Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scarssux

Dermebrosia

hello everyone im new here and im from sweden! :D

I have alot of scars around my cheeks and they cover about 70% of my cheek. :sick:

Ive had them for probably some years now and i finally decided to go to dermatoligst and ask for treatment for it. He told me he could do dermobrosia but the scars wont be really gone, it will probably improve by 10% he said at worst / normal. Im asian btw does that affect me somehow? And all my family have really good skin, my father that is 50 looks like hes 30 and my mother that is 45 looks around 35. My sister is the one with the best skin, her skin is flawless has a nice olive dark colour, but my skin is white...

10% is nothing and i feel pretty sad that it wont improve with something around 40%, but he said hes not really sure how it goes cause its from person to person. SO could anyone tell me how good dermobrosia is compared to other types of scar treatment, cause i really want it fixed. He also said hell make my cheek bleed (thats how he knows to stop) and after that hell give me bandage around that area.

What i want to know if there are any side effects, cause i know the skin is quite sensitive and will be red for some months and the pigment is non existent, he told me to use high protection UV but this summer im going to china and it might be quite sunny and hurt my skin (skin cancer?!) so how sensitive is the skin. I would probably go to china after 4 months and can i go and play sports like i normally do under the summer?

This is my cheeks if someone want to give me some kind of tip from seeing it, i also read the scar types in the main site, but im kind confused if i have ice picks or rolling scars (the kind of that look like a scar network). My type of acne is like small holes but its pretty shallow. It looks alot worse than what they came out from the camera, imagine them like small holes thats gathered around that looks like some disfigured smooth surface.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Please help me. Im really desperate, the scars is making me feel bad. Sometimes i think about them and it really disturbs my thought so i cant concentrate. :cry:

In english, we commonly refer to this as dermabrasion. If you learn to use the seach function and enter in dermabrasion you will find much information on this site. If you enter in +asian +dermabrasion into the search you will find that dermabrasion can cause many problems for asian skin types so it's probably not worth it for 10% improvement or the cost.

In english, we commonly refer to this as dermabrasion. If you learn to use the seach function and enter in dermabrasion you will find much information on this site. If you enter in +asian +dermabrasion into the search you will find that dermabrasion can cause many problems for asian skin types so it's probably not worth it for 10% improvement or the cost.

OMG. Is that true? So my scars wilcant be healed? :cry:

The doctor said it might be better, but i want more than 35% improvment at most.

Can anyone help me :wall:

Read these threads.

Demarcation Lines

Red Patches

Along with the possibility of those you can also expect lengthy healing time from the procedure which can be very emotionally draining along with the risk of new additional scarring. Asian skin is just plain difficult to treat.

I was reading them. Used the search function and found them. Thank you for helping me, sometimes i feel really sad and ppl like u in this forum exist to brighten my day up. But from those i read it seems like theirs skin was pretty dark, but then i have pretty sensitive skin and from those i read it seems like it takes years to heal from dermabrasion, 11 month and its still red like a tomato. :wacko:

But i dont think i can find the flex method these ppl are talking about, i tried to google it but nothing came out from the swedish search function. I feel really afraid now to do dermabrasion as it might cause me more problem for a longer period. :cry:

scarssux,

My fellow asian friend, don't do it. Yes I agree that from your pics you don't have flawless skin, but it looks normal and doesn't look bad at all. I won't be surprised (but would still feel digusted) if your doctor has not disclosed the real risks of dermabrasion, especially for asians.

10% (or even 0%) improvement is not the worst possible result. You can lose things that you take for granted, such as your uniform, natural skin tone, and flawless jawline and hairline. You may never be able to cut your hair short or have spiky hair again without exposing color demarcation along the hairline. Instead of having a normal face, I am wearing a mask with distinct boundary now.

Beware if your doctor says you will only be red for a few months. Dermabrasion can cause long term Rosacea (persistent redness and flushing), and it has nothing to do with your pigment level. e.g. I look red under rest condition. When I exercise, or when I'm exposed to heat or cold, I turn super red. I am getting used to being laughed at at work, or when I dine at restaurants with strong lightings. I've read about cases (asians, caucasians) that took over 10 - 15 years to fade. Some reported that it never faded.

A few months ago someone posted the website of a doctor who performs dermabrasion too. (No it is not Allek or Futon ... I searched and searched but I cannot find it. If someone knows what it is please post it again.) He discourages people with ethnic background to have dermabrasion (even if your pigment level is light) because of risks of permanent discoloration and lines. He only does dermabrasion for type I or II people.

Of course, if you are lucky you may heal wonderfully with smoother skin and no damage. But why take the risk of disfiguring yourself (like I did) when you look normal and not bad at all? 4 asians suffering from dermabrasion within a year in such a small population is a strong indication of the real risk. I would hate to see another suffer unnecessarily, espcially one so young with so much life ahead of him.

As for being bothered by your scars, I suggest managing it by weighing things you are happy or proud of versus things you are not. Don't be surprised that your goods far outeigh what you don't like. This is how I overcome my (quite possibly permanent) disfigurement. I acknowlege my pain but I put it in a compartment, so it will not overflow and drown me like the first 7 months after dermabrasion.

Your feeling may have been hurt by a few insensitive or little minded people, but don't let that drive you to scrape your whole face off. Remember we have the right to not have flawless skin.

Good luck and best wishes.

scarssux,

My fellow asian friend, don't do it. Yes I agree that from your pics you don't have flawless skin, but it looks normal and doesn't look bad at all. I won't be surprised (but would still feel digusted) if your doctor has not disclosed the real risks of dermabrasion, especially for asians.

10% (or even 0%) improvement is not the worst possible result. You can lose things that you take for granted, such as your uniform, natural skin tone, and flawless jawline and hairline. You may never be able to cut your hair short or have spiky hair again without exposing color demarcation along the hairline. Instead of having a normal face, I am wearing a mask with distinct boundary now.

Beware if your doctor says you will only be red for a few months. Dermabrasion can cause long term Rosacea (persistent redness and flushing), and it has nothing to do with your pigment level. e.g. I look red under rest condition. When I exercise, or when I'm exposed to heat or cold, I turn super red. I am getting used to being laughed at at work, or when I dine at restaurants with strong lightings. I've read about cases (asians, caucasians) that took over 10 - 15 years to fade. Some reported that it never faded.

A few months ago someone posted the website of a doctor who performs dermabrasion too. (No it is not Allek or Futon ... I searched and searched but I cannot find it. If someone knows what it is please post it again.) He discourages people with ethnic background to have dermabrasion (even if your pigment level is light) because of risks of permanent discoloration and lines. He only does dermabrasion for type I or II people.

Of course, if you are lucky you may heal wonderfully with smoother skin and no damage. But why take the risk of disfiguring yourself (like I did) when you look normal and not bad at all? 4 asians suffering from dermabrasion within a year in such a small population is a strong indication of the real risk. I would hate to see another suffer unnecessarily, espcially one so young with so much life ahead of him.

As for being bothered by your scars, I suggest managing it by weighing things you are happy or proud of versus things you are not. Don't be surprised that your goods far outeigh what you don't like. This is how I overcome my (quite possibly permanent) disfigurement. I acknowlege my pain but I put it in a compartment, so it will not overflow and drown me like the first 7 months after dermabrasion.

Your feeling may have been hurt by a few insensitive or little minded people, but don't let that drive you to scrape your whole face off. Remember we have the right to not have flawless skin.

Good luck and best wishes.

THnx man. Ive really reconsidered doing it and after seeing how u regret it and alot of ppl i think it might be the best idea to fix the scars. I have really shallow scars, i would be happy if just an area of 5x5 would just be less scared then i wouldnt really care cause i think flawless skin isnt that important cause its not like anyone has it, just go outside and ull find 90% with bad skin (counting them with make up, cause if u had flawless skin would u hide it?). Are there any other surgeries u would consider to take a away a small area of 5 x 5 (not take away but make it smoother). Is it true the dermobrasian has to be done with the whole cosmetic area of the cheek , cause i wouldnt mind with a small area that would just be 30% better.

I can consider the fraxel laser that everyone is talking about cause its so new that the goverment inscurance doesnt cover it. :wall: Also the doctor said the redness would go away in about 5 months.. and that the skin would be okay. I even asked him if it would look any different during winter or summer, and he said: No.

No one has really made fun of our pointed out that i have scars, but i still dont want them (maybe on to look more manly, but thats it ;) ).

It would be great if u wanted to chat with me in msn about this, cause there are so many questions i want to ask. my msn [email protected]

Your Asian so don't do it. Take what colin said to heart. U really look pretty good without doing anything. U would definately get more than 10% improvement thoufgh as your scars are really not very deep. I would suggest Fraxel. Even if it doesnt totally eliminate your scars u will look a lot better. Good luck

I cant afford fraxel, cost so damn much here in sweden. Its so rare that only one place got it and it cost about 1140$ for once, and i cant afford even doing it once imagine doing it 3 times. Im just a student.

Also i dont think swedish health care would pay for it, they would pay for a dermabrasion but then im not sure they would pay for private clinics. Ive also reconsidered, im leaning towards not doing dermabrasion but then i cant afford anything else . But i still want the down part of my cheek having about 30% scar improvement, if i could reach that i wouldnt really matter. The scar on my upper cheek i would probably keep it cause it looks pretty cool cause it makes more manly (i dont want flawless skin).

How much better would it be with fraxel and are their other ways to improve without wasting alot of money.

You already look so cute :wub: