Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I looked on the acne.org website and it has this one under a topical solution, but my doctor has prescribed me the oral one. He's put me at 500mg for twice a day, and I am slightly worried about whether I am suitable for the drug, because apparently it can cause some stomach pains (which this arse of a doctor failed to explain to me...) and I have no idea of any side effects which I should have. I looked it up just now and it says I might get a skin rash which is NOT what I want rofl.

I'm also wondering how much it works :| He was an arse of a doctor and I don't like him, so I was kind of in a hurry to leave (My normal doctor was unavailable...) and he refered me to a dermatologist which on the NHS will take about a month to get through lol. But he didn't want to, I could see it in his eyes. Barstard. ANyhooo, the tablets didn't come with one of those leafletty things and I just wanted to come home so I didn't ask the pharmacists either. I am going to go to boots tommorow and ask them about it and get them to print off a sheet. I'll take one tonight, at 6:45 and then another one in the morning when I get up (6:45) though it just means I'll have to wake up to take a pill on some days. lol.

BASICALLY I'm asking if anybody has tried it and what their experiences were...

Hey what you should do is take it at night, so your body gets used to it. The possible side effects shouldnt last long if you develop them

I had erythromycin in a gel the doctor prescribed me, Benzamycin was the gel (5% BP and 3% Erythromycin) to be honest, the gels containing anti biotics work better than just plain BP.

Eat FOOD WITH IT.

I used to take Erythromycin since i was litle for flus or colds.. My mom always had some of it.. It causes break outs on your skin for the first few weeks too..

Erythromycin orally will NOT cause an INitial breakout that is 100 % false,MAYBE the topical even that one usually doesn't cause initial breakouts (I would go with benzamycin/benzaclin) than just "Erythromycin gel" by itself but since the Orignal poster asked about the ORAL one,it won't make you break out if you fo get a rash it could be on your arms or legs and such nothing severe,you can get thew runs pretty bad on Erythromycin oral,it does cause stomach upset alot.. but NOT to everyone it's a decent antibiotic for moderate acne,if it's more than moderate it will do no good.Reading into all the side effects will just make you go insane. Give it a few weeks...see if ypu get any results they say wait 6 weeks butr if you don't see it getting any better after 4 weeks.. probably not the antibiotic for you...minocycline is much better and strong but comes with side effects also.

Good luck,

Rich

I looked on the acne.org website and it has this one under a topical solution, but my doctor has prescribed me the oral one. ...

I'm also wondering how much it works :|

Did this doctor give you ONLY the erythro, or are you using it in conjunction with a topical of some kind -- a topical retinoid, or BP, or another antibiotic maybe?

If this guy gave you nothing oral antibiotics to fight your acne, you should change doctors immediately. Talk about an idiotic short-term solution.

Oral antibiotics are generally prescribed to help you through the first few months of a new acne treatment, because a lot of treatments cause initial breakouts and the drugs can help keep those in check. Eventually the treatment kicks in (or you have to try a new one) but one way or another, the antibiotics go by the wayside. As they should. You can't stay on oral antibiotics long-term, it's not good for your body and you run the risk of building up a resistance to them, and that ain't good.

So that's my 2 cents ...

Q