Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DEATH_TO_ACNE

Roche Accutane vs. Generic Brand (not sure what kind yet)

Okay, so I've been on Roche Accutane since November and it's been working very slowly. (80mg a day) I'm on it until April. So, anyway, I went to pay for another supply today and I learned my coverage doesn't cover it anymore. (It was 20$, now it's 238$).....so that's a NO-NO! Called the derm and she said I can get the generic brand. (7$).....

Well, the problem is this: Will the generic brand have the same effectiveness, or totally break me out? I'm confused and worried here. If someone could lend me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Okay, so I've been on Roche Accutane since November and it's been working very slowly. (80mg a day) I'm on it until April. So, anyway, I went to pay for another supply today and I learned my coverage doesn't cover it anymore. (It was 20$, now it's 238$).....so that's a NO-NO! Called the derm and she said I can get the generic brand. (7$).....

Well, the problem is this: Will the generic brand have the same effectiveness, or totally break me out? I'm confused and worried here. If someone could lend me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate that.

It's pretty much the exact same thing. It's just as effective as the brand name.

As far as I know, you will achieve the same results, neither will work better. However, I've been told that one may have different side effects then the other, but that's not something I worry about.

Both the same, the names are only differnt for some marketing reason/medical terms ect

like minoclycline can be prescribe as generic minocycline, or as brand name Minocin.

Generic stuff usually comes in unmarked/plain white boxes from my pharmasist, but branded stuff has all the writing, brand name, ingredients ect

Even generic isotretinoin are "branded" (just not Roche brand) and come with full packaging and information. They need the packaging to print a million little no pregnant ladies symbols all over it. :rolleyes:

The only difference is in the binders and pill casings. The active ingredient is exactly the same. Sometimes generics have lower absorption than brand names, but with Accutane generics this does not seem to be the case - the absorption profiles are nearly identical. I've been on both the brand name before generics were available, and a generic called Claravis now, and have not seen any difference in effectiveness personally.