Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
parkeravilio

Diet, acne, and how long it takes for pimples to form?

I get acne everywhere - back, face, and chest. I've been to the doctor and taken antibiotics, which didn't work. I've tried all of the over the counter products, and there's only one that seems to have any impact at all - salicylic acid which helps a little. Benzoil peroxide doesn't work at all for me - it seems to just make the pimples go deeper, bigger, and make them last longer! Seperately, I tried not eating different foods - tried not eating wheat, then tried not eating dairy, and tried not eating sugar and chocolate. I got mixed results. The only thing I could tell with food is that some foods definitely make me break out - foods like rice, potatoes, chocolate bars, and bread. But eliminating them doesn't guarantee I won't break out, it's just that if I do eat them, I know I'll definitely break out. There are only two things I haven't tried that I know of - accutane (which my doctor wouldn't prescribe because he said "It's not bad enough for that," but he's blind!) and the vitamin B5 thing I learned about here.

Right now I'm almost completely clear, and I think it's because of diet. I broke out really bad during Christmas break when I ate the holiday foods which included candy, stuffing (bread), and potatoes. It was so frustrating. Then I thought maybe if I cut out all of these foods at once it would help. So for the past two weeks I've eaten only vegetables, fruit, lean meat and eggs. No dairy, no grains, no sugar, and not much fat. So far it seems to be working, but it's only been two weeks. But I haven't had skin this clear since I started breaking out in the first place, so I'm really hoping this is it. But eating this way is kind of hard - no potato chips, no chocolate, no bread, no cereal, no milk, etc.! I'm going to keep it up, but if I stay clear I'd like to try adding a small amount of some of these foods back to see if I can tolerate them. But I don't know how long it takes for a pimple to form, so how do I definitely correlate what I eat with new pimples?

Does anyone know how long it takes for a pimple to show up once the pore is blocked? Or does anyone have any experience getting rid of acne with diet? It seems to me like if I eat a candy bar, for example, I'll see a new pimple forming the next day. Is this how it works for anyone else?

I get acne everywhere - back, face, and chest. I've been to the doctor and taken antibiotics, which didn't work. I've tried all of the over the counter products, and there's only one that seems to have any impact at all - salicylic acid which helps a little. Benzoil peroxide doesn't work at all for me - it seems to just make the pimples go deeper, bigger, and make them last longer! Seperately, I tried not eating different foods - tried not eating wheat, then tried not eating dairy, and tried not eating sugar and chocolate. I got mixed results. The only thing I could tell with food is that some foods definitely make me break out - foods like rice, potatoes, chocolate bars, and bread. But eliminating them doesn't guarantee I won't break out, it's just that if I do eat them, I know I'll definitely break out. There are only two things I haven't tried that I know of - accutane (which my doctor wouldn't prescribe because he said "It's not bad enough for that," but he's blind!) and the vitamin B5 thing I learned about here.

Right now I'm almost completely clear, and I think it's because of diet. I broke out really bad during Christmas break when I ate the holiday foods which included candy, stuffing (bread), and potatoes. It was so frustrating. Then I thought maybe if I cut out all of these foods at once it would help. So for the past two weeks I've eaten only vegetables, fruit, lean meat and eggs. No dairy, no grains, no sugar, and not much fat. So far it seems to be working, but it's only been two weeks. But I haven't had skin this clear since I started breaking out in the first place, so I'm really hoping this is it. But eating this way is kind of hard - no potato chips, no chocolate, no bread, no cereal, no milk, etc.! I'm going to keep it up, but if I stay clear I'd like to try adding a small amount of some of these foods back to see if I can tolerate them. But I don't know how long it takes for a pimple to form, so how do I definitely correlate what I eat with new pimples?

Does anyone know how long it takes for a pimple to show up once the pore is blocked? Or does anyone have any experience getting rid of acne with diet? It seems to me like if I eat a candy bar, for example, I'll see a new pimple forming the next day. Is this how it works for anyone else?

I started a extremly healthy diet w/ efa, tons of vitamins and supplements and it really seemed to help my acne. I never did the colon or liver cleanse which I plan to do soon and I think that will have the best results. I notice with food if I eat really good my skin will clear up about 5 days later it will get worse in about the same time after I eat bad which leads me to believe that I need to clean out my colon because the bad things are absorbing a couple days later insted of being expelled. I just ordered a total body cleanse from blessedherbs.com I will post the results in about a month.

Pimples take about 2 weeks to form. Same with cysts and everything else. A blocked pore that maybe has a big blackhead could take 3 weeks to a month to form.

But diet so far at least is helping. But I plan to stick with it for 6 months to see if dairy is the culprit.

:clap: great job man. I'm on a very similar nutritional diet and am experiencing great results. Clearing very fast with no new beakouts 6 weeks in. I'm not using any topicals. Keep it up and share your updates :D

i think acne can definitely be affected by diet/digestion.. and i think we're all slightly different with regard to the amount of time the entire digestion process takes place. because of this we'll each notice different lengths of time for spots to occur. i found that too much sugar would show up on my face within a couple of days. other problem foods for me may take up to 5-6 days. but again, this is just me - and i don't for one minute think everyone will be the same.

my best advice is to keep a food journal for at least 3 months recording everything you eat, and the condition of your skin each day. this is what i do (still keep a diary to note progress) - and as a result i now understand my skin very well.

It varies. Some people it takes1 day, others 2 - 3 days or it can take as long as a week or two. Yet when I think about it, the length of time it takes a pimple to form may indeed depend on the type/size of the acne forming. Take me for example:

Length of Time (Duration):

Sugar Pimples (pustules) - 2 - 3 days (goes away in 2 - 3 days too)

Cysts or Nodules - 5 - 7 days (but can last for weeks)

Type:

Of course the longer something is present, the more likelyyou are to experience pigmentation issues (red, brown, purple, black marks) so it's best of you are able to pinpoint which foods produce certain types of acne so you can weigh your risk accordingly.

For example with me:

White sugar/table sugar = sugar pimples

Wheat/gluten = regular size pimples (all I know is 95% of my face & body acne disappeared)

Corn Syrup/HFCS/Honey = cysts or nodules

Nuts = small cysts or tiny stubborn neck pimples (depends on the nut)

Sensititivity:

How much of a particular food can be tolerated will vary based on the individual also. Some people find that they can consume a food if it's prepared a certain way:

Organic vs. Commercial (meat)

Fermented vs. Unfermented (i.e. soybean)

Sprouted Vs. Unsprouted (gluten grains, low-gluten spelt, legumes, nuts).

While others find that they can tolerate "added sugar" consumption if they exercise almost immediately afterwards. I haven't tested that theory out, but I do know that I personally am sensitive to as little as 4g of added sugar (a piece of candy) or even a taste of peanut butter.

Anyway, hope the above helped some. Good Luck!