Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MultiMia

Is cleansing and diet change really the way to go??

Ok, as some of you might know I havent been using a lot of junk on my face for awhile now and I was getting good results.That all ended two days ago.Not only do I have 3 new whiteheads, I have 2 cysts on my chin, and 2 painful red (maybe their cysts too, I dont know) zits on the bridge of my nose and my cheek.

I dont get it! Im so frustrated with all of this and nobody understands. My sister thinks its funny b/c she had horrible skin growing up while I had great skin and she just laughs and says that 'Im getting mine' now. What is that??

Anyway Ive been reading a lot about cleansing and changing your diet to cure acne. Some of it seems like really good information but then I wonder about things. Like if diet is really the cause then why arent more people walking around with acne? Yea, I know food effects everyone differently but damn. I know people who are stressed out like crazy, have horrible sleeping patterns, and havent seen a vegetable or fruit in weeks,yet their skin looks great. All of these things are factors for acne, according to these websites Ive gone too, so why me, why us?

Also I dont know if I buy all this acne, diet connection stuff b/c they say that you have to eat this way for the rest of your life. Im not lazy, especially when I want something but come on. I already dont eat fast food, drink soda or eat meat (that has nothing to do with my skin, I just dont really like meat.)

I just dont know what to do anymore. Does anyone have any advice on the whole cleansing/diet thing? Just about anything encouraging would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Honestly, i hear you, my dear....its crazy!! Its unfair..a conspiracy even!! I made a similar topic ranting about why i cant eat my shrimp, spicy food and drink my liquor in peace without having horrendous, painful annoying, itchy breakouts the next day! The fact is that it is "better for you" if you eat healthy because it all has to do with the liver and toxins...bad foods (refined sugar, meats, food that can cause allergic reactions such as shrimp) create more toxins in your body and make it hard for your liver to cleanse your system from it...so the bad stuff is released unto our skin as acne (also hormonal toxins in our body...im not sure if food affects hormones though....this is what i heard from medical doctors and on online health forums....and drink lots of water...it helps to cleanse our system from toxins...its so DAMN hard to do though...i mean realistically....im studying...in first year university..i barely have time or energy to eat let alone eat healthy...lemme just eat what i want!!?? it really sucks...because if we dont sacrifice sumthin then we dont stand a good chance of getting better results with clear skin or any treatment we try....check out my regime...try the vitamins (antioxidant) and try and eat more fruits and vegetables...drink lotsa water and u should see improvment....good luck and i wish u the best in your acne struggle...

Thank you for your response. And youre right. My problem is carbs, its usually bread, cake, cupcakes, any kind of snack cakes,lol...you get the picture. Ive cut back a lot b/c I know that I have a problem when it comes to certain foods. I cant give myself a little bit b/c I'll just eat the whole box. What I do now is buy the snack sizes and share with my sister. I guess I should just completely cut that junk out. I already drink a lot of water so Im good there. So now Im just gonna try to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet.

I know I keep putting the blame on someone else but Ive gotta say this, when you live with people who eat crap its really hard to eat well. LoL But Im gonna try my best and not just for the sake of my acne going away but just to feel better and be healthy. Im not gonna do the whole cleansing/diet overhaul though, at least not yet. Youre right, doing these few things should make a difference. I'll look into taking a supplement also. I dont think it could hurt.

Thanks again.

Wow, I just realized something. Over the weekend my friend had a 'girls night in' party and she made a lot of food including,chicken noodle soup and split pea soup. So I decided to go for the split pea b/c I dont eat chicken. I soon found out that the split pea had pork in it. I wonder if that has anything to do with why Im breaking out again. I wonder. I mean I havent had pork in over four years. Ive only been a veg. for like 2 years but my brother in law is Muslim so he doesnt eat pork and doesn want it in the house,(i live with them) so I just dont eat it. That would be crazy if thats what did it.

dont ask me why but for 3 months i ate MEGA healthy (hardly any sugar, loads of veg, no dairy, no wheat) and my skin went really really bad.

new years resoltuion was to stop worrying about diet and eat what i want. in past 3 weeks only one zit and my skin looks way better

I in now way believe that what works for one person will work for anyone else but when you hear a hopeful story it makes you think that it might work for you also. I dont think any of us on this site can say that something will not work at all for someone. We can tell what our experiences have been and supply some evidence to support our opinion.

The whole time that I had been clear I wasnt worrying about my skin and then all of a sudden I have this horrible break out. So really I wasnt obsessing until after I had all these bumps on my face. Though I do see your point and I have been trying not to look in the mirror and analyze my face.

This is just incredibly frustrating.

dont ask me why but for 3 months i ate MEGA healthy (hardly any sugar, loads of veg, no dairy, no wheat) and my skin went really really bad.

new years resoltuion was to stop worrying about diet and eat what i want. in past 3 weeks only one zit and my skin looks way better

I too tried the healthy route for almost a year but saw no results, and if anything it made my acne worse. All the stress of worrying about what you eat far outweighs the benefits for most people, in my opinion.

I too tried the healthy route for almost a year but saw no results, and if anything it made my acne worse. All the stress of worrying about what you eat far outweighs the benefits for most people, in my opinion.

totally agree with you here.