Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NMcRae

Nick's Roaccutaine/Bacne journal

So chaps, after 2 years of suffering hardcore cystic body acne the time has finaly come to begin Accutaine.

Me:

Well I'm 17 and just finished Highschool. I was supposed to go to the Australian Defence Force Academy this year (2006) but due to a Rugby injury which resulted in a knee reconstruction, i was unable to attend (Mind you if I hadn't done my knee my bacne was going to keep me out anyway). So I now hav until around November to fix my Bacne and recover my knee.

Acne:

I used to have moderate acne on face but that died down to light acne in around yr11. At the same time my back errupted with moderate acne. It has graduarly gotten worse between then and now and i now suffer from hardcore cystic.

Treatment:

When i found out my back had to be clear for ADFA which was at the begining of last year I immediately went to Derm. He idvised accutaine but i really didn't want to go through yr12 without drinking and such so isntead i looked for alternative treatments. BTW I'd tried herbal but did bugger all. I found out about blue light therapy and tried that. Had a massiveb reakout during it which only died down around 12weeks after treatment. results were OK. smooth skin but still moderate acne. It all came back around a few months ago anyway. I wouldnt recomend blue light therapy. After that failed went to derm and he put me on isotrex which made everything ALOT worse. cystic went into overdrive and everything was hell. So that having failed, my last option is accutaine which i hold my first pill of in my hand right now. Derm is putting me on 20mg/day once a day and building over 9 months ending in 80mg/day.

My biggest worries of side effects are not being able to drink and dry skin. My life revolves around partying so this is gonna be hard. wish me luck.

In this journal I will attempt to post every week or two telling o side effects, effects on acne, products im using plus uno any extra stuff I feel like blabbing out.

P.S if anyone is going on accutaine around the same time PM me and we can go through it together.

Well I'm from Aus see. Legal drinking age here is 18 yrs old, so naturally most kids start drinking around 16.

WEEK 2

So I'm just starting week two, but let me tell you about what happened in week 1.

Side Effects:

Well on about day 3 i started getting chapped lips, not too bad, just a bit anoying. I think I can feel that my skin is a bit more sensitive to light. Like I had my arm out the side of the car window the other day driving, and when i stopped and walked around inside it sorta tingles a bit hot. didn't burn but. So far skin doesn't seem to be getting noticably dry. No signs of sore joints or anything else.

Products for side effects:

For lips I'm using carmex and QV. Carmex has mint in it and I'm told later on it may like burn so I have QV which is more soothing just in case i need it. They seem to be doing the job, although carmex seems to be absorbed within like 20 mins rather than staying on top.

I'm moisturizing every night before bed using cetaphil moisturising cream in the lil tub. It's hell greasy looking so i only use it at night. For daytime i havnt really been moisturizing much, I'v got aloe vera gel and nutrogena lotion with suncream. Dont like nutrogena stuff, looks greasy. But aloe vera is ok. Also I'm using cetaphil cleanser in shower.

Effects on acne:

Face has been breaking out a bit. Nothing too un normal. normaly id have like one big pimple a month on face if that. But today i have 2 plus one thats subsiding from a few days ago. other than that no effects on acne.

Just BTW I had two drinks on thurs night, didn't feel anything which is normal. My derm said 2 light beers a week is max amount of alcho so im trying to stick to that.

Just a reminder, it is my bacne that is the problem, my face is fine. However, now i am definately seeing a breakout in face. It's probably 60% worse than before, I hope it doesn't get too much worse, i spend so much time clearning my face :(

I started accutane because I had bad bacne, and my face broke out pretty badly. Forehead, cheeks, upper lip, really badly on my chin and pretty bad on my jawline/neck. So I would expect your face to break out even though you are taking accutane for your back. It sucks, I have a really nasty scar on my left cheek now. But I'm hopeful the red marks/scarring will clear pretty well since I only had acne in those spots for the few months I was on accutane and they haven't had time to build up. I've been off for almost 2 weeks now and I've already noticed the red marks getting a little better, so try not to worry too much.

Ok people... onwards to week three, but let me tell u about my second week. Let me just say it feels like ive been on the drug for 3 weeks, like in my head iv been saying '3 weeks already' but now that im writing i realise I'm BEGINNING my 3rd week. anyway.

Side Effects:

Well lips are still chapped of course, still nothing terrible. I apply lip balm in morning then normaly forget about them during the day cause theyre not sore or anything, then realise theyre a bit dry so add a bit of lip balm and theyre sweet until nightime.

Skin is feeling a tad dry at times like when i open mouth, but its refined to like upper lip really it may just part of chapped lips. Or perhaps my skin would be really dry if it wasnt for the moisturizing? dunno. bottom line is skin isn't really dried up.

Breakout:

Facial breakout has beeing cut in half, still no back breakout, although frankly im just happy it calmed down after my failed stint with isotrex which made it breakout like a mofo. So even if it was a bit broken out i may not notice because im so accustomed to what it was like with the isotrex breakout.

products for breakout:

same as last week.

effects on acne:

One thing i have noticed over past week about skin is that on my nose and like to the side of my nose (below eyes) its felt rough. At first i thought my skin might be peeling, but no. Then i thought it may just be the aloe vera, but no. then i started a bit of scratching/rubbing of it as u do and noticed like blackheads were coming out. So yer, suppose its a good thing.

P.S is anyone following my thread?

My 3rd week.

So I've nearly done 1 months of accutaine which is more than 10% of course, YES!

Side Effects:

Same as last week.

Breakout:

Breakout on face is pretty much finished, still no breakout on back, in fact if i may dare to say its actually looking better, but i won't get hoped up just yet i'm sure the breakout is coming.

products:

same as usual.

effects on acne:

I mentioned last week about the rough surface on nose and below eyes. Well thats gone and i think the skin below eyes is a bit smoother than it was before, i havnt looked closely in mirror yet to see if there aer less blackheads... i try to avoid that.

My 4th week.

I've done one month of accutaine!

side effects:

Same as last week except.... I've noticed my face gets flushed real easy like light up like a red balloon after excersise or being nervouse ect. Also I've had really dry snot. Also my eyes water really easily, like in aircon. Also when sun is out, everything seems really glary and bright.

Breakout:

So the back is finaly starting to breakout. I'm feeling a few news ones come up, perhaps new one every 2 days, also my face is stilll breaking out a little bit, not as bad as originally but.

Products:

same

effects on acne:

same

My 5th week.

phase 2 of breakout begins....

side effects: all side effects the same except that my hands are peeling a little in gruves and between fingers. I'm not sure if that is caused by accutaine or the fact i did 2 weeks of kitchenhand (dish pig) work a couple weeks ago.

Breakout: yes so I'm definately noticing a couple of core ones on my back, still not nearly as much as in my isotrex breakout, so I'm not in panic mode..... yet. Face is breaking out decently aswell for the second time.

products: same, except i don't really moisturize durin day cause i don't feel i need it, unless i shave that is.

effects on acne: I had a closer look at the areas which had blackheads (nose, under eyes) nose still has them but the area under eyes seems to have reduced sized ones. So the rough feeling i described a while ago must've been them coming out or somethign.

My 6th week,

Side Effects: same

breakout: same

prodcuts: same but been lazy with moiturizing.

effects on acne: same

My 7th week.

First off i was upped to 40mg per day.

side effects: much the same but more chapped lips.

breakout: face breaking out again only mild so far, back a few pimples, nothing drastic yet.

products: same

effects on acne: same.

BTW yes I've been drinking alcho, I've been going over what my derm advised but hey, surely he anticipated that right. I try to keep it to one night a week and try to only drink 3 drinks on that night. althought last night i had like 3 drinks and couple shots which did bugger all.

My 8th and 9th weeks (40mg)

Ok so my first 2 weeks of 40mg/day.

side effects: lips are proply 30% more chapped, skin is 50% more sensitive, if i go out in sun for like 10mins without sunscreen on i will get no doubt come home pink. skin is generally not terribly dry at all.

Breakout: there was a bit of breakout but nothing really worth mentioning.

This week I've gotten typsy-drunk about 4 times. I havnt drunken much on those nights but its definately more than my derm recommended which was 2 light beers a week! hopefully my liver isn't dieing, I'l tell u how blood tests go when i go to get one.

My 10th week..

40mg/day stopped Antibiotics

So my first point of news is that i've stopped taking the antibiotics I was on.

Side effects: same excpet lips peeling a little.

breakout: mild breakout, 1 or 2 big ones on back, one or two pimples on face.

products: same.

effects on acne: after looking in mirror at face it seems its quite clear. I havn't had a good look at my bakc I'm too scared but it feels ok.

hi just discovered your log. i started roaccutane for bacne as well and i've just finished my first week. well done for getting on it at 17, im 20 now and should have tackled this years ago. same experiences so far.

good luck on your course.

p.s. won't roaccutane affect your knee rehabilitation?

My 11th week,

40mg, no antibiotics.

Havn't been drinking. Went out bush other weekend and got one pimple on lower back that was bigger than I've normaly been getting.

Side Effects: lips have been more chapped than normal, perhaps it's because winter is coming around. I've also been more conscious of my face being red, It seems it get flushed extremely easily and I have to try to remain calm in all circumstances and try not to get angry, embarrised, sad ect because they all make me flush.

breakout: same, but my face is having nothing!

effects on acne: well face is pretty much totaly clear, although the rumours are true: blemmishes ect ARE more noticable when on accutaine.

Pat... Thanks for the encouragement, I wish you all the best as well, I hope my log has been a bit useful/reasuring or whatever. Thats what i put it up here for. My knee... the only problem could come about with the pains in joints with strenuous excersise, however i asked derm about why the pain come and he said it was only the muscles (something to do with not enough of something or too much Vit A). muscles heal so screw it. If you have any Questions just post them on here so everyone can read my answers, or make a suggestion on other stuff i can tell everyone about that may be useful to you guys.

My 12th week,

So this week i spent probs 3 nights without taking it and i drank copious amounts of alcohol.

One of my mates on accutaine has just got the news that his liver is 'abnormality/severity' mmmmm. Bit worrying for everyone.

Side Effects: Discovered that aircon is the biggest bugger when it comes to dry lips. If you sleep in aircon for even just one night you'll wake up with dry ilps that stay mroe dry than usual for days. everythin else normal.

Breakout: got another headless pimple on back.

products: same, but been lazy.

My 13th week.

Spent alot of time in the sun this week, go burnt, but not as much as i thought i would.

Side Effects: same.

Breakout: Actually got a bit of a breakout this week. 2 on my chest which i hadn't had one for ages and a couple on my back. Nothing too serious but.

Products: same.

effects on acne: had a look at my back, not much acne at all however heaps of scarring as is expected.

Hopefully you'll get a little more accutane support over here! I moved your journal to the Accutane Logs section. Don't worry, we don't bite :)

You are only a week ahead of me! So exciting! :) Keep us updated, we are here for you!

NEW PAAAAAAAAGE

:ninja:

Hey check it out. Sarah moves your log and you get a response. :lol: Welcome the the accutane section. Sounds like your course is going well. Wish you the best. I'll be keeping up with your log. I'm taking accutane for bacne as well except I'm a 35/f here. "If you ignore it long enough it will go away!" Well it didn't so here I am. Good luck to you. Jules ;)

My 14th week.

So I actually did get a tan on my arms and stuff which i never thought i'd be able to do on taine, however, my face didn't tan it just burnt lol. Once again i broke the rule and got drunk the other night. I'm going to go get a blood test early just to make sure my liver is OK, that thing with my mate gettin a bad liver has scared me.

side effects: One thing I don't think I've mentioned so far: sensitive eyes! I live in Australia and many days I'l be sitting at the bustop and i physically can't keep my eyes open because of the glare. Otherwise same as usual (kinda dry skin, chapped lips especially in aircon, sensitive skin).

Breakout: bit more breakoutish of late. one small one on face and i felt a couple of blackheads on my back. I think it has to do with my skipping a few nights when.

products: same.

effects on acne: same.

Hey girls, thanks for posting a reply. It definately helps to have a bit of support even though i originaly made the post to help out ppl who want to know wat to expect.

**Do you girls have journals? I'd like to give them a read. send us a link.

My bad i can see the link on your profiles.

My 15th week.

After weeks of fretting over the possibility of my liver being screwed, which was added to by the fact that i've been drinking, I got results for my blood test i took a couple of days ago. My liver is FINE. It was such a relief. I've concluded that as I got drunk pretty much every weekend for the last 2 months and my liver is fine, that i will continue drinking.

***Tomorow is my 18th b'day so tonight midnight I'm goin out clubin/pubin. My derm let me go off taine for the week leading up to tonight so i could drink more drinks than usual. I'l also have to stay off it for the week following tonight.

Army update: Just to get stuff off my chest I'l talk about where my Defence Academy Application is every week. There are three stages of testing for entry to the Australian Defence Force Academy. I've been through all before but i had my knee injury which disallowed me entry this year (talked about this stuff at begining of journal). I got to skip the first stage and am now preparing for the second stage which consists of 3 interviews, writing test and medical examination.

Side effects: Same old.

Breakout: Same old.

Products: same old

Effects on acne: same old. Saw my derm the other day and he said "your back's looking gooooodd"

My 16th week,

Right so the last week i've just been getting ridicuously drunk. I'm starting taine up again tonight and I'l cut back on boos aswell.

In the 2 weeks I've been off taine my acne has noticably gotten slightly worse, I got 3 small pimples on face i hadn't had for ages when on taine, I got 2 cysts on back which i also hadnt had in yonks.