Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
walker

Differential diagnosis anyone?

Please help me if you can. I don't know what has happened to me and I'm hoping some of you might.

About a year ago (yes a YEAR), I felt a mild swelling under the skin on the tip (yes the TIP) of my nose, so I gently applied pressure and it popped easily. A small amount of a thick, milky substance came out of the pore (apologies for the graphic description). I thought nothing of it and applied 10%bp to the spot expecting it to fade quickly. It didn't.

Week after week and then month after month it cycled through scabbing over, peeling leaving a visible hole,

filling up with oil/sebum to the point that it had to be drained, and then scabbing over again. There has been virtually no change in almost a year now. The dermatologist says it is a cyst and that there's nothing short of surgery to be done (which will leave a scar). BP and sulfur have no effect because it's not infected, at least most of the time. Oral antibiotics the same.

I'm at my wits end. The mark is bad enough, but the cycle of symptoms is even worse. You never know what it's going to be until you wake up and see it. I am considering laser treatement (smoothbeam?), accutane, needling (if I knew what it was), and even surgery. Hell I'd try voodoo if I thought it might work.

Worst of all I feel all alone in this. In addition to the fact that most people can't understand what we go through, even on this website I can't find anyone reporting a similar problem. It's so embarassing and depressing--if you have any thoughts or ideas, please post them?

Thank you all...

If it is a cyst, it's not all that bad. One of my best friends had one on her forehead which she had removed. Afterward there was a tiny line where it had been, and that went away pretty quickly, and now there's no visible scar.

maybe try something antifungal like grapefruit seed extract or wild oregano oil

also maybe an internal cleanse like a liver or candida cleanse

If it's an epidermal (another name is sebaceous) cyst, just get it removed. I've had two of these. One of them i ignored and then one day it blew up the size of a baseball, abcessed, and required some very painful surgery to deal with. It left a very ugly scar with a hole in the middle since they couldn't stitch it closed since the gunk needed to drain - it never fully closed. After this course of Accutane i'll probably ask my derm to cut the scar out and stitch it up nice and neat.

The second one i had for a while and told my derm about what happened to my first one. She removed it in her office, very little pain. It healed nicely and the mark is fading away.

Get it taken care of, it will never heal on it's own until the entire cyst is removed whole, as you can see if you pop it it just grows back because you haven't removed the sac that's causing the problem.

I have 2 recurring pimples exactly like what you described, one on either side of my nose. Nothing helped until I started using a retinol cream, which seems to be going to the source! Neither one has shown up in about 5 weeks, a personal best. :)

Q