Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Simmo

Acne on one side of face

Hi,

I have had acne for years (20+) and managed to be fairly clear over extended periods, been on tane twice and numerous antibiotics and topicals. Over the last couple of years I have been developing an area on the left hand side of my face where i shave which breaks out a lot with small spots coming to whiteheads. I am getting frustrated about this as it is the only area I have with any activity, right hand side and rest of face is completly clear. I have been cycling antibiotics mainly minocin, vibramycin and trimethoprim along with various topicals benzamycin, duac and differin. I am now at the stage where I can't keep this area clear for any length of time. It is starting to get me down and stop me doing things. I am considering a third course of accutane but as the area is so isolated I would rather find an alternative. I did ask my derm if it could be folliculitis but he doesn't seem to think so. Also it seems to come in cycles, bad for a couple of days then clears a bit then repeats the cycle. Any suggestions or anyone had similar problem?

Thanks

some people say it is your pillow if you breakout on the same side of your face that you sleep on... try sleeping on ur back or changing ur case a lot or washing with a different washing powder.

Also make sure your phone and cell phone are clean if you put them to the left side of your face. I wipe mine with a bit of alcohol. Agree with aeman on making sure you change your pillowcase often and wash your pillow if you sleep on that side and can't sleep on your back (I can't). And changing your detergent to a very gentle one with no harsh ingredients available at the health food store is a good idea too.

You sound like me having tried just about every medication for the past twenty years or so. Differin constantly broke me out in whiteheads so maybe you could experiment with not using it on the left side to see if that is the culprit. According to my derm sometimes the bacteria tends to colonize in one area. I break out on the right side!

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I hear what you are saying about phones, pillows etc but I am fairly certain that is not the case as i turn from side to side and the rest of me is completly clear. It is a few years since my last tane and maybe I think i have just used so many antibiotics that my skin bacteria becomes resistant very quickly even when i cycle them. Running out of plan B's but don't really want to do tane No 3 for such a small area. Still it is starting to stop me doing things when it breaks out which is a sure sign that I have to take action. The break from antibiotics would also do me good. When all this is over I'm having my derms job!!!!!!