Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's quite commonly said that acne is caused by B vitamin deficiency, but how should i get my B vitamins? I recently bought a b vit supplement but it contains lots of b12, which i've heard is actually bad for acne.

Askshelley recommends something called yeast flakes but i can't find them in any health food shop, anyone know what they actually ARE? I asked the woman in the shop but she'd never heard of em (i live in the UK). I don't suppose it's the same as brewer's yeast?

Guest Gentle~Rain

It's quite commonly said that acne is caused by B vitamin deficiency, but how should i get my B vitamins? I recently bought a b vit supplement but it contains lots of b12, which i've heard is actually bad for acne.

Askshelley recommends something called yeast flakes but i can't find them in any health food shop, anyone know what they actually ARE? I asked the woman in the shop but she'd never heard of em (i live in the UK). I don't suppose it's the same as brewer's yeast?

I think that's exactly what they are....I'm in the USA...we used to get brewer's yeast flakes in the grocery vitamin isle. You can sprinkle it over cereal, mix it with bread dough, in things like meat loaf too....or add it to smoothies and shakes.

Maybe you should take probiotics. Lack of good bacteria in bowels can cause vit B defiency...

Shouldn't brewer's yeast be avoided by acne-prone types though, in case of candida?

Brewer's yeast is a different kind of yeast. Brewer's yeast is dead yeast and will not cause candida or do anything in the negative for it. Brewer's yeast also contains RNA/DNA, which is very good for everything.

Yeah i've been a vegetarian since i was born but i don't want to take a supplement with B12 in as it could exacerbate matters.

Does anyone know which B vits brewer's yeast contains?

Yeah i've been a vegetarian since i was born but i don't want to take a supplement with B12 in as it could exacerbate matters.

You think it could worsen your acne? Where did you read that? I don't understand how that could be. You better eat a lot of eggs and yogurt or kefir because B12 deficiency can be serious.

I think it has all except B12.

You think it could worsen your acne? Where did you read that? I don't understand how that could be. You better eat a lot of eggs and yogurt or kefir because B12 deficiency can be serious.

I think it has all except B12.

I agree. I've never heard anything of the sort. Get some b12 in you, especially if you don't eat any animal products. It's in emergen-C.

That's absolutely RIDICULOUS. If you don't get some B12 into you, you're in for a world of hurt, my friend.

Bryan

That thing about B12 is something i read on this website. Do a search of 'Agnus Cactus' and you will find someone saying that B12 can 'cause acne directly'.

Well i eat a lot of eggs anyway. Never heard of 'kefir', what is it? Or emergen-C either, is that a kind of supplement?

I guess i will get some Brewer's yeast then, is everyone sure it won't cause candida? How do you eat it, just take a spoonful b4 a meal?

That thing about B12 is something i read on this website. Do a search of 'Agnus Cactus' and you will find someone saying that B12 can 'cause acne directly'.

Well i eat a lot of eggs anyway. Never heard of 'kefir', what is it? Or emergen-C either, is that a kind of supplement?

I guess i will get some Brewer's yeast then, is everyone sure it won't cause candida? How do you eat it, just take a spoonful b4 a meal?

Kefir is almost exactly like yogurt but even better. You can get it at health food stores and some regular grocery stores. Actually it might be called "cultured milk" in the UK. http://www.kefir.net/kefiryogurt.htm

Emergen-C is a supplement. It has vitamin C, various B-vitamins, and minerals. It has over 400% of the RDI of B12 -- probably because you don't actually absorb very much B12 in supplement form. I take it every second day, and I don't think it makes me break out.

Neither brewer's yeast nor nutritional yeast flakes cause candida. They're dead yeasts.

That kefir sounds bloody good, is anyone in the UK eating this stuff and if so where do you buy it?

I dunno what bad things could come from a vit B12 deficiency?

Floss, you're doing anti Candida stuff, and at the same time you're looking to take Yeast flakes?! The exact sort of thing you should be avoiding, you gotta remember there are 1001 causes of acne, you can't have then all, neither can you possibly try to combat them all at once, as a treatment for one cause is going to hinder the treatment for something else.

@ Kaleidoskope - Brewers Yeast is one of the foods listen to avoid

Copied and pasted from Healthexcel.com:

YEAST PRODUCTS such as beer, wine, yeast leavened bread, natural B vitamins, brewer's yeast, should be avoided.

@ Kaleidoskope - Brewers Yeast is one of the foods listen to avoid

Copied and pasted from Healthexcel.com:

YEAST PRODUCTS such as beer, wine, yeast leavened bread, natural B vitamins, brewer's yeast, should be avoided.

They don't know what they're talking about.

And you do? based on what? Based on what you've read elsewhere, they at least probably conducted their own tests.

Perhaps you're even right, but you're yet to substantiate your claims

Myth #5 You can't eat Yeast of any kind.

Wrong! Dietary yeast like Brewer's Yeast, or Nutrional Yeast Flakes, or the yeast cakes used to make bread rise, will not promote systemic candidiasis. Yeasts don't eat other yeasts, and live yeasts can't spring from these dietary/nutritional yeasts.

Read the myths. http://www.askshelley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1903

And you do? based on what? Based on what you've read elsewhere, they at least probably conducted their own tests.

Perhaps you're even right, but you're yet to substantiate your claims

You're right that I'm only basing my belief on what I've read elsewhere. But if you google "brewer's yeast candida", you'll read on many sites that they're unrelated. And it doesn't seem logical that that candida would feed on dead yeast.

Well it is very hard to know what to believe on this one. Are nutritional yeast flakes and brewer's yeast even the same thing? From what you've quoted hoppy it sounds like candida has nothing to do with ANY kind of yeast we eat, even in bread. My impression tho was that candida was caused by eating too much white bread and stuff (yeah and sugar etc i know.)

Frankly, i'm unsure whether i have candida or a B vits deficiency, from the crap i've grown up eating i seem likely to have either or both. Candida itself can CAUSE a b vit deficiency too i think.

Are nutritional yeast flakes and brewer's yeast even the same thing?

They're similar, but brewer's yeast just has B-vitamins, while nutritional yeast flakes have that plus all kinds of other nutrients. And NYF taste way better in my opinion.

My impression tho was that candida was caused by eating too much white bread and stuff (yeah and sugar etc i know.)

The idea that eating sugar "feeds" candida is another Old Wives' Tale.

Bryan

WTF?? Then why is everyone on this board avoiding sugar for gods sake? The net is full of stupid old wives tales and it's impossible to know who to believe when there's so many different wives with so many different tales.

WTF?? Then why is everyone on this board avoiding sugar for gods sake? The net is full of stupid old wives tales and it's impossible to know who to believe when there's so many different wives with so many different tales.

B12 should be one of the supplements to consider taking. 100 mg twice a day should lower your oilyness and help you heal faster. Anyone who says B12 is a cause of acne is very mistaken.