Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
real maverick

Don't try too much at once

Hi guys,

I'm alarmed by some of the posts I read, some of you cutting out everything from your diets, dairy, wheat, etc etc etc.

As most of you know, what causes acne in one person is different to the next, you need to find out what it is that causes yours, you can't do this by doing 1001 things all at once, as you'll not know what's helping.

Start with one thing at a time, such as cutting out dairy, monitor your skin over the next few weeks and take it from there, I do not believe for one minute that it takes 6 months to see the effects, if something is not agreeing with your body then I suspect you'll see results within a few weeks of avoiding it.

Some of you are avoiding milk because of the iodine, while others are avoiding it because of the claims it's not designed for human consumption. Some of you are avoiding it like the plague but it may have no effect on your skin at all.

And the craziest part of it all, is that some of you are following the most strict of diets and still have shit skin, surely that tells you the diet isn't working and perhaps diet isn't even the reason for your acne.

There is no point in making your life any more difficult if you're not seeing results, take it one step at a time guys and monitor results closely, don't keep adding supplement after supplement to your diet just because Joe blogs says it's helped their acne, introduce new things one at a time and MONITOR!

I know some of you follow this sort of method, but others are frantically searching without taking the time to see what really does help and what makes it worse.

Paul

For me, it's starting to be about way more than my skin. If I were guaranteed to never get another pimple in my life from today on, I would still NEVER go back to eating the way I used to. I think that the way I eat now is perfectly healthy and ideal. (By the way, I'm not vegan or vegetarian.)

So I think it's ridiculous when people tell me I'm paranoid/crazy for cutting so much out of my diet. Do they think I'll benefit from trans fats, refined sugar, etc.?

That's not to say that I never ever "cheat". I do occasionally, and I don't get all worried that I'm going to break out.

@ kaleidoscope, but if your whole life is governed by your diet, which many are, then I think that is ridiculous.

Eating healthy is great, but reading in to every single claim and avoiding it, is overdoing it in my opinion.

Yea i agree with this...some of you may have strict diet and be switching to things that cause acne even!! Like for me i went on strict diet..and switched from milk to soy (soy gave me new acne on neck) and flaxseeds bc its supposed to be good but im guess im allergic bc it gave me cysts on my ALWAYS CLEAR back...and then later peanut butter which i never eat....i added and it gave me acne like rash on my back (not cysts..but acne rash all over) anyways stopped peanut butter and back has been perfect for months now....its VERY difficult to figure out what you can tolerate and what u cant...i just try not to over do it on anything bad...i only really have milk w my coffee (i know coffee is not good for u..but am ok with 1 cup a day) anyways EVERYONE is different and u need to figure out ur limits etc

Agreed.

My advice is.. 1. come to terms with your acne. thats prolly one of the best things i ever did for myself

2. find a sensible, well researched diet that fits you, and be confident in it

3. try to achieve healthy skin, not necessarily acne-free skin

and after all that, all you can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst

most important is coming to terms with it though.. that can save you a mile of stress and grief and frustration, worries, guilts and anxieties, all of which show up in your face somehow (either through acne breakouts, expressions, lines and wrinkles, choose your poison)

Agreed.

My advice is.. 1. come to terms with your acne. thats prolly one of the best things i ever did for myself

2. find a sensible, well researched diet that fits you, and be confident in it

3. try to achieve healthy skin, not necessarily acne-free skin

and after all that, all you can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst

most important is coming to terms with it though.. that can save you a mile of stress and grief and frustration, worries, guilts and anxieties, all of which show up in your face somehow (either through acne breakouts, expressions, lines and wrinkles, choose your poison)

Second Agreed.

hear hear! a very good sensible post. i agree that if food is causing acne you know very quickly. I never bought this "it takes weeks for a spot to develop".

well said kaleidoscope. :)

personally, i try to avoid sugar, dairy and wheat/gluten products and for me.. it is with very good reason. i didn't just read one person's post one day and decide to jump on the band wagon. i've suffered acne for over 20 years and did not for the life of me want to believe it had anything to do with my diet.

i COMPLETELY disagree that one can figure out if their acne is diet related in just a few weeks. that belief/claim is precisely why for 20 years i didn't think that my acne was diet related. because on many occasions, i would eliminate something for 2-3 weeks, see no difference, and then give up. i had to keep at it religously for NEARLY THREE MONTHS before i began to see a big enough difference in my acne and began to truly learn and understand what my aggravating food items were. perhaps not everyone will take that long.. and hey, lucky for them. but the point is - for some it may.

basically my point is that i've found a solution that works wonderfully for me - and contrary to what is suggested above - it did require me to cut a lot out of my diet for more than a few weeks. :)

i am now a firm believer in the 'you are what you eat' theory. this means, yes, my life IS governed by what i eat - and because of this my life is enhanced and has improved dramatically. i feel so much better, i have a ton more energy, my skin looks WAY healthier, and i've eliminated my sinus allergy/headaches, etc. etc.

it certainly isn't like i'm moping around angry and starving to death, bitter that i can't spend my days gorging on crappy foods!!

it certainly isn't like i'm moping around angry and starving to death, bitter that i can't spend my days gorging on crappy foods!!
That's good, you found what works for you, and you're happier than you were before you started.

My point was that not everybody goes about it sensibly, and are trying so many things at once it's hard to tell what helps and what makes matters worse.

Im my experience 2 weeks is long enough to see the negative effects of certain foods, but everybody is different.

i tried the diet change for over 3 months and nothing. i really refuse to believe that for even a small percentage of people its takes longer. maybe it was other factors that got you clear xheatherleighx but over 3 months to see a difference is a long long time. our bodies work in something like 2 week cycles?

its not about gouging on junk food its been able to go into a nice restaraunt and order what ever is on the menu with out that horrible nasty thought in the back of your mind............"will this cause me to break out". its about not eating the same food as everyone else at a dinner party. its about avoiding foods that you have convinced yourself cause you to break out.

to be honest i think the sugar/insulin spike theory has a fair amount of substance for most suffers here, but brown bread, milk, alcohol, fried foods, crips/chips, dairy, red meat (add whatever you want from the long long list of posts around here) isnt going to make the VAST majority of people on this board break out.

its not about gouging on junk food its been able to go into a nice restaraunt and order what ever is on the menu with out that horrible nasty thought in the back of your mind............"will this cause me to break out". its about not eating the same food as everyone else at a dinner party. its about avoiding foods that you have convinced yourself cause you to break out.

I agree with that. That's why I gave up on the diet issue. I was going into restaurants with my friends and watching them eat, hungry myself, but too afraid to order anything because of the fear of breaking out. Having dinner with the family and constantly worrying about breaking out. Being over someone's house and not eating with them because I feared their food. The sad thing is, that old fear is still there. Once I started getting into the issue of food and acne, it consumed me so completely. It's still there in the back of my head and it resurfaces every once and a while. Once that fear is there, it's hard to get rid of.

Truth is, I've changed my diet over the years, and I've never found a corelation. My acne comes and goes like the seasons. It's unpredictable.

One of my New Years resolutions for myself is to stop spending so much time searching for the "causes of acne", so that I can move on with my life. I could spend years trying to pinpoint the cause and never find it. I only get one life, I don't want to waste it. My acne will either go away on its own, or it will stay with me, but I've found a method (exfoliation) that makes my skin look nice and the spots I get very tiny. It's done well for me and I'm grateful.

good for you. this forum is great and theres some lovely people on here but some of the bullshit regarding food and acne on the forum just f**ks people up. i am a very strong willed person but i came to this forum and got sucked in by the "drop this food and get clear posts" and it ruined my life for 3 months, and as you said although i am eating normal again (and even.........gasp..........drinking beer again) every now and again i still get paranoid about the food. this is why i feel sorry for all the people out there right now that THINK they have candida..........for gods sake guys get a grip.....do you have thrush or something?

I cut out all junk food's, bread, potato, chocolate, anything sweet and all soda drinks for 2 and a half week's, results....NO DIFFERENCE!

You have to be careful there my friend when you do a drastic change to your diet. It throws the regulation of your body off...so instead of looking for a way to eliminate acne, turns out you get more because of the unbalance of the body. It's happened to me so many times years ago lol I don't play with my diet plans anymore...when I do eliminate a product from my system, I do it gradually but not everything at once. :D

A lot of the things you attribute to diet can be pure coincidence, as well. Just because you introduce a new food, break out a lot, and then stop breaking out when you stop eating it doesn't mean it made you break out. You could just have had a spurt of breakouts out of the blue, it's not that rare an occurance! For awhile I thought that eating lots of sugar was related to my breaking out. I then realized that I had sugar cravings at the start of PMS, then had my PMS breakouts, resolved to stop eating it after they subsided, avoided it for a few weeks and was clear, had a huge craving (PMS) and gave in, broke out again...It was all hormonal. I've tried cutting out diet coke, desserts, bread, whatever, and nothing really works, and I don't know that it'd be worth it anyways. The only thing that's made a difference that I couldn't attribute to hormones or other outside factors was a version of the perricone 3-day, and I felt like absolute hell so I would never put myself through that again. I looked okay but I was cranky, tired, had a throbbing headache, and dreaded eating to the point that I skipped at least one meal a day. And that was on a "healthy" diet of salmon, eggs, steamed veggies, romaine lettuce, nuts, and oatmeal in the morning, it wasn't even some absurd liver flush. Perfect skin is not worth a diet that makes me feel that crappy.

Wait, wait... I thought things like chocolate had absolutely no affect on your skin, that usually it was just a psychological thing?

Wait, wait... I thought things like chocolate had absolutely no affect on your skin, that usually it was just a psychological thing?

Yeah...for me it was hormonal. The pattern made it look like my sugar/chocolate binges caused my acne. The truth was that they were both just caused by pms and happened at the same time.

Yes, finally some sense made! I went through the pattern, "will this break me out?" "did that have peanuts in it?" "was it made with pork?" I drove my self crazy and was crabby all the time! even my kids commented on my behavior! I tried all the stuff too, masks, natural stuff, exfoliation, any thing that came along I tried, only to make my skin worse. Finally hit me on another post that doing too much to your face is not good, dropped the exfoliation, skin looks better, I have given up on having perfect skin( you would think at 46 I would - NO!) so now I just settle on skin that looks good, not red and irritated and I know for sure what does cause the worst break outs on my neck and avoid them. I still get envious of my sister who has and always had clear skin and my mom too, but who knows why I get break outs and they don't I am not going to go insane over it! Now to get my 18 year old to settle down with her skin, she trys everything too and my 16 yr old barely washes her face and doesn't do anything and she only has a couple here and there, only when its that "time of the month" is there more. So I've learned a lot lately, to bad I didn't do this 30yrs ago, could have saved my self alot of heartache and problems.

Yeah...for me it was hormonal. The pattern made it look like my sugar/chocolate binges caused my acne. The truth was that they were both just caused by pms and happened at the same time.

my 'hormonal' acne.. is manipulated and brought under control through diet. insulin, is a hormone. it is the key hormone that controls the flow of glucose (sugar) in and out of the cells in our body. if i eat a diet that is very high in sugars - this causes me to break out. if i eat a diet very low in sugars, i'm clear.

so again, hormonal acne can be treated through diet. :)