Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Narcisses

ACCUTANE AND FRAXEL CONTRAINDICATED???

Hi Guys,

Please tell me if anyone knows if being on Accutane and having Fraxel at the same time is contraindicated. My dermatologist says it's fine.

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE HEARD OTHER WISE!!

-miss n

I guess it would depend on the skin and how dry it gets on accutane. Last week someone mentioned that it was a plus to recieve fraxel soon after accutane. My skin is way too dry to do anything for a least a few months of accutane.

I googled it and it says 6 months except for one site where it says no contraindication. I called three derms and one saud after a month, the others said 5 months and 6 months. ???????????????????????????????

Anyone just off accutane got fraxelled please relate your excperience! :)

I would not do it. Think about how unhappy you would get if it made your skin worse only because you are on accutane. Wait.

There is honestly not that much difference between getting anything done while on or soon after accutane and without ever taking accutane as long as your skin is not severely dry. This is a no brainer for most that if your face is flaking and really dry its probably not a good time to do any resurfacing. To be on the safe side the makers of Accutane put 6 months for resurfacing. My derm said 2-3 months is long enough for any resurfacing including dermabrasion. I would maybe wait a month or two anyway. I plan on waiting the entire 6 months since I have 14 days left on accutane and plan on getting fraxel done over the summer which would put me at about 6 months.

every dermatologist i've spoken to has said to wait a year before doing any type of laser/peel. i've been off of accutane for about 8 months now, (after a 5 month treatment) and i really think it would be a waste of money for you to do anything now. my skin looked the best about four months after i finished taking it. so you should wait and see your skin continue to improve just from the accutane before throwing money away.

I have 14 days left on accutane

how well did it work for you? does it help to fade red spots?

Worked as well as anything can possibly work. I did not have real bad acne or bad scars to begin with and wanted things to stay that way. I have had a total of three small pimples with no heads in them since going on accutane. It has dried my face out and my lips out really badly, but thats okay with me I keep moisturized. The redness faded in the first month with the help of hydroquinone in the acne free scar eraser. I would tell anyone with active acne on this board to get on accutane before they have anymore scars.