Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackwell

Eat right for your blood type

Sepsi,

What do you think about this theory? There are certain lectins that do cause the blood to clump together....yet...do you think that certain ethnicities or in the case, blood types honestly must reduce or avoid consumption of them?

Thx

I think eating in accord with your racial and ethnic genetic history is a more reliable means of finding the right diet. Not all people in a ethnic group share the same blood type. The general rule of thumb is that if your ancestors came from northern regions you can probably handle a much higher intake of animal fat and protein, since thats all people would have been eating for a significant portion of the year during winter when all the crops were dead. If your ancestors came from a region near the equator they would have evolved to eat much higher plant based high carbohydrate diet and so you should be able handle a similar diet better than others. Today many people have mix between the two but some people still function much better eating either a carb based diet or a fat/protein based diet. My ancestral history is Scandinavian/Cherokee for the most part so its no wonder that my body functions optimally on a high fat/protein meat based diet. I wish I would of known about nutrigenomics before I decided to torture my body with a vegan diet for years.

Sepsi,

What do you think about this theory? There are certain lectins that do cause the blood to clump together....yet...do you think that certain ethnicities or in the case, blood types honestly must reduce or avoid consumption of them?

Thx

The blood type diet is fiction.

The biggest world expert of lectins proved that the only blood specific lectins are found in "foods" we would never buy like african bark or certain flowers.

Metabolic type is fiction too, for the simple fact that the metabolic type is not fixed.

Your metabolic type is determined by factors that are always changing according to the circumstance, your lifestyle and what your diet. None of the determinants of your metabolic type are fixed from birth and remains the same day by day.

If they work for you thogh don't fix what's not broken.

the whole stomach acid deal makes sense.. when i tried low carbing, my stomach was inflamed/sore (low hcl). And when I'm on a vegetarian diet, I'm feeling great. I would say this simple factor of gut morphology (haha) could account for the whole vegetarian/Atkins divide in modern dieters.

low fat / low meat / avoiding high iodine and phytoandrogens is what works for me.

Folks, don't buy into this quackery. Here is an article from the Skeptic's Dictionary, plus related links at the bottom of the article.

http://skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html

According to Michael Klaper, M.D.,

D'Adamo hangs much of his theory on the action of lectins, proteins found on the surface of certain foods that can cause various molecules and some types of cells to stick together. He blames lectins for serious disruptions throughout the body, from agglutination of the blood cells to cirrhosis and kidney failure....

Since most people are unaware of their blood types, let alone what foods are "evolutionarily inappropriate" for them to eat, it is reasonable to assume that on most days most people eat the "wrong foods" for their blood type (e.g., Type O eating wheat, Type A eating meat, etc.). Thus, according to D'Adamo's theory, most everyone experiences repeated showers of agglutinated red cells throughout their bloodstream after most every meal - day after day, month after month, year after year. If the capillary beds in your heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, eyes, and other essential organs are subjected to barrage after barrage of agglutinated red cells, they will eventually begin to clog up. These micro-areas of diminished blood flow would at first cause scattered, then more concentrated areas of tissue damage - with eventually many micro-infarctions scattered throughout these vital structures. The brain, heart, lungs, kidneys and adrenals would soon be irreparably damaged by these processes, resulting in potentially fatal outcomes in millions of people.

Such a syndrome of organ failures due to lectin-induced micro-infarctions of the brain, heart, kidneys, retinas, and adrenals would be well known to pathologists and other medical scientists. It would not be a subtle disease. In the pathology texts, there would be clear descriptions - complete with photographs taken through high-power, optical microscopes as well as electron microscopes - of damage from lectin deposits and blood agglutination in most major organ systems. The existence and intricacies of such a widespread disease would be as common knowledge among physicians and cell scientists as atherosclerosis is today. Yet, I am aware of no such descriptions in the pathologic literature. No pathologist I know has ever mentioned tissue infarction from lectin-induced red cell agglutination as a cause of any disease in humans.

Sepsi,

Thx

Well, to be honest I haven't checked the science behind it. And I'm not really qualified to do that. So I can't comment on the science.

But this whole blood type nonsense flies on the face of reality.

Dr. Klaper wrote a good article about it here:

http://earthsave.org/news/bloodtyp.htm

It's a fact that most Westerners eat a similar diet. And that includes wheat and other grains, meat, dairy and very little fruits and vegetables.

According to Dr. Adamo's theories that diet is would be wrong for every blood type. If his theories were true we all would be dead by now because our blood would have clumped together.

Clearly reality is at war with this.

We have studies of gigantic scale to show that meat and saturated fats are bad for practically everybody. They clog everybody's arteries. And increase everybody's risk of CVD. This is a simple fact any doctor can confirm.

Everybody by definition also includes the type O people.

Again this bit of reality is at war with Dr. Adamo's theories.

No matter your blood type putting too much animal protein through your digestive system is going to increase your risk of colon cancer. Animal protein has no fiber and it takes long time to pass through the digestive system. When the bacteria in the colon putrefy the meat it's going to turn into pretty nasty toxins, which can lead to colon cancer. This has nothing to do with blood type, and this happens to everybody.

Finally we have pretty convincing evidence that when people start eating more micronutrient rich foods (raw fruits and vegetables) and reduce meat, grain, dairy and processed food consumption their risk of getting any disease drops dramatically.

Again this happens to everybody.

Beyond these fantasy tales spun my Dr. Alamo and the like there's no convincing evidence that different humans should eat widely different diet (at least none that I've seen). We are primates and primates live mostly on fruits and vegetables.

One positive thing about blood type, metabolic type and other similar diets. They get people to eat simpler meals, which is good. The food digests better instead of putrefying in the colon. Plus they usually get people to eat more fruits and vegetables.

So I'm not surprised that some people say these diets make them feel better. But it has nothing to do with the theory of that particular diet and everything to do with improved digestion and more fruits and vegetables.

This is how I would see it.

I don't think there's much reliable data available on the Inuit health. The one I'm aware of (coming from that Swenson or whatever his name was) who lived with them for years, is that some Inuit lived up to 70 or 80 years old. I don't think anyone has said that they lived longer than people on the West. Fairly recent research said that Inuit lived on average 10 years less than average Canadians. Of course many of the Inuits don't eat their traditional diet anymore.

They apparently had 1/2 the heart attack rate as Americans. Some other sources say that they had more heart attacks. But that doesn't really make a difference.

The human body can survive on many foods. But surviving and thriving are very different things.

Humans can survive on the standard american diet up to 80 years. But I don't think anyone of us would say that SAD is healthy just because we can survive on such garbage diet for 80 years.

If the Inuits don't live even as long as people on SAD should we really use them as models of perfect health? And does it really make sense to emulate their diet.

People on the West are dropping like flies because of heart attacks. Even if Inuits had 1/2 the heart attack rate as westerner's do it's still not a big of an achievement. Shouldn't we be looking at people who have virtually zero heart attack rate and model them?

Again, only, my two pennies.

i dunno i think ayurveda makes more sense.....

what is in the food or what is the quality of the food that makes it bad? in this blood type diet.

The blood type diet is fiction.

The biggest world expert of lectins proved that the only blood specific lectins are found in "foods" we would never buy like african bark or certain flowers.

Metabolic type is fiction too, for the simple fact that the metabolic type is not fixed.

Your metabolic type is determined by factors that are always changing according to the circumstance, your lifestyle and what your diet. None of the determinants of your metabolic type are fixed from birth and remains the same day by day.

If they work for you thogh don't fix what's not broken.

<3

the blood type thing is like horoscope

It says a bunch of general stuff

If some of the stuffs are correct then u'll believe all of it, if it's wrong then u'll just walk away