Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have large pores on my nose, The slightest pressure will cause them to expel "strings" of a whiteish pasty substance. Unlike an infected pimple, these pores are not painful or red or difficult to drain--just disgusting.

Does anyone know what this is or have a similar experience? Here's the problem--if the pasty stuff is caused by bacteria, then presumably over-the-counter anti-acne products will help. If, on the other hand, this is just oily buildup, what the heck do you do to get rid of it? I have already have one damaged pore that keeps filling up with this whitish pasty stuff and having to be drained, leading to an endless cycle of scabbing, flaking, redness, filling and draining.

It's very depressing and if anyone out there can help it would be very much appreciated. The derm just says: it's probably a cyst--there's nothing that can be done short of surgery. I know if I could just stop the gunk from filling it, it would probably heal.

Somebody out there must have had a simialr experience. If so, please post!

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

A broad spectrum antiseptic will do the trick. Try getting your hands on some Tea Tree Oil.

I have had the _exact_ same problem all my adult life, and I'm inclined to disagree with the previous post. IMO, this condition is not caused by bacteria, but by overproduction of sebum and possibly hyperkeratinization (skin cells shed too fast, stick together).

The only way I know of to attack this problem is with a topical retinoid treatment ( shrinks sebaceous glands, makes skin cells less sticky). Retin A worked for me a few years back -- after a few months on it, the only thing I could extract from my nose pores was a tiny bit of clear oil.

I was too lazy to keep going to the derm for Retin A prescriptions, but am now using Green Cream (a high-retinol OTC product) and it's working very well for me. Before starting with the green cream, I had 2 spots just like the ones you describe -- they were stuck in a constant cycle of filling up, being drained, scabbing over, filling up again. I haven't had any trouble with them in weeks. Yay!

Q

EDIT: I don't think Retin A shrinks the sebaceous glands. Sorry for the misleading info. Q

I really appreciate the insights. This website is more helpful than any derm I've seen yet.

It might help if I understood a few fundamental things:

1. Is bacteria essential to making this pasty substance, or can it be just sebum/oils?

2. Does Retin-A really shrink sebacious galnds--I've heard conflicting reports?

3. Is there any other way (short of accutane) to reduce oil production generally?

4. Is there any way to shut down one individual pore altogether?

5. What must it be like for those lucky people who never have to wake up worrying about their skin?

Please share your expertise.

Thank you all.

Hello. I get these in the corner of my mouth, It appears to be a very small bump, then if I squeez it a string comes out like you said. Unlike you after I squeezed them out they don't come back, maybe because I don't get them in the pores I dont know, but they're definatly yuck and one of mine was freakishly long, like a worm.

I have large pores on my nose also. The sebum oxidizes and turns black. If I squeeze my nose, then the sebum is released like little stings. I can keep doing this until the pores are not black. But after 4-5 days it comes back. I've tried St. Ives pore cleanser, and it seems to work alright. I wish there was a way to make these pores less noticeable. I've tried many things. I heard tea tree oil works. I hate the way the pores look!

I have large pores on my nose, The slightest pressure will cause them to expel "strings" of a whiteish pasty substance. Unlike an infected pimple, these pores are not painful or red or difficult to drain--just disgusting.

How long are those "strings"? How many different pores do they exude from?

Bryan

I have large pores on my nose also. The sebum oxidizes and turns black. If I squeeze my nose, then the sebum is released like little stings. I can keep doing this until the pores are not black. But after 4-5 days it comes back. I've tried St. Ives pore cleanser, and it seems to work alright. I wish there was a way to make these pores less noticeable. I've tried many things. I heard tea tree oil works. I hate the way the pores look!

Retin A is an excellent treatment for blackheads. Some oils can also help by partially dissolving the sebum plug so the blackhead can work loose and come out.

Q

I have the same problem, my skin is basically clear, but I have all kinds of clogged pores. I put a little pressure on them and this "string" of white stuff comes out, it's very nasty. Most of the time I just pick at my face and get all that stuff out, sometimes leading to a few small whiteheads or no infection at all. After making my face all red and ugly the pores normally stay clear for up to 5 days...then fill right back up...*sigh*. I really have no clue how to get rid of them. To be honest I'm sort of screwed because I have very sensitive skin so I can't use SA, BP, or anything harsh and drying. I can't even use a wash cloth on my skin.

I have the same problem, my skin is basically clear, but I have all kinds of clogged pores. I put a little pressure on them and this "string" of white stuff comes out, it's very nasty. Most of the time I just pick at my face and get all that stuff out, sometimes leading to a few small whiteheads or no infection at all. After making my face all red and ugly the pores normally stay clear for up to 5 days...then fill right back up...*sigh*. I really have no clue how to get rid of them. To be honest I'm sort of screwed because I have very sensitive skin so I can't use SA, BP, or anything harsh and drying. I can't even use a wash cloth on my skin.

Check this out:

www.greencream.com

The Level 3 might help you.

Q

I have the same problem, my skin is basically clear, but I have all kinds of clogged pores. I put a little pressure on them and this "string" of white stuff comes out, it's very nasty.

How long is this "string" of stuff? How many different pores does it exude from?

Bryan

I have the same problem, my skin is basically clear, but I have all kinds of clogged pores. I put a little pressure on them and this "string" of white stuff comes out, it's very nasty.

How long is this "string" of stuff? How many different pores does it exude from?

Bryan

The length depends on how long I control my need to squeeze on my face, the longer I control myself the more stuff comes out of my pore, if I do it everyday very little comes out. My trouble spot is the area of your chin/cheeck that is right under the corners of your mouth...along with my nose and sometime my forehead.

The length depends on how long I control my need to squeeze on my face, the longer I control myself the more stuff comes out of my pore, if I do it everyday very little comes out.

Ok, so if you do it once every three days, how long is that "string" of stuff that comes out? I'm looking for an actual figure here! :)

Also, I'd like to know this, too: how many different pores does it come out of?

Bryan

The length depends on how long I control my need to squeeze on my face, the longer I control myself the more stuff comes out of my pore, if I do it everyday very little comes out.

Ok, so if you do it once every three days, how long is that "string" of stuff that comes out? I'm looking for an actual figure here! :)

Also, I'd like to know this, too: how many different pores does it come out of?

Bryan

Okay, I have the's string things too Bryan. I used to have way more than I do now, since I started using toipcal retinoids. Before I was using retinoids I was able to squeeze out about 10-15 "strings" every few days, from the pores on my nose, and under my bottom lip. There was something kinda gratifying about stitting there squeezing them out. Some of them were tiny blackheads, and some were still white (hadn't had the chance to fully oxidize yet.

Now I can only get one or two every few weeks thanks to my Retin-A. As far as the legnth goes of these, I guess it was somewhere around 0.5mm-1.0mm.

I'm pretty sure that they are open comedoes. I have oily skin, and large pores on my nose. The pores are so large that they don't completely clog up they way they do on other areas of my face. I never actually got a pimple on my nose or under my chin. Just these little open comedo things. When pressure is appled the plug can be extracted. The plug isn't caused by bacteria, so BP and tea tree oil, shouldn't have much of an effect (although the BP may dry them out a bit). They are mostly made up of dead skin cells, that aren't shed properly from the walls of the pores combined with sebum....

yea, i have it too. on my bad days, i can pull out around 5 of them. it's a slight skin-coloured bump on the skin i can only see in the right lighting, i press down like im about to pop a zit, and a tiny white "stick" (that looks like a tiny piece of uncooked rice) comes up. these are located on the forehead, along hairline, and beside the nose on the cheeks. they're different from the blackheads i get on my nose.

labgirl81 uses retin-a. i would like to stay away from these medicine-ish treatments. how would i treat this?

Now I can only get one or two every few weeks thanks to my Retin-A. As far as the legnth goes of these, I guess it was somewhere around 0.5mm-1.0mm.

Ok, that's what I wanted to know! The descriptions that all of you provided made me immediately think of something odd which I read about in (surprise, surprise) a Kligman study. I'm a little pressed for time at the moment, but I'll post later about this other thing that they _may_ possibly be...

Bryan

Ok, that's what I wanted to know! The descriptions that all of you provided made me immediately think of something odd which I read about in (surprise, surprise) a Kligman study. I'm a little pressed for time at the moment, but I'll post later about this other thing that they _may_ possibly be...

Bryan

k, don't freak me out. somebody once told me it's because i've got a kind of worm on my face. :shock: :wall: :wall:

Bryan

Yeah I read about that too....something called trichostasis spinulosa, where little clusters of immature hairs become embedded in hair follicles plugging up the pores. It's caused by the abnormal development of hair follicles. The black dots in the pores are actually little tufts of hair, rather than sebaceous material and dead skin cells, like true blackheads. They can't be extracted (squeezed out) the way that blackheads can. This usually affects the skin of the nose of older adults. Chances are that most of us here actually do have open comedoes (true blackheads), and not this disorder, but it's not completely impossible....Topical retinoids are supposed to help with this condition as well as actual blackheads.....

Wow--thank you all for the responses. Now comes the real problem: a true catch-22.

A year ago (yes a YEAR), I drained a deep pimple on my nose, and it took FOREVER to heal. It kept scabbing and shedding, leaving a visible hole. I suspect that I damaged/scarred it with generous amounts of OXY-10 and even a styptic pencil when it bled.

Over time it gradually reduced in size, but now I have a little red spot that never goes away and fills with this stringy-subum stuff every week or so. I then have to choose between walking around with a red-rimmed sebum sac in the middle of my face (small--maybe 2-3mm, but ugly) or draining it with gentle pressure which tends to cause scabbing and prevent healing.

This cycle is driving me absolutely nuts. I could live with a static red mark. I could live with fairly invisible strings. But this is like a perma-pimple. I have considered surgery, but that would likely leave a worse scar. I have tried tea tree oil, liquid bo, oxy 10, Clearasil (sulfur), long periods (like months) of leaving it alone altogether, salycilic acid...you name it.

I am finally trying a retin-A treatement...

PLease help?

Have you started with the Retin A yet? I would think it would help considerably with the "perma-pimple" -- since I've been using topical retinoids, I've found that pimples dry up and disappear quite quickly.

Q

Dear Q-

Yes I have started on Retin-A, and while it's too soon to say, there are some signs that it may be working.

If I had to guess I would say that I either had a cyst and never got the sac out or scarred the pore so badly that it never healed. Either way, the thing lives on. I truly believe that my poor skin would heal if it could just get a month or two with no sebum buildup stretching the pore walls and no tampering from me to remove it but unless I can find an anti-sebum agent, I just don't know how to make that happen.

I feel silly because my skin is usually decent apart from this horror story, but it has completely shattered my confidence. If I could kill this monstrosity I would endure the occasional breakout with pleasure.

Any advice you or other can give is much appreciated. The derms I have spoken to are practically useless....

Keep the posts coming, please!

I think I have a similar issue. It takes strong pressure -- like squeezing my nose with my fingernails (bad) -- but I get those little strings, or at least little bits coming out. What I've found most effective -- actually the only thing I've found effective -- is using a BHA peel-type treatment. The aspirin mask works for this somewhat, especially used with a strong exfoliant like the olay micro/peel kit. The neutrogena scar fading peel works great for clearing out these perpetually clogged types of pores. I can't say it's doing anything for acne marks but I've been using it every night (yes, it says 1-3x per week, but it's only 2% SA and hardly qualifies as a peel) and my pores are giving up gunk like crazy. I have pores that have been clogged for years I think (those dark dots when you look closely at your nose) on my nose and cheeks and chin and the aspirin mask cleaned them up a bit but this is doing a great job of it. The only problem is it's pretty expensive for a small tube.

So last night I decided to squeeze the "strings" out of my pores on my nose. I haven't done it in about a month, just because they didn't look that noticable. I washed my face with warm water, and very gently applied pressure to my nose. Almost every pore had a little plug in it, although they are much smaller (thinner) than they used to be....thanks to the topical retinoids I suppose. I have to say it was very gratifying, and productive. Kinda like a mini facial. I was careful to not use my nails (mine are short anyway) and not to squeese too hard. They came out so easily. A few of them were actualy blackheads, but most of them were just flesh colored. After I was done I applied a thin coat of Retin-A Micro. My nose was a little red and swollen, but this morning the redness and swelling was gone and my pores on my nose looked invisable.

2. Does Retin-A really shrink sebacious galnds--I've heard conflicting reports?

Hi, walker -- no, I believe it does not. I am sorry for the misleading post.

I have had incredible success reducing my own personal oil slick using topical vitamin A in an oil solution. I assumed all topical retinoids would have the same effect, but apparently that is not true at all; a number of Retin A, Differin, and Tazorac users have chimed in to point out how very wrong I am.

Here is some info from www.thevitamincure.com that might explain this:

"Because retinoic acid (Retin A) is water-based, it cannot penetrate clogged pores to shutdown overactive sebaceous glands. Instead, the Vitamin A+ Skin Solution's unique blend of oils and retinyl palmitate cures acne naturally by overcoming the dermal barrier"

Not being a scientist, I can't speak to this claim personally, but it does seem to make sense. I'm sure there are people on the board who know much more than I. (Lab Girl, are you out there?)

Again, my apologies for the false information.

Q

No apology necessary Q--I'm just looking for any help or advice available.

If there's SOMETHING that shuts down those pesky sebacious glands, or even slows them down FOR GOD"S SAKE somebody say so! Lab Girl? Acne Boy? Science Guy? Aaaaaanyone?