Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KSAF

What do you guys mean by cysts?

I keep hearing ppl say cysts and I am wondering what this means. I have big pimples filled with puss is this a cyst?

I have big pimples filled with puss is this a cyst?

Not always. Pimples full of pus are called pustules. Nodules (cysts) are painful, deep and big, at least 5mm across and there is a hard lump way under the skin. They often refuse to come to a head, take forever to heal and often scar.

Okay, I have a gross question. My acne is usually deep under the skin & painful. But sometimes I can see a little white dot on the surface of the skin. If I take a tweezer & grab the white spot it will pull a big white ball out of my skin (looks like a pearl). If I pull this out, the spot will heal pretty quick but leave a hole or giant looking pore afterwards, if I don't & let it do it's on thing it will stay for months & eventually do the same thing (leave the huge looking pore or scar thing) Is the "pearl" a cyst or what?

-Crisco

What can be done about those? I wash my face like twice a day & exfoliate every now & then? What causes them?

-Crisco

Well, it's caused by the same thing that causes all acne - clogged pores. Cysts are basically extremely inflamed pimples and the treatment is similar although they tend to be exceptionally persistent. To start with, see a dermatologist and get diagnosed. You may start with a topical retinoid (to unclog pores) and topical antibiotic or BP (to kill bacteria in pores), and perhaps a a systemic antibiotic (for it's anti-inflammatory properties). You may need to try a few different products within that basic equation. If none of that works you'd probably be considered ready to try Accutane.

Oh great! I went to the dermatologist 2 weeks ago. She put me on oral antibiotics, retin-a micro, BP shower cleanser & then a topical antibiotic. I guess I'll just have to wait & see huh? I've heard crummy things about the accutane :( Thanks!!!

-Crisco

Oh great! I went to the dermatologist 2 weeks ago. She put me on oral antibiotics, retin-a micro, BP shower cleanser & then a topical antibiotic. I guess I'll just have to wait & see huh? I've heard crummy things about the accutane :( Thanks!!!

-Crisco

If you're scarring, you are allowed to jump right to Accutane.

But some derms make you try Antibiotics first no matter what.

Yeah, I have scarring. Most of them look like gian pores & then the ones I've touched or messed wtih look like chickne pox scars :( Are any of you guys on accutane? What is your opinion on it?

-Crisco

Yeah, I have scarring. Most of them look like gian pores & then the ones I've touched or messed wtih look like chickne pox scars :( Are any of you guys on accutane? What is your opinion on it?

-Crisco

If you are scarring, it's almost certainly your best bet. Accutane is most effective at clearing cystic acne, and of those who complete a full course, cystic acne sufferers tend to have the highest chance for permanent remission.

Antibiotics are simply -not- as effective against cystic acne. And almost always, even if they work optimally, there is breakthrough acne -- which can mean scarring if you are cystic.

Accutane means 90% assurance that you -will- be clear. And that after the course, your acne will either stay away or the severity will be drastically reduced (no more cysts usually).

I've taken it. It was the last thing in the world I wanted to do, but I started getting some scarring at 24, after over a decade of mild-moderate acne. The majority of people on the prescription forum are taking Accutane. It's a pain in the ass, but the horror stories are almost 100% bullshit.

Neuvo Wavo, what are you doing now? Are you still on anything or are you cured? How old are you now? I guess I'll see how this does & if it gets worse or does nothing then I'll try the accutane :( I guess if it doesn't kill me it will make me stronger huh?

Hey, are you a guy? I thought maybe you were from one of your other posts but your pic up there is kinda weird :D

P.S. See you're in Orlando that's not far from where I live (incase you cared :) )

-Crisco

Neuvo Wavo, what are you doing now? Are you still on anything or are you cured? How old are you now? I guess I'll see how this does & if it gets worse or does nothing then I'll try the accutane :( I guess if it doesn't kill me it will make me stronger huh?

Hey, are you a guy? I thought maybe you were from one of your other posts but your pic up there is kinda weird :D

P.S. See you're in Orlando that's not far from where I live (incase you cared :) )

-Crisco

Yes, I'm a guy. 26.

I finished my course in October 04, and stayed 100 % clear and oil free for one year (It was great, I didn't even wash my face for the first 6 months). Then I started to get some minor breakouts.

I'm actually on low dose Accutane now (which is sort of crazy acne-Jedi master shit that you don't need to think about yet).

Yeah, go ahead and try what you're doing, but don't be scared of Accutane, because if acne is really making you miserable, it's absolutely worth it.

Orlando is gay.

Good luck.

Paul

:D Thanks Paul! & Sorry about Orlando :) Ever been to the Strawberry Festival? That's where I am if you want to talk about gay.

-Crisco

What can be done about those? I wash my face like twice a day & exfoliate every now & then? What causes them?

-Crisco

I KNOW THIS MAY SOUND SILLY, BUT WHEN I FEEL AN 'UNDERGROUND PIMPLE' COMING IN I PUT BURT'S BEES BLEMISH STICK ON IT & IN A WEEK IT DISAPPEARS. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY BEFORE THE PIMPLE FULLY COMES.

Cysts suck ass. I've got one coming up on my chin. I could feel it coming. Now I'm scared it will be huge and not go away for a long time.

Antibiotics solved my cyst problem, at least till as I speak (6month to a year since i started them). Oxytetracycline was what I used.

Cysts on my face scare me. Anything that I can see/feel below the surface scares me. Because I know I'll probably have no choice but to wait it out, and then not know when to pop it, and yeah. I hate massaging BP into my face when I have active bumps, it feels so :(, but it's better than penises sprouting.

If you're not on accutante and have some cysts do they ever go away? And if those are the ones that are just hard lumps do they scar over the same way? I've had a couple for so long, I think it's scarred but it still gets irritated too.

yea i would like to know the answer to that also. i get a couple cysts a year, so if i dont take accutane will they just never stop until i grow outa acne on my own, or can the cysts stop and ill just get normal pimples even w/o accutane? (im taking tetraycline now tho)