Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's gone on it? which ones are effective? How long did it take you to clear up?

Has anyone gone on Yasmin?

I was on marvelon 28 for the longest time. And my acne was liminted to one or two pimples a month.

After my last 2 kids, I haven't been on any, and I got severe cystic acne. I didn't try marvelon again, and ended up on accutane. But before 'tane, I did try tetra and Alesse BCP. I think my skin actually got worse.

I started using Diane 35 about 1 month before tane, and it didn't help at all. Now 5 months post tane, and I am on spiro cause my skin is oily again, even though I am on Diane 35. But it might have been the topicals I used that caused the oil.

I dunno, I hope that helped a bit. But in my opinion, I think marvelon might have been what kept me clear for so long.

Dianette (as its UK name) has kept me reasonable clear. Its not perfect but has improved matters hugely.

I was on Diane 35 for a few months - but have since switched to Accutane as my acne got much much much worse on Diane. The bonuses for the OCP are that it does reduce oil production (at least in my case) and makes your periods a lot more pleasant. Also, oral contraceptive pills in general have many many many benefits including reducing your risk for all sorts of cancers (endometrial, ovarian, to name a few) as if controls estrogen surges that would normally occur in your cycle. So if it clears your acne - bonus. Didn't work for me though.

hmmm... from what you ladies have said, I doubt I'll go on Diane.

Did anyone think that it was worth it to go on the pill?

i only noticed negligable differences in my skin, tho it did seem to be more constant thought the month.

it's totally worth it for all its other benefits though.

I have been on Diane for about 5 months now and there is a slight improvement. It took a while, for the first 2 or 3 months my face continued to breakout in these really big pimples. But there's a lot less now and they are a lot smaller. It's mainly marks left on my face now... I think it's different with everyone.... think it's worth a shot.

i only noticed negligable differences in my skin, tho it did seem to be more constant thought the month.

it's totally worth it for all its other benefits though.

haha, unfortunately, I don't really care about the other benefits. :S Only the skin part.

Did anyone gain weight when they were on the pill? I don't want to gain weight :|

im on week two of yasmin, it could be all in my mind but my skin has seemed better. my boobs seem bigger too but that could be all in my mind too! haha, umm i know that yasmin doesnt cause water retention so you dont have to worry about weight gain either. i would suggest it, i haven't really gotten any side effects from it either (mood swings etc)

hahaha yeah. I heard yasmin makes your boobs bigger! It's the one that seems to help the skin the most... from what I've heard. hmmmmmmmmm

see the thing with weight gain is....you can only gain weight if you eat more than your body needs. people like to blame weight gain on all kinds of things saying "oh, it's out of my control" or "this MADE me gain weight" when it's their own damn fault if they eat like they'll never see food again and then wonder why they gain weight!

i think my boobs have gotten a little fuller looking since i've been on yasmin, like i'm the same size but i actually have some cleavage.

haha, nice. I want bigger boobs. ok, I'm going to talk to my doctor about yasmin I guess. Anyone had any bad experiences with it?

see the thing with weight gain is....you can only gain weight if you eat more than your body needs.

With BC pills you can also gain weight due to water retention. Although that doesn't happen with Yasmin, it is a common side effect of other pills and has nothing to do with how much you are eating.

I've been on Dianette for 9 months and definitely noticed that I didn't get pre-menstrual breakouts like I used to. My skin has definitely improved too, although I don't think it cures oiliness as well as it claims too. There's been no side-effects so I'd recommend it

I'll throw in a different viewpoint - my doctor suggested that I go on the pill when I saw him for my acne over the summer, but because me period was very late at the time (due to moving related stress), I ended up having the time to think about it and I chose not to. My reasoning was that I didn't want to further mess with my hormones. I don't want children, but if I had to get off the pill for any reason, I figured that even if the pill cleared me, once I got off, the acne would just come back, perhaps even worse than before. I didn't want to take that chance. To take the pill for clear skin and then a few years down the line get slammed by acne again. That's if the pill didn't cause my acne to worsen in the first place.

I just started ortho-tricyclen a couple of months ago. It is the pill most often described for acne. It does help my acne during the three weeks of hormone pills, but during the placebo week my face freaks out. I just posted about going to the dermo for prescription help during that week.

When I began the pill, I was nauseated for a couple of days, but I began taking the pill with dinner, and I've been perfect. It hasn't made me feel any different, and I haven't gained any weight, so I've been overall pleased, except for pimples during the placebo week!

I'll throw in a different viewpoint - my doctor suggested that I go on the pill when I saw him for my acne over the summer, but because me period was very late at the time (due to moving related stress), I ended up having the time to think about it and I chose not to. My reasoning was that I didn't want to further mess with my hormones. I don't want children, but if I had to get off the pill for any reason, I figured that even if the pill cleared me, once I got off, the acne would just come back, perhaps even worse than before. I didn't want to take that chance. To take the pill for clear skin and then a few years down the line get slammed by acne again. That's if the pill didn't cause my acne to worsen in the first place.

hah yeah, that's what I'm worried about too. When I go off it... I don't want some major acne breakouts!!!

haha, nice. I want bigger boobs. ok, I'm going to talk to my doctor about yasmin I guess. Anyone had any bad experiences with it?

Hey,

I've been on Yasmin for about 2 months now. I had switched to Yasmin from Alesse cause the Alesse gave me HUGE painful cystic acne. So during the first month of Yasmin my acne was weird, as it was trying to rebalance. I found that while the big cysts went away, the Yasmin gave me a lot of plain big pimples, these have disappeard now, and my skin is looking a LOT better. My chest acne is pretty much gone, back acne is a lot less and my face ony has a few now. I think its worth going on Yasmin, just be prepared for your face to break out the first month. I think this has to do with your body becoming adjusted to the hormones in the pill. Hope that helps :D

Hey,

I've been on Yasmin for about 2 months now. I had switched to Yasmin from Alesse cause the Alesse gave me HUGE painful cystic acne. So during the first month of Yasmin my acne was weird, as it was trying to rebalance. I found that while the big cysts went away, the Yasmin gave me a lot of plain big pimples, these have disappeard now, and my skin is looking a LOT better. My chest acne is pretty much gone, back acne is a lot less and my face ony has a few now. I think its worth going on Yasmin, just be prepared for your face to break out the first month. I think this has to do with your body becoming adjusted to the hormones in the pill. Hope that helps :D

thanks! that helps :D That means... I haev to plan my time to take Yasmin. haha. I'll probably start sometime after Valentine's then...

Hi-I was on Yasmin for a year and it was absolutely great for my skin and my boobs were huge:). I became severely depressed and anxious while using it, so I had to stop using it. When I stopped using it, my skin went crazy. Luckily with the help of BP and Differin it is much better. However, I am one of those people who can't take BCP as it causes severe depression for me and my body become really overwhelmed with all the extra hormones. A lot of people love Yasmin, so it may be great for you but be careful of the depression and the issues you can have when getting off of BCP (initial break out)!

Me. It made me wake up at odd times in the middle of the night and vomit violently.

Diane 35 pill does help againt Acne with many woman :D I have many friends who use this pill and have a beautiful skin, the only BIIIIG problem is when you stop...for example when you want to become pregnant ...you get all your acne back eventhough you did use this pill for 18 years and are 32.... :confused: But incase you'r not thinking of becoming pregnant and acne is a real problem for you...go for it and you will smile everyday 99% guarenteed :D

My ob/gy warned me that on Yasmin, my skin will get worse before it gets better and oh my, it DID get worse. First time in 2 years, I got painful pimples on exact spots where they used to appear and I aslo got little ones in odd places like right below my ear. To top it off, it seems to have brought on an annoying headache that doesn't go away.

It took good 3 months to settle in but now, my skin is doing much better than how I was on other BCP or without BCP. I don't know what caused the initial breakout...Maybe Yasmin did something to my system that brought out the bacteria out to the surface? I still have some red marks from that espisode.

I'd suggest that you apply topicals to keep the initial breakouts under contorol before they start.

ive been on alesse for a week and im already scared because everyone says that it made them get cystic acne. its weird that it says its for treatment of acne but seems to help no one. im seriously depressed now.

ive been on alesse for a week and im already scared because everyone says that it made them get cystic acne. its weird that it says its for treatment of acne but seems to help no one. im seriously depressed now.

Keep in mind that people who find a successful treatment generally don't continue to hang out on acne boards. So stay positive, it might work for you, and if it doesn't, try some other brands. Everyone reacts differently to the various brands of BC and something that doesn't work for someone else can still work for you - and vice versa.