Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
real maverick

Eating Coconut oil is amazing for my skin

It makes me gag every time I've gotta eat it and then upsets my stomach for an hour or so afterwards...

I eat mine at room temp, its not quite solid usually but certainly not liquid, its almost like lard and leaves a horrible texture in your mouth.

Has anybody found a better way of taking it? I don't want to take it as a liquid as it will leave even more oil in my mouth.

On the good side, my skin is looking amazing, I use the coconut oil to help combat candida.

Anybody else currently using this?

It makes me gag every time I've gotta eat it and then upsets my stomach for an hour or so afterwards...

I eat mine at room temp, its not quite solid usually but certainly not liquid, its almost like lard and leaves a horrible texture in your mouth.

Has anybody found a better way of taking it? I don't want to take it as a liquid as it will leave even more oil in my mouth.

On the good side, my skin is looking amazing, I use the coconut oil to help combat candida.

No but I have been wanting to try it. I most likely have candida since I hae been on antibiotics for two years now on and off.

Can I get some at GNC? Where did you get yours? And how much do you eat?

I haven't yet tried coconut oil as it's so damned expensive, 10 pounds for a little tub from Holland & Barrett. Apparently they eat it in third world countries so i dunno why it's so expensive here.

I may try garlic tablets for candida as at least they're cheaper, does anyone know how many mg you need to take per day?

I put it in my hot tea! :D works perfect!

what did you do to get clear skin dreamyboi?

Guest Virgo

Omg I think I might have that... if you check my gallery... that might be what those weird red things are on my face that take forever to go away!!

My stupid derm didnt even tell me what it was.. I doubt he even knows. He just prescribed hydrocortisone cream for me but it takes FOREVER to get rid of them. I dunno...

@ Kamni, I'm in the UK, I've heard it's cheaper in the US. It's really helped though, my skins totally clear at the moment, no new spots and luckily my red marks are gone within a day or two as my skin heals so fast.

@ Veen, oh god, you've just turned my stomach, the thought of that oily taste in my tea, eek! but if you find it easier then that's cool.

@ Floss, yep, that's where I got mine, Holland and Barrett, I don't know anywhere else that may sell it in the UK, other than mail order.

@ Virgo, try the diet and see how it effects your skin over the next few weeks.

I do that also, or its really good with dried fruit, bread, rice, potatoes, vegetables oh the list goes on and on, I really like coconut oil. I made some really good cookies with it. I use it when ever I want butter. :proud: I'm glad that it's helped you, I don't think that its helped me at all.

Delicious on toast and waffles! Use it as butter... it's amazingly scrumptious. Plus you can really load it on since you're likely going for the 1-2tbs/day regimen.... sooo good. Consider adding salt to taste, but I don't find I need it.

Taking it alone is decidedly gross... be creative!

Oh... and since you're combating candida (me too) you shouldn't be eating bread/grains so try eating it on special waffles from the health store. I bought some special yeast-free, gluton-free etc. (made with spelt instead I think?) blueberry waffles and they are hands down the best waffles I've ever had... specially with the coconut oil!

Hope this helps~

p.s. Are you on an anti-candida diet of any kind?

I do that also, or its really good with dried fruit, bread, rice, potatoes, vegetables oh the list goes on and on, I really like coconut oil. I made some really good cookies with it. I use it when ever I want butter. :proud: I'm glad that it's helped you, I don't think that its helped me at all.

Yes, maybe if you try eating it as a food, instead of just eating a big spoonful of it by itself. I also use it like butter. I cook with it mainly, stir-fry veggies in it.

Now that I think about it, there is one brand that I've tried- Spectrum, that tastes horrific. It says it is unrefined, but they must do something to it because it tastes rancid. The first time I bought it, I thought I just got a bad batch, but not so. For years, I knew coconut oil was good and always had some in the cupboard that I would try to use from time to time, but it was SO nasty. It was the brand.

I too can't stand eating coconut oil straight...I came up with a smoothie though where I use orange juice, kefir (you can buy this in health food stores - it helps replenish good bacteria in your gut), berries, coconut oil and agave nectar for taste! I also put Total EFA and lecithin in there as well, but you don't have to have those. I really like it...i don't think it took any getting used to, and the coconut oil is masked, i don't even know it's there. And it's super healthy too, and the best part is agave nectar won't spike your blood sugar level and start the whole chain reaction that leads to more acne.

~suzanne

I too can't stand eating coconut oil straight...I came up with a smoothie though where I use orange juice, kefir (you can buy this in health food stores - it helps replenish good bacteria in your gut), berries, coconut oil and agave nectar for taste! I also put Total EFA and lecithin in there as well, but you don't have to have those. I really like it...i don't think it took any getting used to, and the coconut oil is masked, i don't even know it's there. And it's super healthy too, and the best part is agave nectar won't spike your blood sugar level and start the whole chain reaction that leads to more acne.

~suzanne

Recipe? :D

Heating it up to a liquid is the easiest way to take, I've found. I, too, cannot stand the taste even after many months. I thought for sure I would have adjusted, but no such luck.

One thing I have noticed is that the brand makes a big difference. I switched and ordered some unfiltered, organic coconut oil or something and I still cringe, although I'm almost through my second jar. Try and different brand next time and see if the new one is more tolerable.

Guest Virgo

Is this candida thing something that can be cured/can go away 4ever...? Or is it something that comes and goes forever?

Do you all take extra virgin coconut oil? I use it a lot for cooking and I have no problem eatingit raw. It just tastes like slightly more oily coconut flakes. Never rancid tasting.

Also why is it $24CDN for a small tub in the UK? Here in Canada we also have to import it(Not even through the states so purchasing power is out), and it costs $10-13 for a 800ml jar of it.

Dreamboi, if you're eating 3 tablespoons a day you must be getting through a tub a week at least, how can you afford it??

Might i ask how coconut oil compares to garlic anti-candida-wise? If it's just as good you could just do that instead.

Is this candida thing something that can be cured/can go away 4ever...? Or is it something that comes and goes forever?

If you have it, it's possible to get rid of it through diet and other things. But if you just go back to eating the way you did before, it can easily come back. You have to change your lifestyle for good... although you don't have to be AS strict on your diet once the candida is under control.

To the original poster: Yeah, I took a spoonful or two of coconut oil all by itself one day and awhile later I nearly threw up. But it doesn't have that effect when I put it in/on food. Try it on sweet potatoes -- so good!

Hi again guys,

I'm a fussy bugger and the thought of the coconut oil on any food makes me feel sick, I think I've developed a serious phobia for the stuff, even thinking about taking it I feel sick and then for an hour after I feel seriously sick, I have to lay down, but as I say it does my skin good so it's worth it.

@ Floss, I only take 2 tea spoons a day, seems to do the trick, any more and I couldn't tollerate it.

I've found a way I can take it without tasting it, I fill my mouth with pure orange juice, put the coconut oil in my mouth and swallow and it's gone, though it still makes me feel sick as a pig afterwards.

I'm not currently on an anti candida diet, I was for the whole of December but Christmas soon changed that, I'm yet to get back in to a proper pattern of eating.

I'll start to cut down on sugar etc, but I can't be as strict as I was, eating brown rice and rivita every day was depressing lol.

dreamyboi do you have any concrete evidence you have candida? if you didnt see results eating brown rice and riveta then diet is not going to make a difference to your acne i dont think

if coconutoil makes you sick then maybe its killing the fungus in ur body :P

I have np with it no matter how much I take

I like brown rice too. It is not anti-candida. It is allowed on the candida-diet though.

dreamyboi do you have any concrete evidence you have candida? if you didnt see results eating brown rice and riveta then diet is not going to make a difference to your acne i dont think

I didn't say the brown rice and riveta and candida diet in general didn't help, it did help significantly which is what convinced me the problem was candida, and the fact that all the anti candida products such as coconut oil, garlic oil and threelac have kept my skin totally clear would indicate that candida is the problem.

I can't think of any better evidence than results.

But dreamyboi why are you using coconut oil as opposed to garlic tablets, do you find it works better?

Does this only help your skin if you have candida? Or does it work in other ways besides clearing up candida? Anyone know?