Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LMG

Milk of magnesia

My mother said that when she was pregnant with me that some lady in the hospital suggested drinking a spoonfull of milk of magniesia to help her acne. She did so and she said it cleared her up and she is trying to get me to drink some.....anyone ever heard of drinking milk of magnesia to clear up acne ?

isn't it a laxative? maybe it clears out your system or something. people on this site have talked about using milk of magnesia as a face masque or as a makeup primer, but i havent tried either since i'm on accutane and dont really have oily skin anymore. i'd say it's worth a try but probably not for long term use since using laxatives regularly can cause dependency.

Yes it's a laxative. She told me to take it for a week to clean out my system. :confused:

It might help your skin if you don't already have like 2 or more bowel movements a day... but it's a very temporary "solution". Also, taking magnesium alone isn't great because it will distort your calcium/magnesium ratio. You need about twice as much calcium as you do magnesium. Taking a cal/mag supplement with those ideal proportions won't give you the laxative effect.

If you don't have 2 or more BMs daily, then you should probably alter your diet to become more "regular", and that will probably help your skin.

That's funny that I never thought to drink it to help acne. I actually apply a very light layer on my skin before I put on my makeup to help control oiliness. We probably all hold the cures in some mundane item in our pantries and just don't know it yet.

That's funny that I never thought to drink it to help acne. I actually apply a very light layer on my skin before I put on my makeup to help control oiliness. We probably all hold the cures in some mundane item in our pantries and just don't know it yet.

lol.... I wouldn't doubt that. All the expensive department store products I tried for acne and good ol' apple cider vinegar worked best for me ;)