Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackwell

Eat right for your blood type

Your blood type is the key to your body's entire immune system. It controls the influence of viruses, bacteria, infections, chemicals, stress, and the entire assortment of invaders and conditions that might compromise your immune system

Out of curiosity, what is recommended for B+ blood types? I must admit that I'm a bit skeptical but I'm curious to see if it matches what I've found to be the best diet for me.

Out of curiosity, what is recommended for B+ blood types? I must admit that I'm a bit skeptical but I'm curious to see if it matches what I've found to be the best diet for me.

OMG. ;_; I was just skimming through the B lists, and practically every fruit is ok. The 'avoids' are weird stuff like persimmons and prickly pears lol. sigh..

there's a lot of information so I think itd just be easier for me to type out whats on the Avoid for some main categories.

(there are reasons for why some things are on avoid [like chicken] that arent 'you cant eat this, CAUSE ITLL BREAK YOU OUT,' it talks about digestion and lectins affecting the bloodstream, amoung other things, so no one take this as a pure "Acne Diet" please)

Meats & Poultry

Bacon, chicken, cornish hens, duck, goose, ham, heart, partridge, pork, quail

Seafood

anchovy, baracuda, belga, bluegill bass, clam, conch, crab, crayfish, eel, frog, lobster, lox (smoked salmon), mussels, octopus, oysters, sea bass, shrimp, snail, striped bass, turtle, yellowtail

Dairy & Eggs

american cheese, blue cheese, ice cream, string cheese

Nuts & seeds

cashews, filberts, pignola (pine), pistachio, peanuts, peanut butter, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds

Breads & Muffins

wheat bagels, corn muffins, durum wheat, multi-grain breads, 100% rye bread, rye crisp, rye vita, wheat bran muffins, whole wheat bread

Vegetables

artichoke, avocado, corn (yellow/white), olives (black/green/greek/spanish), pumpkin, radishes, sprouts, tempeh, tofu, tomato

Fruits

coconuts, persimmons, pomegranates, prickly pear, rhubarb, starfruit

Condiments

ketchup

Miscellaneous Beverages

distilled liquor, seltzer water, soda (cola/diet/other)

The book was by no means written as an acne cure (I dont think it even mentions acne anywhere), Im just hoping maybe on top of other things it might also affect the way your skin acts. We shall see (: Even if it doesnt ill still be using it because i like the diet for my blood type P:

Skeptisism welcome :D

this is indeed very interesting. keep us posted on your progress! :D

Will do :D Im doing this diet regardless of acne or not, but im still going to watch to see if it affects my skin. Worth a try, not like ive got anything to lose lol

I dont know what bloodtype I am :( But Ive read about this diet and I think I am bloodtype B also. No chicken and ketchup, that would suck :( Gonna find out what bloodtype I am

They say each bloodtype has its own history:

type O: ancestors around 40.000 b.c. humans climbed to top of foodchain. they were formidable hunters and basically lived on meat (protein)

type A: hunter-gatherer had a change of lifestyle and more stable societes were forming. 25.000-15.000 b.c. in asia/middle east. change in imune- and digestivesystem so that they could handle grains and farmed products.

type B: heritage around 15.000-10.000 b.c. Himalaya highlands. they could handle a versatile diet, inclusive meat and dairy.

type AB: only 5% of worlds population. mix which formed 10-12 centuries ago when there was a big migration of eastern communities to the west.

If this diet would be true it would make things a lot more simple! Why havent I heard about it in the medias? :think: This would blow the paleo-diet away!

Good history! :D It touches on the versatility of types Bs in the book too!

...The Type B Diet is balanced and wholesome, including a wide variety of foods. In the words of my father, it represents "the best of the animal and vegetable kingdoms." Think of B as standing for balance--the balancing forces of A and O."

This also explains why some diets are successful in weight loss for some people, but not for others. I think your blood type could have huge relation in a lot of things

And there's an ebook?! :o shock horror. You know what I do sometimes? If Im too cheap to buy the book, Ill just sit in the bookstore and read it LOL

Here's more quotes from the book:

Your Blood Type Plan lets you zero in on the health and nutrition information that corresponds to your exact biological profile. Armed with this new information, you can now make choices about your diet, exercise regimen, and general health that are based on the dynamic natural forces within your own body....If you follow your Blood Type Plan carefully, you can:

-avoid many common viruses and infections

-lose weight, as your body rids itself of toxins and fats

-fight back against life threatening diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and liver failure

-avoid many of the factors that cause rapid cell deterioration, thus slowing down the aging process

idd...

Im gonna look into this diet, it seems to be on the right path, but still in its infancy (as people do not differ just with the blood type).

On the dadamo site I see they distinquish secreters and non-secreters. Do you know what this is about???

On another page with charts of results (for type Os >_>), it has the participants in 3 groups: Secreter, Dont Know (if their S or NS), Non-Secreter, and the very majority of them were under 'dont know' so I dont think its vitally important to know your 'secreter status.' I dont know mine lol

Ok Thanks for the link! I think Im a secreter. Atleast I hope so lol :P

maddison: well go and find out? always good to know. I dont know mine either. Think Im gonna donate some blood ---> free blood test :P Im most likely B+

what if u dont know what bloodtype u are

I think its on your birth certificate... think, not sure. You can always ask your folks. Or like Veen said, blood test

I'm an AB+ and on the BTD diet since beginning of December '05. I have barely no trouble to strictly follow the AB diet as outlined by D'Adamo though I sometimes eat pepper. After 3-4 weeks my skin started to improve but I don't know whether it is due to the diet or due to the MSM (3g daily) and the Vit C (2g daily) and the Quercetin (500mg daily) which I take since I've started with the diet. I don't want to post a final conclusion now because I know that this can change from one day to another but anyway, I'm feeling great on the diet and have more energy than before.

I should emphasize that I've tried various healthy diets in the last 2 years but nothing worked for me. I was a vegetarian for a long time, than a vegan for 7 month, and finally I tried low carb which was the worst diet of all for me!

I'm still searching the cause for my bad experiences with low carb but I think I found it and also have reliable scientific backup.

D'Adamo claims that people with bloodtype AB in general have not enough stomach acid and digestive enzymes to break down lots of protein and fat. But that's exactly what you eat on a low carb diet to replace the missing carbohydrates. As we all know lots of toxins result from poor digestion and undigested protein (due to low stomach acid levels) reach the small intestine and causes inflammation. Here's some research:

Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006 Jan 5;

Involvement of intestinal alkaline phosphatase in serum apolipoprotein B-48 level and its association with ABO and secretor blood group types.

Nakano T, Shimanuki T, Matsushita M, Koyama I, Inoue I, Katayama S, Alpers DH, Komoda T.

Department of Biochemistry, Saitama Medical School, Saitama, Japan.

Serum levels of intestinal alkaline phosphatase (IAP), a protein implicated in transcellular transport of chylomicrons, vary among ABO blood groups. In rat enterocytes, IAP is associated with chylomicron secretion, but the rat expresses only blood group A. It is not known whether chylomicron secretion may be affected in humans who express multiple blood group types. Serum samples from 40 healthy subjects were obtained after overnight fast and 3h after a high-fat meal, and assayed for IAP and apolipoprotein B-48 (apoB-48), both proteins exclusive to intestine, although only apoB-48 is found in chylomicrons. The two proteins were greater in subjects without blood antigen A (B and O) than in those with this antigen (A and AB); 2.4- and 4.7-fold for IAP and 1.5- and 2.0-fold for apoB-48 before and after the meal, respectively. Moreover, IAP and apoB-48 levels were strongly correlated in the subjects with the secretor phenotype (r>0.81). These results indicate that IAP is strongly involved in chylomicron formation and fatty acid metabolism might change among ABO blood type. In addition, ABO blood type classification in apoB-48 measurement would improve the diagnostic value in the evaluation of metabolic syndrome.

wicked post, thanks! its good to hear feedback from someone who's been trying it. I got the book at christmas and have been mostly on the BTD since new years but have to admit Ive been eating some 'avoid' food more than I should. Not because i was going crazy on the inside for it, ive just been lazy. Ive been to the grocery store this afternoon though and tomorrow its back to being a good pupil (: from then on Im going to track my progress for 2.5 months

can you keep posting? id really like to keep hearing from you occasionally, or regularly, whichever b: even if it doesnt necessarily do wonder miracles for your acne, any improvement is good improvement, and it can just be other things like how youre feeling on it, how its working for you, yada blah blah

btw, i also tried vegetarian once for a few months. to say the least, it didnt work out. I lost a lot of weight/muscle mass, and my acne didnt get any better. Now I read the type O diet and its very meat-friendly. well shit lol

OMG. ;_; I was just skimming through the B lists, and practically every fruit is ok. The 'avoids' are weird stuff like persimmons and prickly pears lol. sigh..

there's a lot of information so I think itd just be easier for me to type out whats on the Avoid for some main categories.

(there are reasons for why some things are on avoid [like chicken] that arent 'you cant eat this, CAUSE ITLL BREAK YOU OUT,' it talks about digestion and lectins affecting the bloodstream, amoung other things, so no one take this as a pure "Acne Diet" please)

Meats & Poultry

Bacon, chicken, cornish hens, duck, goose, ham, heart, partridge, pork, quail

Seafood

anchovy, baracuda, belga, bluegill bass, clam, conch, crab, crayfish, eel, frog, lobster, lox (smoked salmon), mussels, octopus, oysters, sea bass, shrimp, snail, striped bass, turtle, yellowtail

Dairy & Eggs

american cheese, blue cheese, ice cream, string cheese

Nuts & seeds

cashews, filberts, pignola (pine), pistachio, peanuts, peanut butter, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds

Breads & Muffins

wheat bagels, corn muffins, durum wheat, multi-grain breads, 100% rye bread, rye crisp, rye vita, wheat bran muffins, whole wheat bread

Vegetables

artichoke, avocado, corn (yellow/white), olives (black/green/greek/spanish), pumpkin, radishes, sprouts, tempeh, tofu, tomato

Fruits

coconuts, persimmons, pomegranates, prickly pear, rhubarb, starfruit

Condiments

ketchup

Miscellaneous Beverages

distilled liquor, seltzer water, soda (cola/diet/other)

The book was by no means written as an acne cure (I dont think it even mentions acne anywhere), Im just hoping maybe on top of other things it might also affect the way your skin acts. We shall see (: Even if it doesnt ill still be using it because i like the diet for my blood type P:

Skeptisism welcome :D

this is indeed very interesting. keep us posted on your progress! :D

Will do :D Im doing this diet regardless of acne or not, but im still going to watch to see if it affects my skin. Worth a try, not like ive got anything to lose lol

I'm a little worried by the fact that it specifies I can't eat "heart" -- is that a common thing to eat?

Hmm...I eat some of the foods on there on a regular basis without bad effect, like american cheese, whole grain bread, shrimp, tofu and diet soda. It's not a diet I'd follow to a T, but it is interesting how they specify that B types can eat the most well-rounded diet, because I've found that that's what I have to eat to keep my energy up. Cutting out sugar or complex carbs gives me a headache and makes me feel like crap, and I need some protein or I'll be tired all the time.

Folks, don't buy into this quackery. Here is an article from the Skeptic's Dictionary, plus related links at the bottom of the article.

http://skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html

blood type diet

A pseudoscientific notion dreamed up by naturopath James D'Adamo: one's diet should be determined by one's blood type. Like many quacks before him, D'Adamo appealed to intuition for his brainstorm ("over the years, he recognized that each of the 4 blood types thrived on certain foods and physical activities"*) and anecdotes rather than controlled studies to support the validity of his ideas. His son, also a naturopath, Peter J. D'Adamo (about whom the rest of this entry is about) is an apple that did not fall far from the tree. He has written several books and travels the world promoting the blood type diet.

There is no reasonable scientific basis for the claim that blood type should determine one's diet, though Peter claims to have collected "over 1,000 scientific articles on blood types and their correlations to disease, biochemistry, nutrition, and anthropology."* Even so, he's never done a controlled study on blood type diets. Yet, he claims that blood type determines body chemistry to such an extent that those with type A blood should go vegetarian and meditate, those with type O should eliminate grains and do aerobics. He suggest similar nonsense for types B and AB.

According to Michael Klaper, M.D.,

D'Adamo hangs much of his theory on the action of lectins, proteins found on the surface of certain foods that can cause various molecules and some types of cells to stick together. He blames lectins for serious disruptions throughout the body, from agglutination of the blood cells to cirrhosis and kidney failure....

Since most people are unaware of their blood types, let alone what foods are "evolutionarily inappropriate" for them to eat, it is reasonable to assume that on most days most people eat the "wrong foods" for their blood type (e.g., Type O eating wheat, Type A eating meat, etc.). Thus, according to D'Adamo's theory, most everyone experiences repeated showers of agglutinated red cells throughout their bloodstream after most every meal - day after day, month after month, year after year. If the capillary beds in your heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, eyes, and other essential organs are subjected to barrage after barrage of agglutinated red cells, they will eventually begin to clog up. These micro-areas of diminished blood flow would at first cause scattered, then more concentrated areas of tissue damage - with eventually many micro-infarctions scattered throughout these vital structures. The brain, heart, lungs, kidneys and adrenals would soon be irreparably damaged by these processes, resulting in potentially fatal outcomes in millions of people.

Such a syndrome of organ failures due to lectin-induced micro-infarctions of the brain, heart, kidneys, retinas, and adrenals would be well known to pathologists and other medical scientists. It would not be a subtle disease. In the pathology texts, there would be clear descriptions - complete with photographs taken through high-power, optical microscopes as well as electron microscopes - of damage from lectin deposits and blood agglutination in most major organ systems. The existence and intricacies of such a widespread disease would be as common knowledge among physicians and cell scientists as atherosclerosis is today. Yet, I am aware of no such descriptions in the pathologic literature. No pathologist I know has ever mentioned tissue infarction from lectin-induced red cell agglutination as a cause of any disease in humans.

Peter D'Adamo's reasoning is based upon speculative inferences from such facts as that type O is the oldest blood type. From this fact, D'Adamo reasons that people with type O blood should eat the kind of diet the earliest humans ate: one rich in fat and protein.

"Group A is the second oldest blood group, appearing around 25,000 - 15,000 B.C., when larger human settlements first appeared as farming developed."* From this fact, D'Adamo infers that people with type A blood should eat their veggies.

Group B "emerged between 15,000 and 10,000 B.C. as tribes migrated from Africa to Europe, Asia and the Americas and mingled with other populations."* So, concludes D'Adamo, people with type B blood should eat a "balanced diet."

Blood type has little to do with digestion or body chemistry. If you have blood group A, then you've got A antigens covering your red cells and anti-B in your plasma. Antigens are substances that evoke an immune response. Since people in blood group B have B antigens and carry anti-A in their plasma, type A blood should not be given to those in Group B, and vice versa. (Group O has neither antigen and group AB has some of each.) Furthermore, about 85% of us, regardless of blood type, carry the Rh antigen, while about 15% are Rh negative. About 90 to 95 percent of African Americans and 98 to 99 percent of Asians are Rh-positive.* Also, since pathologist Karl Landsteiner identified the four blood groups early in the twentieth century, 276 discrete red-cell antigens have been discovered.*

Maybe D'Adamo should have 276 discrete diets, one each for A+ and A-, B+ and B-, and so on.

On the other hand, as Edward Blonz notes in his review of D'Adamo's Eat Right 4 Your Type:

Blood type is not totally benign. For many years, scientists wondered why type O's were more likely than other blood types to develop stomach ulcers or stomach cancer. In 1993, scientists found that ulcers were caused by helicobacter pylori, a bacterium which had a special affinity for one of the unique type O proteins. A geneticist at Oxford University who checked for other significant associations between the ABO blood types and the incidence of disease, reported that there were only seven; the relationships were often weak; and most, like ulcers, originated somewhere along the digestive tract. If the ABO blood type was that much of a key, as D'Adamo posits, these relationships would strong and plentiful.*

Dr. Victor Herbert, a hematologist who studied blood and nutrition at New York's Mt. Sinai Medical Center before his death, once said of the theory linking blood type and diet that it is "pure horse manure. It has no relation to reality. The genes for blood type have nothing to do with the genes that handle the food we eat."*

D'Adamo is not alone in this quackery about blood type, however. Obstetrician-Gynecologist Steven M. Weissberg, M.D., and Joseph Christiano, a personal fitness trainer, have co-authored The Answer is in Your Bloodtype: Research Linking Your Blood Type to Life Span, Love and Compatibility, Your Likely Illness Profile, Diet and Exercise for Maximum Life (1996). This pair claims that "You are what you eat, but you should "EAT WHAT YOU ARE.'' This means each of us should eat the optimal diet compatible with our blood type."* They have many anecdotes to support their beliefs.

Since the diets developed by Peter are not intrinsically harmful in general, it would be surprising if he couldn't find many satisfied customers willing to testify on his behalf. All he has to do is ignore all the cases he didn't help with his diets to make his case seem stronger than it really is. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Some of Peter D'Adamo's dietary advice could be harmful, however. As Dr. Klaper notes: "despite widespread knowledge that many non-Caucasians are intolerant of dairy products due to the normal disappearance of lactase enzymes in their intestinal cells, D'Adamo recommends that 'Type B's of Asian descent may need to incorporate them (dairy products) more slowly into their diets as they adjust their systems to them.'" Lactase-deficient readers who follow this advice are likely to end up with "severe bouts of abdominal cramps and diarrhea."

Not content with limiting his pseudoscientific advice to matters of nutrition, D'Adamo claims that blood type affects personality and character. He offers what Dr. Klaper calls "blood type astrology."

In the book [Eat Right for Your Type], he tells flesh-eating Type O's that they have a "genetic memory of strength, endurance, self-reliance, daring, intuition, and innate optimism...", "the epitome of focus, drive...", "hardy and strong, fueled by a high protein diet" (is he describing a Type O "master race"?), while he paints the "more vegetarian" Type A as submissive tofu eaters, "biologically predisposed to heart disease, cancer and diabetes" (p. 97). He labels Type A's with personalities "...poorly suited for the intense, high-pressured leadership positions at which Type O's excel," (p.142), stating that, in pressure situations, people with Type A blood "tend to unravel" and "become anxious and paranoid, taking everything personally." Finally, on page 143, he saddles the group with the dark image of Adolph Hitler, "...a mutated Type A personality." D'Adamo's system seems to create a "blood type astrology" ("What's your type? O Positive? knew it! So am I!") that imposes strange, limiting stereotypes on very complex human beings.*

Finally, many people will no doubt swear by the blood type diet. For example, a vegetarian who eats a lot of wheat may find that D'Adamo's diet recommendations relieved her digestive problems and a host of other ailments. She may attribute her former problems to eating the wrong diet for a type O. However, many people with type O blood are vegetarians or eat wheat without having any digestive problems. On the other hand, some people have gluten intolerance and some have colitis. Their doctors probably advise them not to eat wheat, regardless of blood type.

Hmm... I still find it of great interest. It by far is absolutely not the final say when it comes to what affects us, but some people may find that someof the avoids are true for them.

So far perhaps the most promising diets we have are based on our:

* Hypersensitivity Types (Allergies, Intolerances, etc)

* Metabolic Type

* Blood Type

* Phenotype / Nutritional Phenotyping (gene x environment (diet, lifestyle, behavior, etc) interactions)

* Genotype / Nutrigenomics (gene x nutrient interactions)

I guess it may depend on what one's condition is and genetic susceptibilites, as to whether one or a combination of the above diets will apply though.

Guest Cubsfan

that's just silly....a natural and organic diet is for everybody

I'm still questioning the correctness of the ABO diet by D'Adamo because I actually believe that your bloodtype may be one but not the only factor to determine your optimal nutrition. In general I consider the diet as too trivialized since there will always be some exceptions that do not fit into the ABO scheme of D'Adamo. Maybe we should rather assume that people have kind of a disposition for some symptoms and illnesses depending on their ABO bloodtype. The study that I've posted in my previous post for example is one piece of evidence that there's more truth in the Adamo theory than critics have presumed. Adamo claims that there are actually a lot more statistics which point out the connection between ABO bloodtype and cancer, especially breast cancer and it's survival rate.

From my experience so far I can tell you that in my case the assumed coincidences of the BTD are far too many to simply deny the importance of the diet.

3 friends of mine achieved great results with low carb and their acne dramatically improved which was the reason for me to start with low carb. At the beginning I took epsom salt as was recommended by many low carb gurus to accustom to the diet. After 2 weeks my acne began to improve but I soon realized that it was due the epsom salt. When I would leave out the epsom salt I would start breaking out terribly. Anyway I was on the low carb diet for about 6-7 month which in retrospect of course was a big mistake.

The funny thing is that my 3 friends are all bloodtype 0 which is according to D'Adamo the perfect bt for low carb, high protein etc.

Anyway, I admit that there could be different reasons for my failure with low carb. It could well be the case that I am just one individual with low stomach acid that is not designed for foods that are heavy to digest regardless of my bloodtype. I'm a big fan of the histadelic thread (acne as a result of a DTH etc...) on healthboards by kkpb, sweetjade etc... and I talked about this theory with a BTD practitioner who was the opinion that the high histamine is due to the foods which stress the immune system because they always contain lectins that cause the blood cells to agglutinate....

I know this all sounds weird and in spite of all the critics one has to admit that even the existence of different bloodtypes are somewhat weird...I mean how did they develop and for what reasons if people are completely identical? No critic has an answer to these questions but again they criticize the anthropological explanation by D'Adamo. I admit that there is no scientific evidence to back up this theory but to me it sounds very logical and it could well be the case that there's more truth in it than we may believe.

D'Adamo by the way is a fairly nice guy and he is an active poster on the BTD forum ( www.dadamo.com ) .

After all the diet is worth a try in my opinion and the fact that after 6 weeks on the diet my skin has never looked this good since I had been on antibiotics 18 month ago, supports my thinking.

quackery lol, nice word. Thanks for posting that kdogg, its good to hear what both sides have to say about it, this is what people like yoou are for d:

and uhm. I have nothing to say lol. I like the blood type O diet regardless. I was eating rye bread instead of the other bread before I got the book anyway, and i dont like dairy (too paranoid... weird mucus-y stuff in milk..cow blood! PUSS!!). you can still occasionally incorporate things on the Avoid lists into your meals anyway (if you wish..im not going to. yet at least), its just things you shouldnt eat nearly as much of. I do think our cells have memory dating way back though, including our blood

(btw, HITLER? XD hahah, DAMN YOU TYPE As!)

Hmm... I still find it of great interest. It by far is absolutely not the final say when it comes to what affects us, but some people may find that someof the avoids are true for them.

So far perhaps the most promising diets we have are based on our:

* Hypersensitivity Types (Allergies, Intolerances, etc)

* Metabolic Type

* Blood Type

* Phenotype / Nutritional Phenotyping (gene x environment (diet, lifestyle, behavior, etc) interactions)

* Genotype / Nutrigenomics (gene x nutrient interactions)

I guess it may depend on what one's condition is and genetic susceptibilites, as to whether one or a combination of the above diets will apply though.