Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pure-harmony

courage needed to go to doctors

you obv don't have a acne prob then

check gallery. i had to goto a doc the other day, gotta another appointment on monday. i just went in and said im fed up with my acne, i need it sorted out etc etc etc.....

Guest charyan

why should you feel embarrased dude? hes your doctor, its his job to help! he cant tell anyone as its against the law, and he hears way worse things as stated above, trust me he/she is not going to think any less of you or make you feel uncomfortable, he will try and help you.

I used to find it hard to go to the doctors about acne as well.... but it doesnt bother me anymore, the nurse/doctor whoever i see is always really nice about it :)

you really need to get over that if ur too shy to even talk to ur doctor. I trust all medical professionals u should hear the crazy s I've told my pediatrician and therapist.

Theyre not your friends ya know

and matt has to start wearing tshirts

Yeah, people definitely have way more embarrassing problems. I'm sure he can probably see the acne anyway, so it's not news to him. They see STDs, rectal issues (such as hemmorhoids), yeast infections, guys with undescended testicles, guys that can't get an erection, etc. The doctor views this as work and doesn't think anything of it.

Acne is so common anyway, they'll be getting a teenager every month complaining about skin- they are trained to treat it, so take advantage :)

I know what you mean. It's like, if you go you REALLY do have acne that can't be treated with the drugstore brand face wash. And sitting in the waiting room! I was almost in pain the first time I went. I remember sitting there side glacing at the other people in the room to make sure they were't looking at me. My being there was like announcing "HEY I HAVE ACNE!" Heck, I didn't even want to WALK into the building.

Not so cool.

Now, years and prescriptions later I am counting down the days until I can go back. (Tomorrrooooow!) And the pharmasist knows me by name (He took accutane too. We're tight, lol. He asks me how it's going and tells me that he'll have my two week supply in stock.).

Dermatologists aren't scary anymore. I like them. They are my way to get what I want. I want clear skin. Man, I almost wish I could have my own personal one who would follow me around everyday. Then I wouldn't have to wait. They'd wag their finger at me "Stop picking Lindsay!" "Don't touch!" "The itching is healing!" And when I needed it they can whip out those wonderful cortisone (sp?) injections. And reassure me that all of this will go away soon enough. And I'd get an endless supply of the little sample things! That would be cool.

Many thanx to everyone who's replied. I'm going to be really brave and make an appointment. I've got a feeling my acne's hormonal. As when i get my period i'm clearer than the other 3weeks. Sorry guys, hope you don't mind my openess.lol

What over the counter creams and facial washes, do most people find effective? I'm currently using freederm gel. But im only so so happy with it. My skin goes over dry quickly, so I can't use anything to harsh. at least with freederm, my skin doesn't go too dry.

i dont believe my acne is severe enough for a derm visit althogh it has crossed the severity boundary.

The first time i went to a derm office like 2 yrs ago i just told myself "im there for a rash" just to make myself feel better LOL.

i think its worse when you go and sit in the derms waiting room with 15 other people, you can tell whos there for acne. that said we are the lucky ones, who are going to a doctor for superficial things.

The 1st few times I went to a doc I wasn't worried about him, it was about the other people there like the receptionist who you have to explain why your there with the crowd of people in the general area. They just don't feel your agony standing there explaining how long you've had it, where it is, how bad it is, if it hurts, blah blah blah with people around (military hospital at least).

This was a few years ago, they gave me Retin-A, made me use it for about 3 months and it wasn't helping all that much and the red/irritated skin was too much. I stopped going when they said Accutane was not allowed for some reason and I just needed to keep on with Retin-A.