Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clearskin_Jess

Rice Powder - Chinese Secret (?)

Has anyone used this or heard of it? I came across it last night and spent about 2 hours reading about it last night. It's a powder that can be worn as a base to help hide pores before foundation. It can be mixed with mineral makeup to help oil and/or it can be worn as a finishing powder to give you a matte look. I thought I'd post it here for all those would like to read about it. Seems to be cheap and most reviews are awesome.

Here is all I found about it last night:

Problem: Pores Appear Larger or Powder is Lying in Fine Lines?

Cause: Over-application and/or the product has been applied with a brush. (This can be more frequent with lighter shades which are more luminous.)

Solution: Blend rice powder and minerals 1/2 and 1/2, apply with a sponge using a pressing, rocking motion to set the mineral makeup. Using a damp sponge would "set" the powder and lift off any excess powder on top of the skin.

I agree that it does work well, you can also get it at Sally's (loose and these little papers which have it on them, they are very cool and convenient).

However, the one problem there is with rice powder is that bc it's a food product, it can harbor much more bacteria than talc, mica or zinc/titanium powders and bc of that it can cause probs for acne prone peeps.

That is what I'm looking into now, I have been reading up on that and talking with some people about it. I know of a few acne prone ladies who have used it for years, with no problems, so I guess it depends on each indiv. person. I was at Sally's earlier today and saw the powder and papers, very reasonably priced. Rice powder is not an inert ingredient, just like cornstarch; therefore, it will eventually have an expiration date and could possibly get contaminated by bacteria. I should think, though, that if you tap a little bit into your swirling bowl and apply from that, you wouldn't transmit any bacteria back to the container. That and wash your brushes regularly.

where do u get rice powder from ?

Yeah, I'm sure you're right -- I've used the papers before but not the loose powder *I love sally's* You've probably brought up a good point in keeping brushes clean anyway. One of my probs though is I tend to keep makeup longer than they said you should, so perhaps if it's used up in a reasonable amount of time it'd be just fine.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right -- I've used the papers before but not the loose powder *I love sally's* You've probably brought up a good point in keeping brushes clean anyway. One of my probs though is I tend to keep makeup longer than they said you should, so perhaps if it's used up in a reasonable amount of time it'd be just fine.

I haven't talked to anyone (yet) who has used it that had any bad effects from it, so that is a good thing. I am the same as you, some of my makeup I've had for way longer than I should. I really need to clean out my makeup and throw it out. I love Sally's too, was just there yesterday and spent way too much money. :whistle:

I haven't talked to anyone (yet) who has used it that had any bad effects from it, so that is a good thing. I am the same as you, some of my makeup I've had for way longer than I should. I really need to clean out my makeup and throw it out. I love Sally's too, was just there yesterday and spent way too much money. :whistle:

Too funny, me too!

Funny you should mention this: I went home during summer with a lot of dark brown/red post-inflammatory marks on my cheeks. My aunt gave me some rice powder to apply on my face every night. My face definitely got better -- but I don't know whether it was purely rice powder or because of the change in climate (I spend 8 months in Canada, and go back to Malaysia during summers).

Back to rice powder: it has been a long-time remedy for skin allergies/rashes among the Chinese. My grandma used to make it all the time, and my mom is currently making a new batch now. It takes up to a year for the rice to turn into powder. I don't truly know the procedure, so I can't help you there.

Guest Gentle~Rain

Is rice powder the same as rice flour? Or are they really different? Is it a matter of particle size or are they compositionally different?

Funny you should mention this: I went home during summer with a lot of dark brown/red post-inflammatory marks on my cheeks. My aunt gave me some rice powder to apply on my face every night. My face definitely got better -- but I don't know whether it was purely rice powder or because of the change in climate (I spend 8 months in Canada, and go back to Malaysia during summers).

Back to rice powder: it has been a long-time remedy for skin allergies/rashes among the Chinese. My grandma used to make it all the time, and my mom is currently making a new batch now. It takes up to a year for the rice to turn into powder. I don't truly know the procedure, so I can't help you there.

Thanks for posting. I plan on giving it a try.

Is rice powder the same as rice flour? Or are they really different? Is it a matter of particle size or are they compositionally different?

Its the same thing.

Ok, I've made up my mind. There are currently no active acne on my face. All that's left are awful-looking dark red marks on both sides of my cheek :doubt: SO, I'm going to re-try using the rice powder I still have (which I stopped using after coming back to Canada -- because I was too embarassed to be seen by my roomie looking like I have flour on my cheeks in the middle of the night :) )

Anywhoo, I'm going to religiously put rice powder on my right cheek and Vitamin E oil (from the capsule) on my left and see how it goes (ie which one works better).

As stated before, rice powder (or 'bedak sejuk') has been a long time remedy for all races in my country. This is a link of weblogs in referance to bedak sejuk (some of it are in Malay language...)

http://adib.typepad.com/blog/2004/09/bedak_sejuk.html

Veggie girl sells this stuff. I bought it from her and have been using it as a finishing powder. Sui, are you saying it is helpful for hyperpigmentation? I can see how it would help conceal pores and absorb oil, but I had not idea is would help with pigmentation.

As far as I know, the Chinese and the Malays used it back in the old days to 'whiten' their complexions after long hours working under in the sun. That's where the idea for whitening products in Asia comes from, I guess.

I used it during summer -- slapped it on every night before going to bed. It could have helped my post-inflammation hyperpigmentation. But then again, since I used it for three months, time would've help in fading it too.

p/s The rice powder I'm talking about might differ from the one Jess is inquiring about. This rice powder I use is home-made:

Rice is soaked in water for up to a year (water is changed daily) until the rice becomes powder. Tiny pellets are made from this paste and then dried under the hot sun. These can then be stored in a dry, clean container. Just add water to make the balls into paste again and put it on your zits/marks/rash/chicken pox.... It has a cooling effect (hence the name "Bedak Sejuk" which means "Cooling Powder") that will soothe itchiness while absorbing oil at the same time.

Hi All,

I bought some Rice Flour from my local grocery store. It cost under $2.00. I wanted to use it as a finishing powder, over my foundation. (Normal face powder has Talc in it and it breaks me out). I was so keen to try it. Then I tried it and was disappointed because it had a grainy feel/texture to it (like fine sand). The graininess was noticeable and felt scratchy on my skin. Is all Rice Flour/Powder like this?

Hi All,

I bought some Rice Flour from my local grocery store. It cost under $2.00. I wanted to use it as a finishing powder, over my foundation. (Normal face powder has Talc in it and it breaks me out). I was so keen to try it. Then I tried it and was disappointed because it had a grainy feel/texture to it (like fine sand). The graininess was noticeable and felt scratchy on my skin. Is all Rice Flour/Powder like this?

No, it shouldn't be. You need to buy it from an Asian store or a place online that sells the pure rice powder. This is the place that I am ordering mine from https://shop.gardenofwisdom.com/displayProd...g?productId=437 as you can see she says it's "Soft, silky feeling". I know of someone who has used the rice powder from that site and it isn't grainy at all, very fine and soft.

Urm......bedak sejuk can be used for prickly heat, amongst other skin problems -- but keep in mind that the product in your link contains "Menthol, camphor, triclocarban, perfume, kaolin, talc", which might clog pores. The stuff I'm using contains no preservative whatsoever since it's home-made and looks like this: http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10803134/Be...uty_Powder.html

The weird thing is that I've asked my Chinese friends about this stuff I'm using, and most of them have never heard of it. I'm starting to think it's more of a Malay(sian) thing, because if you googled "Bedak Sejuk" and "Jerawat" (meaning 'acne' in Malay) you have a lot more results than googling 'rice powder'.