Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
natty_nbm

Acupuncture and Herbal Medice

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know if anyone has tried acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine to get rid of acne. I am a 22 year old female and today I went to my first appointement. The Dr. took a couple of things out from my diet (dairy, citric fruits, spices, even ginger, and sweets). She also gave me some herbal supplements for my skin, for stress (I just graduated but I have been stressed all my life, since I'm perfectionist..), and to make me go to the restroom at least twice a day... And of course, she put needles all over (even one on the top of my head!)because she said the problem was coming from my liver and it was "damp-heat". She said I have to drink the herbal supplements she gave me and go to one session of acupuncture once a week for two months.

I must add that I never suffered from acne as a teenager, and I was into diets since I was 12 years old cuz I wanted to be healthy. My skin was great! But I was always perfectionist and getting too stressed and anxious because of school. Because of this I got allergies for two years that no doctor knew why I was getting them, since there was no pattern. I believe it was psychological, because it later dissappeared...

Anyhow, I just wanted to know if anyone of you have gone through this type of treatment and how did it go??

Natty

I've tried various chinese herbal remedies, they helped a bit, but not a lot. I always wanted to try acupuncture though.

Not related to acne, but here's scientific proove that acupuncture does affect the brain to lessen pain. So perhaps it's useful for other things as well.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know if anyone has tried acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine to get rid of acne. I am a 22 year old female and today I went to my first appointement. The Dr. took a couple of things out from my diet (dairy, citric fruits, spices, even ginger, and sweets). She also gave me some herbal supplements for my skin, for stress (I just graduated but I have been stressed all my life, since I'm perfectionist..), and to make me go to the restroom at least twice a day... And of course, she put needles all over (even one on the top of my head!)because she said the problem was coming from my liver and it was "damp-heat". She said I have to drink the herbal supplements she gave me and go to one session of acupuncture once a week for two months.

I must add that I never suffered from acne as a teenager, and I was into diets since I was 12 years old cuz I wanted to be healthy. My skin was great! But I was always perfectionist and getting too stressed and anxious because of school. Because of this I got allergies for two years that no doctor knew why I was getting them, since there was no pattern. I believe it was psychological, because it later dissappeared...

Anyhow, I just wanted to know if anyone of you have gone through this type of treatment and how did it go??

Natty

im using E101 acne getaway at the moment its a chinese herbal lotion,ive only been using it a few days ..could be my lucky week.. maybe its too soon to say its working... ive gone from having 12 zits to none :dance: .. just a few tiny dots where prev.ones r healing. theres also chinese herbal pills called magarite which i was also intending to buy but ill wait n c maybe i wont need 2. (normally there supposed to take a few wks to notice an improvement..as for magarite thats meant 2 be fast-acting.)

As for the chinese theory on 'heat' and 'dampness' im not sure i really buy that...im very health conscious..my diet is basically veg fruit legumes fish beans and brown rice..& i still break out. :mad: the only thing ive noticed re diet is if i stop eating whole-soy-bean prod. i break out more & turn into an eeevil moody monster :evil: once a month (just thought id share that with y'all)

Ive tried it, for about 3 months. I didnt saw any improvement so I stopped it. I received acupuncture 4 times, didnt need more she said. Had to take a chinese herbal powdermix with water before every meal. There was cinnamon, ginger and liquorice in it and more...

She was very vague though, first she said its my bowels.... then my lungs... :/

because she said the problem was coming from my liver and it was "damp-heat". She said I have to drink the herbal supplements she gave me and go to one session of acupuncture once a week for two months.

thats me exactly, with teh liver especially. except the acupuncture was in the ears. the redness did seem to fade a little immediately after the session. the guy said it'd take maybe 3 months.

because she said the problem was coming from my liver and it was "damp-heat". She said I have to drink the herbal supplements she gave me and go to one session of acupuncture once a week for two months.

thats me exactly, with teh liver especially. except the acupuncture was in the ears. the redness did seem to fade a little immediately after the session. the guy said it'd take maybe 3 months.

Yes, I got acupuncture in my ears as well. The other places were for different things. In my case I believe there might be a chance this helps since when I used to get my alergies the doctors put me on a diet to stop upsetting my liver and causing the alergies. At that time the doctors explained that you may eat all you want but you cannot abuse of those things that upset the liver because I am prone to reactions. I was explained your organism has like a "memory" for foods, so to clean it you may spend sometime without eating these type of foods, and then introduce them back again into your diet but little quantites. After I got cured of allergies, I stopped pain attention to that. Sometimes it is hard to keep these diets for long :D .

i just had my first acupuncture session almost 3 weeks ago. the woman i go to said that she believes it's because of my hormones, and that there is too much heat in my body (she gathered that from asking me questions about my cycle). i have to drink this tea twice a day and take some herbs which are in capsule form after each meal (9 a day total). the needles are very painless, i think i only had about 8 or 9 total and by the end of the session (i lay in a dark room for 30 mins) i feel very relaxed. she also gave me a face wash and two topical ointments to put on in the morning and at night.

she said because it's a hormonal issue, it will take "a while" but she didn't say how many sessions, and i go once a week. my aunt is really generous and paid for 5 sessions for me and i just found out from my dad that our insurance covers them for $25 per session (w/o insurance it's $65 or if you buy a pack of 5 sessions, they're $55 each). i'm not sure how much the products were because my aunt bought them, but i think they're a little on the pricey side.

anyways, i can't really tell if it's helping yet and i know things take a while, so i'm going to go for 10 sessions (10 weeks) and see how it goes. my face does feel less itchy though, which i always had a problem with.

well, good luck to you and i hope that it helps!

I have not tried acupunture for acne, but (before I had acne), I had it done for my neck after I was in a bad car accident. I was at a complete stop and and got rear-ended by someone going 60mph. It was not pretty. My neck was in pretty bad shape. Accupunture completely healed it. I have no residual pain. I knew it was the accupuncture because after a session it would feel so great, but then it would start to hurt again. After each session it would feel good for a longer amount of time, until finally it just didn't bother me at all anymore. It took awhile though - 8 or 9 months, but by 3-4 mos. I was just going once a month.

Even though I was going for neck pain, she would look at my tongue every time and she seemed to think I had a congested liver. Of course I paid little attention because I didn't have acne at the time! But she would do some liver points (like inside the ears), and once it actually made me slightly nauseous for a week. Which makes sense if you go for the whole congested liver/liver flushing theories.

Just some thoughts. Hope it works out for you.

I went to my second session today. This time she put more needles on me: 3 in my head, 2 in each side of my face (like near the ears), 2 in my left ear, 1 in the middle of my chest, one under each of my breasts, 1 in each side of my belly, 1 under my navel, 2 in each leg, 1 in each feet, and 1 in my left arm (20!). This time she left me for longer time under the lamp. It is very relaxing.

She says she doesn't believe in the creams my dermatologist is giving me, because they just try to cure the superficial problem, but not internal. So what happens is that you might get clear, but the problem will come back again because it comes from the inside out. She told me that changing the diet and lifestyle habits will not change the condition from one day to the next. It takes some time for the body to get back in balance.

I can't say the treatment is working or not right now. i think it is too early to say, but I do feel more relaxed.