Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nup

Many questions: Do I use those or not?

Hello, I'm new here, so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm 35 and have adult cystic acne.

Please, please, please help! :pray:

I have been using adapalene for four months and since I saw no good permanent results from it I switched to BP two weeks ago. The thing is, I live in Greece and most of the products that I see mentioned on this forum are impossible to find here. All the BP products (neutrogena and BP gel) are unavailable, and so are the cleansers and moisturisers mentioned on here.

I started using the only BP-containing acne cream I found here, called brevoxyl (BP 4%), while cleansing with a bar my dermatologist suggested that is locally made and contains salicylic acid. Note that I made the switch from adapalene to BP without consulting a doctor, purely by what information I found on the internet and also based on some very good reviews I read in here.

Another thing is that, as expected, BP is making my skin sooooo dry. So far I've been using bepanthol (bepanthene?) as a moisturiser and it was good enough, but it does not seem to be working anymore. In fact, my dry bits are still dry, while my oily bits still get extra shiny! So in my quest for the perfect moisturiser I came across a facial cream by biotherm that also contains salicylic acid. A friend let me try some of her's and it was good as a moisturiser but for a while after I applied it it stung my skin. Boy, did it hurt!

So, I would be eternally grateful to all those of you who know a little more and could answer some questions for me:

Question #1: To your knowledge, is it advisable to use BP and salicylic acid together?

Question #2: How long after you apply the BP do you wait until you put on the moisturiser? Does it matter if you put it immediately after your skin feels dry? Is it bad to use a dry skin cream (as a night cream)?

Question #3: Do I use the biotherm cream even if it hurts?

And last question: What about the aspirin face mask? Anybody use it? Any good results from it? I did use it for a while and had good results but the progress was terribly slow.

Thankies :)

Hi there. From what i have read, it is NOT advisable to use salicylic acid and BP together--This is too harsh and can arrgivate acne and the drying of your skin.

You should wait at least 15 minutes after washing your face to put on the BP because right after you wash, your skin is very sensitive, and puting on BP right afterwards can cause excessive irritation.

If your skin is very red and dry, I read that you can try putting on a lotion BEFORE the BP. I know it is not following the Regimen exactly, but if it helps the dryness and still clears the acne, I think it is worth a try.

I think a dry skin cream is fine at night as long as you feel it is helping you and not aggravating your acne.

I wouldn't use anything that hurts your face, because this may be a sign that it is reacting with the BP and causing too much irritation. Try to combine products that don't cause irritation.

Face masks might help if you use them once or twice a week. Perhaps you should wait and get your skin less dry and irritated before trying anymore masks. Allow your skin to heal a bit before adding any new steps to your cleansing routine.

Thanks for replying.

You have a very good point there about not using too many products at the same time (overcleaning and overcaring is what gave me the acne in the first place) it's just that I am too eager to get rid of it to think straight! :confused:

Anyways, I thought that since I get so dry and flakey I could try using a very strong moisturising cream in the night, and so far it's going ok. BP keeps clearing me up and the night cream keeps me moisturised and still have had no break ups. So I guess it's trial and error with these things.

So, I would be eternally grateful to all those of you who know a little more and could answer some questions for me:

Question #1: To your knowledge, is it advisable to use BP and salicylic acid together?

Question #2: How long after you apply the BP do you wait until you put on the moisturiser? Does it matter if you put it immediately after your skin feels dry? Is it bad to use a dry skin cream (as a night cream)?

And last question: What about the aspirin face mask? Anybody use it? Any good results from it? I did use it for a while and had good results but the progress was terribly slow.

first of, if your acne is cystic, i'd recommend asking your derm to put u on accutane/roaccutane (depending on your location). now if it's unavailable where u live, read the CSR section and start the regimen.

now for your questions:

1) i've used BP2.5% along with SA cleanser , it worked ok together BUT it was too harsh for my skin. so i ended up fairly clean but sick-red. if it's the case with u too, avoid using them together.

2) 15 minutes, like direcrted. and i apply the BP about 10 minutes after washing my face. (it takes about that time for it to dry). dry skin cream? i wouldn't do it, it's too much stuff on your face. get a decent moisturizer to deal with dryness (neutrogena moisture spf15 is my favourite).

3) huh?...

4) double huh?

anywayz if i were u, i wouldn't torture my skin and waste money, i would definately go for accutane. especially if it's your first time.

good luck!

Hello! Thanks for the advise.

I do have cystic acne but after four months of adapalene I don't get those huge cysts that are impossible to cure and stay under the skin for like ever. When I do break out now (pretty rarely) the zits are much easier to get rid of and are closer to the surface. Actually adapalene made me better but at some point it stopped working. For about a month I kept using it but I wasn't seeing any difference.

I was left with some zits that refused to go and some very clogged pores (on my chin) that looked like bumps under the skin that are a bit reddish on top. Then I switched to BP and after almost two weeks of using it the zits have started to disappear, but the clogged pores are still clogged.

I would not opt for accutane (it is available here) for two reasons: first of, I am terrified of the side effects (I've heard of joint pains and depression) and second the problem is not that big anymore.

The soap that my derm prescribed is pretty drying but does not irritate me. Generally I don't get any redness or pain by using it (or by using BP).

The biotherm creme (Acnopur) I used as a moisturiser once and it was good but it stung (it contains salicylic acid and BHA). I'm going to try out the Neutrogena you suggested.

As for the aspirin mask - I've seen it mentioned all over for the last couple of years. You're supposed to buy a pack of aspirins crush them to make some kind of gritty dust and then you use about a teaspoon of it dissolved in water. It does not dissolve completely. You apply this to clean skin. After a few minutes it dries up and you wash the rest off. What it supposedly does is this: mild exfoliation, helps minimize large pores and heal zits. I have used it for some time and it was good enough but I found that in order to get a real progress (ie no more break outs) I had to use it at least once every day, which is too much and it can irritate your skin and make it more sensitive.

1. Don't use bp and sa together.. too much irritation, ya skin wont enjoy it

2. 10-15 mins, I like to do 15 mins to give it the maximum amount of time to absorb but 15 mins is the absolute MAX

3. not sure what biotherm cream is, it some kind of anti-septic? I wouldnt bother just stick to cleansing, treating with bp and moisturizing

4. never tried face mask although I really like to keep it simple and just cleanse, treat and moisturize

10-15 mins, I like to do 15 mins to give it the maximum amount of time to absorb but 15 mins is the absolute MAX

Right. This what I do now and I was hoping to reduce the time I'm waiting between BP and moisturiser. I guess I'll have to endure about 30-45 mins in the bathroom! Thanks for the advise.