Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you want to know what Glycolic Acid is there are many posts in this forum on the 1st page about glycolic acid.

Here is a link that could help

http://acneelimination.com/options/aha.html

*After reading the article describing "The Acne Cure" regimen, I think it sounds legit and a lot of people follow similar regimens with good results. I have suffered with bad acne that would not go away for about 6 years now and what has really cleared me in a month (and still is) is using Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid and exfoliating with a gentle but effective facial brush when cleansing. I have never read this book but since my current regimen is similar in principle to this one and includes the same "Acids" - I don't use Benzoyl Peroxide - I think it could really work. Since they have basically printed the regimen already, you could just follow what he says and see if it works without buying the book.

The doctor does not specify the brands, just the main ingredients to look for in products that can be found in any drugstore and how to use them. Alpha Hydrox makes good Glycolic Acid products. Neutragena, Murad and other companies make Salicylic Acid cleansers. Benzoyl Peroxide can be purchased on this website in a big tube or in any grocery store and drugstore.

I think the point of this regimen is to use certain products together for optimum results which works when done correctly.

I use GA to improve skin tone and texture. I've never seen an improvement in acne from it. Also, that guy is just a plastic surgeon so I don't see how he would know any more about acne than anyone else who educates themselves about it. His cure is quite common, maybe a little harsh for sensitive skin, but nothing worth writing a book about.

neutrogena healthy skin face lotion has 8% glycolic acid. good reviews too on makeupally. I think its best to get the sensitive skin lotion

Hiya, first post here but I've been visiting for a few weeks now, great site. Anyway, I bought that book a while ago, read it in about 5 mins and passed it on. As already said, all you need to know is written in that blurb. It does confuse me a bit though as I always thought (and I could be wrong) that salicylic acid cleans the inside of your pores while glycolic acid cleans the outside, the surface. Also I think these acids are supposed to be left on at least 1/2 hr to exfoliate properly or at best, all day/night. I use both, leave on 2% salicylic acid during the day and glycolic about 4 nights a week. Good stuff if you get the right ones for your skin.

neutrogena healthy skin face lotion has 8% glycolic acid. good reviews too on makeupally. I think its best to get the sensitive skin lotion

I tried the with and without spf formulas and found both to be too greasy, plus they had a gross sour smell. Right now I'm using one by avon. It's supposed to be a "peel" but it's only 10% so I use it most nights.

I pretty much follow that regimen (listed in the acne cure book) with several additional products. The GA I use is the oil-free Alpha Hydrox 10% Glycolic lotion.

I used a gel that combined glycolic and salicylic acid to treat my acne for awhile. It was a spa product ... no brand name.

At first, my skin wasn't used to it and I kept getting nasty dry red patches that looked worse than the acne.

Then it worked for awhile.

Then my skin got TOO used to it (or something) and it was no longer effective.

All in all ... not sure it was worth all the pain. If you do decide to use a GA/SA combo, just be really careful with it, especially in the beginning, because the burns can be ugly.

Also, glycolic acid can bleach your eyebrows ... I tried to be careful with it, but kept having to have my eyebrows dyed back to brunette!

Q

I agree, you should be very careful. In fact, I'd probably just do one or the other for a couple of weeks to see how your skin copes/ adjusts then add the other once every few days.

I use GA to improve skin tone and texture. I've never seen an improvement in acne from it. Also, that guy is just a plastic surgeon so I don't see how he would know any more about acne than anyone else who educates themselves about it. His cure is quite common, maybe a little harsh for sensitive skin, but nothing worth writing a book about.

I agree. He writes it so simple and eloquently.

What works for the goose does not work for the gander.

lol