Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jork

Acne Changed you for the better in the long run?

Do you think that once you clear up, and scars are no longer visible that acne made you a better person in a long run? I used to be the really happy, and didn't care to think about other peoples feelings before I had acne. Now every word I say I probabley think about it 30 times before I spit the word out. If I ever clear my acne/scars I think it would give me the confidence that I could do anything.

Do you think that once you clear up, and scars are no longer visible that acne made you a better person in a long run?

Getting over acne is not going to make you a better person. Every day, people survive much worse than acne -- cancer, sexual abuse, war -- and go right back to being the piece of shit they always were.

Nothing is going to make you a better person. You are what you are.

Do you think that once you clear up, and scars are no longer visible that acne made you a better person in a long run?

Getting over acne is not going to make you a better person. Every day, people survive much worse than acne -- cancer, sexual abuse, war -- and go right back to being the piece of shit they always were.

I disagree, peolpe say counseling makes people think of life in a new perspective. Acne has changed my life, and transformed me into an entirely different person as I once was. I look, and think of things in ways I never have before since I've had acne. Changing your attitude, personality, and various other factors makes you a whole different person, and some people are "Better" people than other people in this world in ways such as respect, honesty, and things like that.

Tyler Durden says in Fight Club: "we're going to break civilization so we can build something out of the world."

And the fact that you don't become better untill you reach bottom. Untill you give it all away and have nothing left to live for, you don't truly understand the purpose of life.... Well I guess it's the same to us.

Once something like acne hits you.. you start seeing things clearer, things you've never seen before.. And you change, you become someone new, because the old you just got removed, evicted from your body. You, EVOLVE

your ignorance astounds me. You think you can generalise everyone who has every had cancer, sexual abuse or acne. I know for a fact that acne has changed who i am, maybe noit directly, but it was because of acne i missed out on a lot of oppurtunities in life would have changed who i am today. You can't just go around stating opinion as fact, try using the words "i think" before every post

Acne has changed me, I realize that looks HAPPEN to people, they are given them, and for the most part, one cannot change their looks. It has made me judge people based on appearance less. I still catch myself "blaming" people in my mind, or thinking that I'm better than them because they have more acne. However, they are probably much better people than I am. I don't know if it's entirely true, but I once heard/read:

Suffering burns the fat off of one's soul

I find it rather true.

Guest adrian87

Tyler Durden says in Fight Club: "we're going to break civilization so we can build something out of the world."

And the fact that you don't become better untill you reach bottom. Untill you give it all away and have nothing left to live for, you don't truly understand the purpose of life.... Well I guess it's the same to us.

Once something like acne hits you.. you start seeing things clearer, things you've never seen before.. And you change, you become someone new, because the old you just got removed, evicted from your body. You, EVOLVE

True words.

you know what i think everyone here is missing that's becoming clearer and clearer to me: everyone has their own acne. maybe their lives seems great b/c they're hot or have amazing skin or are rich, but everyone has their own achilles heel.

as i've said before acne is hard 1) b/c its front and center and 2) people used to (do they still?) think its your fault for not washing or eating bad foods or something so they attribute it to a flaw in who are you and not just a genetic thing.

i'm glad its the only real flaw i have. and its improving. yeah i too missed out on stuff BUT so did other people for other reasons and life's not over. some people are at their prime when they're 16, some when they're 23, some when they're 34. nobody's on top for their whole lives. make the most of what you have.

remember the hot girl from 7th grade who was pregnant and working at the 7-11 when she was 20? i'd rather come into it later when i can enjoy it. (actually i'd rather have been on top all my life but that's unrealistic i think...)

Two sides to the coin:

-On the one hand, you'll appreciate being clear much more than someone who's been clear all their life; you'll have a better sense of gratitude, be able to sympathize for those still stuck with acne, etc.

-Conversely, I believe that the longer you have acne, the more issues you develop (insecurity, apathy, depression, etc) and those don't go away very easily.

Weighing up the whole, I'm inclined to say that no, acne doesn't make you a better person.

Before I had acne I was a spoiled little rich :xxx: . I was living in California with my rich mother and rich grandparents and relatives while my dad was always off working. I didn't take even one second to think about anything -- actions, feelings of others. I just wanted what I wanted when I wanted it. And I always got what I wanted.

After acne and some really bad financial situations, I learned the better side of things. Things are better with my family and in my life. The acne started fading away as our financial setup got better, but I was severely depressed for 2 years after that. My parents tried to force me to take 'happy pills' but the thought of having to take pills to make me happy was just... depressing. I never took the pills, and even though I was a screaming teenager with anger problems, I eventually worked through the depression on my own and gained a social life (albeit with very few friends), and am now a pretty happy person that my parents don't have to complain about to a shrink.

Acne DID change my life, simply because it completely stripped me of all self-esteem that I had before. It made me realize that I am not always gonna be cushioned and pampered and that I was going to have to struggle for the things I want, not throw a tantrum. I stopped taking things for granted and I appreciate everything that my parents give me and everything that I have worked for. :dance: So now that I can become more confident, I've grown to just... being me. Not some preppy little girl wearing expensive clothing to show off to her friends, laughing at other people with bad skin or diseases that can't be helped, pretending to like the people around her.

I'm independent. :whistle:

And, having to run a paper route at 5 am every morning to earn some extra cash while maintaining a 3.5 GPA in school, you learn a thing or two about hard work and isolation from other people. You get kind of fed up at people taking things for granted and people whose jobs are basically standing at a counter smiling all day (they think THAT'S bad???).

AMEN...i think acne has made me more willing to have ugly friends.

Before having acne I have always been caring and understanding towards most people's unfortunate situations whether it was weight, acne, or anyother appearance issues that people might be insecure about. So acne has not really changed me in that way because I have grown up this way. But the one thing that I can say that acne has helped me with, or eventually will once it is cleared up is my personality. In August when I first started to get my moderate to severe acne I realised that I couldn't just hide from my problem beacuse it would only make me feel worse about myself by staying at home and isolated from friends. As a result I have really pushed myself to be more outgoing and more self confident than before in order to make people see that my acne shouldn't seperate me from any one else. Although I feel extremely held back by my acne, I don't let people see this and instead I try and be the exciting and happy person as much as I can, as hard as it can be. When I think about my acne I try to convince myself that it has given me the ability to be a much stronger person and once the acne is cleared up, which I can only hope that it will eventually be clear within a reasonable amount of time, I will be a much stronger person. I look forward to having my acne clear up, not only because of the obvious reasons, but with the personality I have been developing combined with an added boost I'm sure that I will have once the acne is gone, I know that I will be sooooooooooo happy and content with myself and others will hopefully feel the same way. Now I just have to wait and do what I can to stop this acne, something that we are all doing. Sometimes I just feel like yelling out, sometimes at G-d, telling him that I have learned my lesson that I shoudn;t take anything for granted and that he can cure my face now. Of course this does nothing for my face, but it just gives me more hope for my cure. I like to think that since I have grown as a person from my acne, that I can now begin the healing process, something I am looking forward towards.

Nuevo - you struck a point. Acne is not the worst of my problems. Acne is not what made me a better person.

The sexual abuse, the drug abuse, the foster homes, the courts, the psych wards - those made me a better person.

And yep, some people do stay assholes.

But it's not nice to talk about yourself that way, Nuevo.

you know what i think everyone here is missing that's becoming clearer and clearer to me: everyone has their own acne. maybe their lives seems great b/c they're hot or have amazing skin or are rich, but everyone has their own achilles heel.

as i've said before acne is hard 1) b/c its front and center and 2) people used to (do they still?) think its your fault for not washing or eating bad foods or something so they attribute it to a flaw in who are you and not just a genetic thing.

i'm glad its the only real flaw i have. and its improving. yeah i too missed out on stuff BUT so did other people for other reasons and life's not over. some people are at their prime when they're 16, some when they're 23, some when they're 34. nobody's on top for their whole lives. make the most of what you have.

remember the hot girl from 7th grade who was pregnant and working at the 7-11 when she was 20? i'd rather come into it later when i can enjoy it. (actually i'd rather have been on top all my life but that's unrealistic i think...)

Yup. Acne (or rather, now, scars) is my only real flaw. Without this shit on my skin there is nothing I could really sincerely complain about, which is maybe why I'm so obsessed with it. And objectively, I'm sure it's not as bad as I see it.

The way I see it, I'm just going to try to keep on moving up. I'm not going to peak at 21 like plenty of people I know. So right now I'm alone and miserable, balancing college and working the graveyard shift as a security guard on Sat nights while the frat boys are off having their wild drunken orgies. So the most adorable kid I've fallen for couldn't give a rat's ass about me right now cos my skin is fucked up. I get really depressed and lonely but I know things will get better.

Acne doesn't make you a better person. Abuse won't make you more understanding. Being poor won't make you appreciate stable financial standing better.

These are events. They happen. And what makes these events -worth- something is how you take them, how you deal with them, and how you let it effect you.

You make you a better person.

Acne doesn't make you a better person. Abuse won't make you more understanding. Being poor won't make you appreciate stable financial standing better.

These are events. They happen. And what makes these events -worth- something is how you take them, how you deal with them, and how you let it effect you.

You make you a better person.

Yea i second that

Acne has definetly changed me for the better! When my skin was clear (freshman year of

highschool) I thought I was untouchable. I used to be one of those superficial girls that

looked past every guy that wasnt "hot". Then acne hit and my life felt like it was crashing.

I isolated myself from everyone. Over time I had to face the facts and just live with it. I

began to see how superficial my "friends" actually were and I started to drift away from

them. I started to realize that looks arent everything and some of the greatest people

youll ever meet dont have to be attractive. I met this guy who I would have never given

a second look before acne. Hes the sweetest, kindest and nicest person I have ever met.

We're together now and its the greatest thingthat has ever happened to me! In my

acne-free daysI would have never talked to him or even given him a chance.

Recently one of my friends (who has probably never had a pimple in her life) told me he

wasnt good lookin. To me he is the most beautiful person Ive ever met. Its the inside that

counts. It just took acne to make me realize that. I think that some things in life happen

for a reason and in my case its true. I think I would despise the person I would have

become if i never suffered with acne.