Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aznsunchiq

Accutane veteran, my new regimen

I would just like to share my experiences with everyone! I've had acne since i was 12 and now I'm 21. I've tried going to numerous dermatologist for years, but nothing really worked and it was really expensive. Finally when I was 17 a new doctor put me on Accutane because he said my skin was so stubborn. I loved it at first, I was SO excited to go on it! He gave me the lowest dosage, 10 mg every other day and he basically told me I had to be on it forever (This was in a foreign country by the way) and I was a little doubtful and depressed because I didn't like the idea at all!!

Anyway, my skin quit producing the insane amount of oil I used to experience before Accutane which I loooved. The acne started going away. But later a boyfriend noticed stretchmarks on my lower back. Which is odd because I've always been pretty slender. He looked it up and told me that Accutane causes stretchmarks because of the drying effect; it makes the skin less resilient and makes it tear easily. So I quit.

I was off it for about 2-3 months and my skin broke out like crazy! I begged my parents to put me back on Accutane (they were paying for it) but they refused (which made me so very mad). So I moved back to the states to go back to college and it was very embarassing. I've tried ProActiv 3 years before, but the 45 dollars was a little too much. Then I heard about KLEAR ACTION, it's like proactiv with all the same ingredients except you can buy them for about $17 at drugstore.com

It said it would start working within 2-3 weeks, but it didn't for me. It was as if it wasn't working, but I was committed, and I kept using for another month and half, then I noticed my skin started clearing up! So I highly recommend it and I suggest to keep sticking to something for at least a month. Anyway, I'm sorry there is so much I wrote! Anyway here's my regimen now:

Mornings

- Klear Action Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% Face wash

- Klear Action Glycolic Acid Toner

- Klear Action Benzoyl Peroxide lotion

- Makeup (L'oreal True Match foundation, and CoverGirl Transculcent Powder in Medium, it's not hard to wash off and won't make you break out!)

Evening (Around 6pm-7pm)

- Wash my face with Clean & Clear Makeup Removing Cleanser (in the blue foaming pump) ($5.99

)

Before Bedtime

- Wash face with Klear Action Face wash

- KA Toner

- KA BP lotion

(Sometimes when I come back later than usual, I would skip the 2nd face wash, and continue with the Toner and Lotion after washing my face with Clean & Clear makeup remover)

and THIS IS IMPORTANT:

Although the KA facewash is somewhat abrasive, it may not be enough to even out your skin as much as you'd like. Once a week (try not to do anymore, because being too abrasive to your skin will make it oilier) with St. Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub. You can opt for the non-medicated kind since it's usually not recommended to use Salicylic Acid at the same time with Benzoyl Peroxide. But I use it anyway because I don't have problems with it and it evens out your skin even more.

At times, if your skin is very oily your pores may be very prominent (like mine) so to shrink them (temporarily of course) with Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque ($2.99) I would probably use that 2 - 3 times a week.

SO! Let's do the math (Klear Action lasts for 2 months)

Klear Action $17.00

Mint Julep $ 2.99

Clean&Clear $ 5.99

St. Ives $ 2.53

-----------------------

$ 28.51 (for about 2 months, maybe longer) Hmmm, that's a pretty good deal (for me at least) as opposed to the $45 from proactiv and the hundreds of dollars worth of doctor bills and Accutane.

Well, I just wanted to share this with everyone, I hope it doesn't sound so complicated. I still have some scars, and some hyperpigmentation marks, but hopefully that will go away soon. My boyfriend commended me the other day for taking such good care of my skin without Accutane, that he never even noticed it anymore. Now that is a compliment, and I really, really I hope i helped you guys out who are on a budget.

I still get some acne around my jaw area and near my ears. It's frustrating and I know why. Cleanliness is KEY. Change your Towels, pillowcases, whatever you put your face close to once a week. Better yet, what I used to do (but not anymore coz I lost most of them!) is buy a ton of cheap small washcloths and change it every day. And by that I mean to dry your face with after you've washed. Believe me, you'll see the difference.