Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ScvRusher

Dermatolgist Trip Report

I had an apointment with a dermatologist today. Luckily I live near 10 dermatolists so it took me 2 minutes to get there. The office was nice and the staff was friendly. After filling out a few forms I met with the dematologist and he started asking some questions. How long I'm been suffering from acne, what kind of medications have a used, any allergies- that kind of stuff. I then ask him about accutane and he tells me info. that I've already read from this site. It would be good for my cystic/scarring type acne. Then he told me it would cost something like over $1000 a month for accutane. And this doesn't take into account the monthly office visits, blood tests, and lab work needed aswell. Perhaps its time I shopped around for a health plan. He noticed the grimace on my face and suggested that I try some other medications first. I agreed.

He gave some samples of Adoxa (doxycycline) and Duac Gel (clindamycin 1%, benzoyl peroxide 5%) He instructed me to take a pill each night (I think) and continue using my cleanser in conjuction with the new cream.

I should also start looking at health care plans.

Accutane is not 1000$/ a month mate. It's going to cost you 400-500$ if you have severe acne. Blood tests are about 100$, visits to doctor are 70$?

So the whole thing goes under 700$..

It's fucked up, but you should move to Canada. It's all free here :)

Accutane is not 1000$/ a month mate. It's going to cost you 400-500$ if you have severe acne. Blood tests are about 100$, visits to doctor are 70$?

So the whole thing goes under 700$..

It's fucked up, but you should move to Canada. It's all free here :)

Weird, my derma said it generic accutane would cost about what you're stating. Canada here I come...

I live in Canada ont.

The blood work is free, trips to the derm are free...

I pay $3.99/month for accutane I have a drug plan

It depends on how many packs you need to make your dosage. A pack of generic 40mg is about $280 here with no insurance. My co-pay is $30 on that. But if you have a dosage like 60mg - the pills don't come in that strength, so you have to buy a pack of 20 and a pack of 40, and pay for both packs. If you go for the brand name Accutane then you start getting into the price range you were quoted.

I have to get two boxes a month because my dosage is 60mg and it cost me about 900.00 for both boxes w/ out insurance.