Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bangersNmash

Mineral Makeup Breakout

:( I'm really REALLY annoyed to high hell here. I ordered some mineral makeup after reading so much praise on it. I ordered it off a UK website, www.pureminerals.co.uk and I've been applying it correctly with the kabuki brush and everything. It looks so great and makes my skin look wonderful, the colour is also perfect, its just SO much better than most powder or liquid foundations. I was in love with it but I'm certain that it's breaking me out. Since I've been using it, despite the wonderful look it gives me, it always always brings lots of little red bits of skin and LOADS of red pimples.

The Ingredients : cI 77891 (titanium dioxide), [+/-iron oxides, mica (including serecite), zinc oxide, ultramarines]

I'm so gutted as I was getting a wonderful look with this but can't afford to keep breaking out due to it, I don't think it's a reaction to mica because It's in several liquid foundations I have used and I don't usually break out with them (Biotherm, clinique) However I don't like the look they give me :(

Sorry for the moan ladies! (and gentlemen) But can anyone please give me some advice and info on what could be good for me lookswise and skinwise and why I miht be breaking out so badly from this! Much appreciated. OxO. :wub:

Not all minerals are the same. Some may break you out while others may not. They are not all created equally. I've never heard of the minerals you bought, so I cant tell you anything about them. I just started using "Pure Luxe" because my "Everyday" minerals were breaking me out, I dont break out with Pure Luxe. Did you order samples first? I suggest you only order samples until you know for sure whether you're going to break out. This way you're not out a lot of money and have a full product you cant use. Plus, it's a lot cheaper.

:angel: Thanks for the reply Jess. I've been browsing around some more mineral brand sites and most of the ingredients are basically the same...does this most minerals will break me out or is it just something to do with the quality of the minerals or what? :think:

Guest Fearless*Bunny

Mica breaks some people out. Try a mica free mineral makeup.

They are all a little bit different. Some people have pore clogging problems from TiO2, so finding a MMU with LESS of it in there might be a good start -- ie something with more mica (which also causes problems for some but by no means all or even most) or more zinc. MMU's are totally YMMV, so you do have to just keep trying a few brands with different formulations

:wub::clap: Thank you all so much for the replies! I really want to find a UK based company or website so I can get samples shipped asap as US sites usually take too long and I can't afford to wait. :lol2: I know I know, I've never had patience. Anyone know of a UK site with good, pure brands for sale? I'm desperate :redface:

Here are some suggestions on other mineral makeups to try. They all offer samples. I have tried all of them and they have not broken me out, so good luck! These are all US based companies though.

www.aromaleigh.com

www.larenim.com

www.melangecosmetics.com

Jane Iredale is another good one and you can get samples of it on www.skin-etc.com. The Jane Iredale website to get a good description of the products (but you can't purchase them on it) is www.janeiredale.com.

Hope this helps!!!

Oops! I just read that you want UK based. Well, maybe this will help someone else!

i bet if you called the company and told them you're dissatisfied with their product they'll refund your money and try to remedy the situation, maybe give you a different product of theirs to try.

Guest been13years

I broke out from Bare Escentuals, which is like the Proactiv of mineral makeups so no surprises there. For me, I think the buffing action required for a smooth finish is what clogged my pores up and gave me the little bumps. I think you just have to shop around and not buff so hard.

Guest funkychicken

:wub::clap: Thank you all so much for the replies! I really want to find a UK based company or website so I can get samples shipped asap as US sites usually take too long and I can't afford to wait. :lol2: I know I know, I've never had patience. Anyone know of a UK site with good, pure brands for sale? I'm desperate :redface:

www.lilylolo.co.uk

samples are 99p each and postage is usually less than £1, you need a paypal account to pay.

They contain mica though.

Eyeshadows are good - samples are 29p each. Blusher samples are 49p.

Also you could try eBay.co.uk and type in 'mineral foundation' and see what you get.

Just out of curiosity....Did you guys ever wonder if it's the specific ingredients in the mineral makeup (TiO2, mica, ect) or the application that's causing you to break out. Some of the brushes can be irritating (they also harbor lovely little microbes), and the ingredients themselves may not actually be comedogenic, but the way their applied can cause irritation.

That's an intersting possibility. After the Hibiclens frenzy this summer/fall I got some and didn't like it, so now I use it to clean my brushes lol. I've never broken out from MMU, so maybe that's what it is? Also on that note, I always broke out after an application of Mary Kay foundation, but perhaps it's because they had me apply using upward strokes (they are big on their upward strokes, but I've always gone across or down, never up), I never liked it bc I felt like I was just shoving it deeper into my pores. Dunno, intersting possibility though!

i have to agree with the application process of mineral makeup. I use and adore Bare Escentuals for over a year, but i did notice that if i dont clean my brushes properly at least once a week, my face doesnt care for that too much. Also, i find that if i try to apply my makeup too quickly, i irritate my skin. Sometimes i can feel the little bristles gapping my skin, it hurts like hell... also, if you use makeup daily, such as a person like myself, you have to keep in mind that you do need to change your makeup brushes at least every 6 months. it keeps bacteria from forming on your brushes and you get the full benefits of fresh makeup applications... just a suggestion...

once again , dont beleve anything you read , nothing in makeup is mineral

I agree, kinda. Well, actually the titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, mica, and iron oxides, are technially classified as minerals (as in they are purified forms of inorganic materials that naturally occur in the earth). They are processed and usually micronized (a mechanical process). They are the same pigments that are used in other forms of makeup, even liquid nasty makeup. It's funny how all the mineral makeup companies calim that their makeup is "talc free." Talc is a mineral too.....

There isn't anything that "pure" about mineral makeup. It's just an interesting marketing story.....

Guest Poker-Butt

whatever it is, it looks good on ur skin...and thats fo sho!

Mica can break out some people but Titanium Dioxide can too in high amounts. This formula has more TO than ZO. You may want one that contains more ZO than TO. Whatever is the higher amount will be listed first.

Guest funkychicken

the greater the titanium dioxide, the greater the coverage.