out alot causes acne?

i since have stop working out and my acne isnt bad as before. :think:

:think: Thats a tricky question. On one hand, exercise improves blood flow and oxygen supply to your skin, as well as increasing perspiration (which is said to aid in cleaning pores). On the other hand, heavy exercise ( i.e low rep weight lifting) increases the production of a hormone called cortisol. This hormone tends to have an adverse effect on acne. But Wait, the release of this hormone can be addressed through proper nutrition. Im sure you’re familiar with the importance of post workout protein, but are you familiar with the importance of post-exercise carbohydrates, specifically dextrose (aka glucose). After exercise it is recommended that a 50/50 mix of dextrose/ Maltodextrin is consumed. The dextrose is a monasaccharide (single chain sugar) and is absorbed rapidly. To handle the sugar rush your body responds by releasing insulin. Spiked insulin levels suppress cortisol production. This has 2 advantages, 1 clearer skin, and 2 It switches your body’s hormonal state from catabolic to anabolic meaning energy is derived from the food you have digested rather than the brake down of protein (your muscles). This means better muscle gains. :D

Heavy lifting also increases testosterone and burns some in DHT, both of these contribute to increased oil production, enlarged sebaceous glands=more acne

i just shower after i workout.. no soap or anything.

This is what I do, rinse in cool water in the shower. I haven't found that i breakout more when I don't use soap/ cleanser after I workout. Acne washes three times a day would be alot for your skin.

There has been some speculation that the amount of washing and sebum production have no corolation. Bryan has a few good posts on it if you can to read them. I try to plan my workouts around my shower so I don't have to worry about it. I wouldn't use an acne cleanser 3 times a day, many of them have really harsh ingrediants and can irritate your skin if you frequently use them.