Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.Wiggles

Does aspirin help reduce inflammation?

I heard that using an aspirin mask can help dry up pimples, but I was curious if ingesting it had any effect on a pimple's inflammation, namely, reducing it.

I heard that using an aspirin mask can help dry up pimples, but I was curious if ingesting it had any effect on a pimple's inflammation, namely, reducing it.

DONT try it it does not work. I felt really good after the aspirin mask but I broke out terribly the next day (which rarely ever happens for me). Its a dangerous rumour

Topical aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) at about 10% concentration is used in after shave to avoid ingrown hairs and stop shaving bumps. Just like salicylic acid a Beta hydroxy Acid (BHA) it is an exfoliant, antimicrobial and antiinflammatory altho its molecule is larger but this makes it less iritating. Just crush aspirin into a 10% solution with water or lemon juice (citric acid)/apple cider vinegar (malic acid) if you want summat stronger.

And yes if you take an aspirin morning and night you will notice a decrease in inflammation, however topically applied the effect is far greater and hardly any goes into bloodstream, so is safer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

Most people sing the praises of the aspirin mask it is super popular at makeup alley.

http://makeupalley.com/product/showreview....ed_Brand/Masks/

Some people have great results with the mask, others dont. I used the mask for a year before it started breaking me out in bumps, not zits, but bumps. My face felt very soft afterwards and it seemed to work good (for me) at first, but then came the bumps. So I haven't used it in months.

Some people have great results with the mask, others dont. I used the mask for a year before it started breaking me out in bumps, not zits, but bumps. My face felt very soft afterwards and it seemed to work good (for me) at first, but then came the bumps. So I haven't used it in months.

Yes this pretty much occurs for all acne treatment for most people due to overdrying of the skin and stripping the oils over time with constant use. Nearly all good reviews for acne treatments are by people who've started using them. Just like any drug you need to use more and more to gain the desired effect with time. You should use it judicously.

Yes this pretty much occurs for all acne treatment for most people due to overdrying of the skin and stripping the oils over time with constant use. Nearly all good reviews for acne treatments are by people who've started using them. Just like any drug you need to use more and more to gain the desired effect with time. You should use it judicously.

I'm not sure why it started to iritate me. I only used it once a week for about a year, then I started to noticed bumps afterwards. Dont know..

I'm not sure why it started to iritate me. I only used it once a week for about a year, then I started to noticed bumps afterwards. Dont know..

Whilst possible I doubt if the mask caused the bumps, maybe daily use of a cosmetic, hormonal change or medication/supplement?

Whilst possible I doubt if the mask caused the bumps, maybe daily use of a cosmetic, hormonal change or medication/supplement?

I dont know, but when I stopped using the mask, the bumps went away and I haven't had any since then.

I dont know, but when I stopped using the mask, the bumps went away and I haven't had any since then.

OK maybe an allergy to salicates or maybe other ingredients in aspirin. Some aspirin tablets have sodium lauryl sulfate which is pore clogging and irritating if left on too long and other crap as well. Getting acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) or salicylic acid in its pure powder form is difficult.

I've had mild acne and have been using the aspirin mask for about a year and had very good results. After using it my skin looked fresh, clean, smaller pores, zits healing, smoothness all over.

But in order to have some real progress I had to use it at least everyday.

Then due to some medical condition where I had to take very strong antibiotics, I developed severe acne and had to switch to adapalene because aspirin wasn't working as good anymore.