Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stephen*

what is the BEST oral acne treatment EXCEPT for Accutane?

Hey what is the best oral antibiotic? I cant take Accutane as my family have a history of liver and kidney disease, therefor my doc said going to a derm would be pointless.

I currently use:

Pears Soap twice a day(morning and before bed to wash face)

Panoxyl 2.5% BP Gel

Clean and Clear Morning glow moisturiser(does the job but makes face go a bit red)

iv been on Dan's regimen since November, and only seen a reduction in outbreaks, but after the acne has disappeared from BP treament, i am left with dark red marks/scarring.

I dont pick/touch face at all

any ideas on good oral medicines to take and is there any topical treatments i can use to get rid of scarring?

Iv just ordered a free sample of Eucerin moisturiser from their website, hopefully get that soon:D

I live in the UK btw

Thanx

Guest been13years

If you're thinking about antibiotics, there are three generally prescribed for acne (think the names may be the same in the UK): minocycline, doxycycline, and tetracycline. I was on both tetracycline and minocycline- the latter proved very effective during a five month course, but the tetra gave me stomach aches and didn't do a thing for my skin.

Hope that helps.

cheers thankyou, iv been on tetracycline before under the name "oxytetracycline" didnt do much just gave me stomache cramps aswell if i drank/ate any dairy products. Iv also been on Lymecycline (brand name :Tetralysal 300) they didnt do anything.

Thanx i have a GP apointment on Wednesday, so ill ask him about Minocycline and Doxycycline.

Ill aslo ask him about scarring aswell, my friends use the same doctor and he got prescribed some thick cream to put on at night to help with scarring, and OMG u should see his face, clear as crystal.

Thanx.x