Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlackBetty

What exaclty does accutane do

The exact mechanism of action is unknown, but like all retinoids it alters DNA transcription. As i understand it, it inhibits keratinization and desquamation (sloughing) of the cells inside the pore (and really the division of fast-dividing cells in general are inhibited - it's sometimes used as a chemotherapy agent) and shrinks the sebaceous glands and inhibits their activity. It changes the composition of the stuff that's sloughed into the pore so it's less sticky and not so prone to form a clog. It also reduces the bacterial population somewhat, and it has mild anti-inflammatory properties. Now as to how it does it EXACTLY? No one really knows.

ahh, word

thanks for the info, made sense i understand. Yeah i thought it would mess with the DNA in your oil glands to produce more "normal" oil.

Well i sure hope its going slow for me, because as of now my skin is looking worse then ever and its been 3 months..:( so depressing but what can you do

dont worry man. hang in there! i got a few weeks left of accutane (on it for about five months now) and i didnt even start seeing results til around the third month. its really amazing almost at once the zits stop coming and you can just watch your face heal everyday. and some adivise is dont pick at anything on your face while on accutane no matter how much you might want to, just let the pill do its thing.

yeah man this is month 4!!! and i have this fear accutane is making my skin worse for some reason. Unless its just bring it up to the surface is that possible? because man my skin is fucken HORIBLE right now for 3 months accutane.. it was better before

if you pick at them does it just scar easier or what

yes my doctor told me something about how it brings it up through the surface or something like that, im not an expert on this stuff at all but it does somethin like that. it scars more easily when you pick at anything, im not exactly sure why so i dont wanna sound like an idiot. dude you are about to see good results, i think it was around month four that my pimples just stopped coming so hang in there and dont pick!!