Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Marino

keratosis pilaris [aka: KP]

Guest Marino

Righeto people,

I've been using the bacne clear skin regime with much sucess on my chest, shoulders and back.

The one area which didn't respond was my biceps/triceps area.

Done a bit of research, the small red bump/dots are actually known as KP or keratosis pilaris.

It similar to acne, got to do with blocked pores and skin turnover.

Anyway, it might not be acne, but consdering the mission of the site is to promote clear skin and bla bla i just thought i'd add my 2cents as up to 50 percent of adolencents have some form of KP.

IPB Image

There is a picture of it, bascially similar to acne but much smaller and more concentrated in one area.

As mentioned earlier, it has to do with the skin not replacing itself fast enough, and pores gettin blocked causes the red mark or "chicken skin" apperance.

Sadly, there isn't many treatments option for KP as there are acne, and no mircale drug or "cure" such as acutane.

Below are some treatment options that have helped for some:

-Tarozac

-Moisturizing

-Exfoliating

-salicylic acid products [washes and creams]

-Glycolic products [washes and creams]

Anyway, my regime which has been working for me is:

Morining [in the shower]:

-Use a salicylic bar of soap to cleanse the area

-Use loafer to exfoilate

out of the shower:

-Apply KP duty onto the area

-Apply a 10 percent Glycolic cream onto the area

-Then wait for 5-10 minutes, and apply a non-pore cloging/mineral free moisturzier

Night [in the shower]:

-Use a salicylic bar of soap to cleanse the area

-Use loafer to exfoilate

out of shower:

-Apply KP duty onto the area

-Apply a 2 percent salicylic lotion onto the area

-Then wait for 5-10 minutes, and apply a non-pore cloging/mineral free moisturzier

Saw results in 2 weeks, saw good results in about 5-6 weeks.

My skin is super tough, i doubt most people could handle this.

I recomend washing with a salucylic soap day and night, and a applying KP duty and a moisturizer everyday/night.

Followed by an exfoliation of some sort at least 2-3 times a week.

Also, when ever i go out, i use a tinted moisturizer. Once your regime has limited the bumps, the redness is easily covered with the tint.

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.

P.S: Do a google search on KP duty, it should look like this and avilable online:

IPB Image

Thanks Marino. I found out a couple of months of ago that this is what I suffer with as well. I also use a SA wash and I use a body brush. I follow up with a SA moisturizer. It has helped alot.

I've had KP on my upper arms & thighs all my life. Best way to keep it in check: shaving! Works like a charm.

Scrubbing with a loofah, using cleansers/scrubs with AHAs/BHAs, and moisturizing also really help.

Q

Guest funkychicken

ohhhhh I have that on the top of my left shoulder. It has been there for about 5 yrs. I didnt know what it was. Thought it was a side-effect of the medication the doc put me on to help me sleep.

BTW, manly arm.

If it is caused by skin shedding problems and blocked pores, could retin-a help, since it makes your skin shed/renew more quickly and keeps your skincells from sticking together( which causes the clogs)....?

Yeah, I think it could ... the problem is that KP tends to cover such a large surface area. It would just be such a pain (and so expensive) to use Retin A regularly on that much of my body! Shaving is so much easier! But if I were a guy, I might be more inclined to try some sort of retinol treatment on it. Speaking of which, I think both of my sons have inherited the joys of KP ... poor guys. So I will remember this for when their teen years roll around.

Q

A little bit ago I applied some retin-a on these breakouts I got on my left breast and left... asshipthigh. It peeled but it seemed to smooth them out a little. I guess it is intended for continual use though, which I don't have the patience for... does skin come off more easily when you're on retin a, or is would it be the irritation that would inhibit shaving? I don't get noticeable irritation from it, although my face did/does? peel a bit, and I tried to use this queen helene mud mask the other day and it burnt like a SKDUgsdf

I had bad KP and tried many things to clear it up, including a SA wash and a stiff brush to break up the keratin that was clogging the hair follicles. I eventually went to the dermatologist and was given a steroid cream to reduce the size. It cleared up my KP completely but made my skin reddish as a result. Finally, when the cream ran out, the KP came back just like it had before.

Depressed, I gave up all treatment efforts entirely. I stopped washing my arms with any type of soap. The KP got noticably better. So I started puting lots of lotion on it, and a month or two later it was completely gone. Now, as long I dont let that area get too dry, it never comes back.

I had KP on my upper arms.

I had it from 12 and it went away about half a year ago (im 17) and i dont knwo why.

I suspect I have KP or something related. There are a lot of skin conditions that are very similiar in cause. At any rate, the "acne" or whatever it is (I call it that because they are in essence caused by the same thing... blocking of pores) on my body is different from the acne on my face. It is mostly hard, reddish, superficial bumps... not whiteheads and stuff like "real" acne. It might be KP. But it looks a little bigger than pics of KP I have seen. I get it the worst on my hipthighass. I was thinking of trying to make a spray form of retin a to cover large areas (i.e. body)... maybe getting a higher concentration of it and mixing with water in a spray bottle?

I don't know.

I suspect I have KP or something related. There are a lot of skin conditions that are very similiar in cause. At any rate, the "acne" or whatever it is (I call it that because they are in essence caused by the same thing... blocking of pores) on my body is different from the acne on my face. It is mostly hard, reddish, superficial bumps... not whiteheads and stuff like "real" acne. It might be KP. But it looks a little bigger than pics of KP I have seen. I get it the worst on my hipthighass. I was thinking of trying to make a spray form of retin a to cover large areas (i.e. body)... maybe getting a higher concentration of it and mixing with water in a spray bottle?

I don't know.

I'm not at all sure that Retin-A is water-soluble. If you try this, experiment with a very small amount to start with so you don't end up wasting it ... that stuff is so expensive!

I think that if you scrub the area every time you shower (use a loofah and one of those AHA cleansing scrubs), then moisturize, you'll see a big improvement in a couple of weeks.

Q

Ok i think i have the same thing, except i get more little white heads then you, but anyway. Go the dermo and ask for somthing called SALEX, it worked ssssooooo good, after 2 weeks my KP is like GONE!

I had bad KP and tried many things to clear it up, including a SA wash and a stiff brush to break up the keratin that was clogging the hair follicles. I eventually went to the dermatologist and was given a steroid cream to reduce the size. It cleared up my KP completely but made my skin reddish as a result. Finally, when the cream ran out, the KP came back just like it had before.

Depressed, I gave up all treatment efforts entirely. I stopped washing my arms with any type of soap. The KP got noticably better. So I started puting lots of lotion on it, and a month or two later it was completely gone. Now, as long I dont let that area get too dry, it never comes back.

Yes, lots of lotion was the trick for me. I was diagnosed with this as well on my upper arms and thighs. Apparently it's genetic, but I've kept lots of lotion on it and it's completely gone on my upper arms and there are only a few spots on my thighs. My doctor also recommened putting the Diffren on there, but I just stuck with lotion (waaaay cheaper) and the areas have been doing well for a couple years now.

when i start getting those little bumpies, i scrub lightly with a nail brush lol, or a body brush, dry. then i moisturize, which i do anyway, and this clears them up totally.

Marino,

Fellow glycolic acid addict,

I can't believe you don't use <10% for this, while you insisted I bump up my facial glycolic acid strength to 15%!

I use 14% glycolic acid lotion on my arms and butt (yes I get it slightly there too) to rid myself of KP.

Good tips, if mine gets out of control again.