Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Saraph

Need diet advice.

Alright, I recently did a dangerous experiment to see if my diet was the cause of some of my acne. I decided that I would only drink water for a week, and eat virtually nothing. This of course, made me very weak and sleep a lot. But for some reason my acne did clear a lot. So I know my daily diet does have a huge affect on my appearance. I get mild acne on my back, chest, and facial area. My back is really the most clear, but I do tend to get a pimple every now and then. I was wondering if some of the things I do daily really affect my acne, so I've decided to come on here and ask so I don't have to weed through all the things I eat, because that would take months of experimenting.

So, this is what I do/intake daily:

- Smoking (To quit ciggarettes I've taken up Black & Milds to cut out nicotine, been working great for a month)

- Juice (Grape, Apple, Cranberry, Combo's)

- Milk (I love chocolate milk)

- Bread

- Water (I know this is good for me, just thought I'd list it anyways)

- TV Dinners (Oh yea, these are bad, but I normally don't have anything else to eat)

- Coffee (Lot's of coffee, usually 6-7 cups a day, I put cream and sugar in it)

- Snacks (Such as potato chips, beef jerky, candy)

- Tea (Earl Grey or Chai)

- Soda (From Root Beer to Diet Pepsi)

- Shower (I take LONG hot showers, I sometimes sit in the shower from 30-50 minutes daily)

Now a lot of these I don't do/take/drink every day such as Soda, Snacks, Juice, Tea, or Bread. The rest is usual in my diet enough to make a big difference. I'd love to get rid of my mild acne for good. I'm starting classes this week and acne has been a major player in my life, it's damaged me both emotionally and physically enough for me to be a non-productive member of society. I've always said I want to try something different and I want to make a big difference in my lifestyle. I'm willing to do whatever is takes in order to put the past behind me. I'd like your suggestions so I can start a new chapter in my life.

- Smoking (To quit ciggarettes I've taken up Black & Milds to cut out nicotine, been working great for a month)

- Bread

- TV Dinners (Oh yea, these are bad, but I normally don't have anything else to eat)

- Shower (I take LONG hot showers, I sometimes sit in the shower from 30-50 minutes daily)

in my life.

Here's my advice:

Quit ALL sugar except for fruits. Don't drink bottled juice, unless it's unsweetened cranberry. Quit the chocolate milk, candy and soda.

Minimize the coffee, and when you drink tea, drink herbal or green tea and don't put sugar in it. Try to drink just water (or lemon water) and tea and get 1/2 your body weight in oz worth of water daily.

Quit all the snack foods - or get some organic corn chips to snack on.

Instead of TV dinners, eat vegetables, either as salad or steamed veggies dressed with olive oil, lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar) and sea salt. Sounds like you're not really into cooking? So you could eat simple stuff like eggs or get cans of beans (not baked beans w/sugar) for protein. Or make simple stirfries with meat or fish or tofu + veggies, onion and garlic. Get some spices like cayenne and cumin and some tamari soy sauce to throw in stirfries. Try to get some coconut oil to cook with - don't use cheap oils, as the're rancid and very bad for you.

Of course, quit smoking!

If you really do all this and it doesn't work, you may want to consider that it may be the dairy (milk) or the wheat (bread) that is breaking you out. Stick to the above recs and first cut out milk, but keep eating wheat for awhile. Then try it the other way around.

If you want recipe or meal ideas, feel free to ask.

Good luck.

- Bread

in my life.

Here's my advice:

Quit ALL sugar except for fruits. Don't drink bottled juice, unless it's unsweetened cranberry. Quit the chocolate milk, candy and soda.

Minimize the coffee, and when you drink tea, drink herbal or green tea and don't put sugar in it. Try to drink just water (or lemon water) and tea and get 1/2 your body weight in oz worth of water daily.

Instead of TV dinners, eat vegetables, either as salad or steamed veggies dressed with olive oil, lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar) and sea salt. Sounds like you're not really into cooking? So you could eat simple stuff like eggs or get cans of beans (not baked beans w/sugar) for protein. Or make simple stirfries with meat or fish or tofu + veggies, onion and garlic. Get some spices like cayenne and cumin and some tamari soy sauce to throw in stirfries. Try to get some coconut oil to cook with - don't use cheap oils, as the're rancid and very bad for you.

Of course, quit smoking!

If you really do all this and it doesn't work, you may want to consider that it may be the dairy (milk) or the wheat (bread) that is breaking you out. Stick to the above recs and first cut out milk, but keep eating wheat for awhile. Then try it the other way around.

Good luck.

agreed. bad diet = bad health = bad skin

- Bread

in my life.

Here's my advice:

Of course, quit smoking!

Good luck.

I agree with most of this post. As it stands, if diet is affecting your skin, you have about 10 different factors that may be culprits. The problem is that everyone has different food allergies/intolerances/sensitivities.

In general, I believe the three biggest groups to avoid are:

-Sugar (unless from fruits, vegetables etc.)

-Dairy

-Gluten (i.e. wheat, bread, pasta etc.)

It's not that these foods are "bad", (well, maybe sugar) it's that many many people may have differing levels of sensitivities to these foods that may aggravate acne. A lot of people may be intolerant to dairy and gluten and not even know it. There are even some estimates I remember reading, although I can't recall where, that as high as 30% of Amereicans have somne level of gluten intolerance. So, I would say that avoiding those three or is a good start to see if you indeed are sensitive to these foods because there are good odds that you could very well be.

ALso, for sugar and carbs in general, try eating low GI foods that won't spike insuin, which is a pretty common theory of a possible contributor. Google a GI list and check it out. Good luck.

/sensitivities.

In general, I believe the three biggest groups to avoid are:

-Sugar (unless from fruits, vegetables etc.)

-Dairy

-Gluten (i.e. wheat, bread, pasta etc.)

I told her to cut the sugar first because if that's all she needs to do, no sense in cutting all three at once because then you don't know which is the culprit. Then if that doesn't work, try the others. The more restrictive a diet is (esp. for someone that is used to eating whatever), the harder it is to stick with it.

I personally pay no attention to glycemic index. I just eat lots of vegetables and stick to whole foods.

nice.. im glad you`re able to change for the better and hopefully you`ll achieve it.

Some healthy foods include fish instead of tv/frozen dinners.. try foodnetwork.com for some ideas for meals because tv dinners wont be healthy in the long run. uhm drink lots of water and pee of course. Try to go to the bathroom (number 2) everyday because that will release toxins. If you`re constipated drink more water. lol. Rice.. bread.. whole grains if u`re eating white bread, switch..um eat plenty of whole fruits.. starting day by day with a banana or an apple.. oranges, cherries, tangerine, pears, etc... remember to eat yogurt its very good for you and its yummy.. yoplait is considered the best brand out there for yogurt...eat a lot of green vegetables.. basicly try to keep an eye out for food groups from the rainbow.. different colors are all very healthy. Oh and excerise as well to keep your health fitness balanced

Keep your determination strong!

I guess it all depends on the cause, I don't think diet itself is rarely a cause but perhaps doesn't help.

Some people can eat anything, at any time, in any quantity and never get a spot on their faces, therefore SOMETHING else must be wrong in our bodies.

Of course diet can help with whatever it is causing our acne, altering your diet can be dramatic in cases of candida and allergic reactions to stuff like wheat, but again not everybody is allergic to it.

When we spoke earlier you said you suspected candida, I'd recommend cutting out sugars, perhaps even fruit sugars as they're not much better for candida, cut out bread as it contains yeast (candida is a yeast infection). Take garlic and Coconut oil and perhaps threelac if it's within your budget.

Drink lots of water, try to cut out sugary drinks totally.

Feel free to ask questions :)

Alright, after much procrastination I'm cutting out bread and a lot of sugar for 2 weeks to see what happens. I just ate a cucumber salad, but I'm so jumpy as to what I can eat that I never thought to ask if salad dressing is ok? It's all the light/fat free italian and ranch dressing. I'm actually probably gonna live on salad for the next 2 weeks, well that and some sort of meat (suggestions?) and it would really be great to know if salad dressing is an ok choice. Thanks for your help!

Alright, after much procrastination I'm cutting out bread and a lot of sugar for 2 weeks to see what happens. I just ate a cucumber salad, but I'm so jumpy as to what I can eat that I never thought to ask if salad dressing is ok? It's all the light/fat free italian and ranch dressing. I'm actually probably gonna live on salad for the next 2 weeks, well that and some sort of meat (suggestions?) and it would really be great to know if salad dressing is an ok choice. Thanks for your help!

Depends on the salad dressing. The safest bet is to use olive oil and apple cider vinegar to dress your salads. Then you can add avocado or pumpkin seeds or whatever. If you want to go on a restrictive diet for a couple of weeks to see what happens, that's fine, but you shouldn't just do it because you don't know what else to eat. If you really want to change your diet, it needs to become a part of your life, so you need to LEARN how to eat well, so you aren't just depriving yourself. If you eat only salad and meat for a couple of weeks and nothing happens, are you going to assume that "diet has no effect on you?" Because it MAY take longer than 2 weeks to even see anything happen.

My advice would be to educate yourself about what a good diet is and as much as you can, begin to make changes. With the diet you listed above, I think your first goal should be ABSOLUTELY NO SUGAR. Try that for two weeks, eat a salad every day, and then some chicken or fish and some rice or something. Try to eat as little packaged food as possible. Good luck!

Hmm... most pre-made salad dressings are probably not good. I don't know what the light/fat-free ones are like, but normal ones are probably made with bad oils and have trans fats -- which you should avoid probably more than anything else! Sometimes a label will say 0 grams of trans fats even if it DOES have trans fats because they're allowed to do that if it's under a certain amount. Read the ingredients and avoid anything that has any hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils and canola oil. You can make your own dressings with olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice.

check out this site...http://www.absoluteacneinfo.com/

It basically says when you eat a unhealthy diet consisting of refined/processed food your body needs to get rid of toxins as these chemicals are NOT NATURAL for your body. Your body did not EVOLVE to consume these foods. So different people have different ways to deal with the TOXINS... some peopler stores the toxins as fat and for you, your body eliminates the toxins from your pores/face and thats why you get acne. Your acne got better after your fast because your body was given time to rest from all the digesting it usually does. This also gave your body time to regenerate itself naturally. Think of animals out in the wild when they get sick the first thing they do is fast...

I think changing your diet will really help your health which has a direct correlation with acne. DEFINETLY cut out Diet soda as it has aspartame in it and make many people sick. Just google Aspartame. Next you can cut out all processed foods and grains... I know many people don't have the will power to do this but it will help your overall health. So what can you eat? as mentioned in previous posts eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, and meat preferbally all organic. Basically eat no man made foods as these are not what our bodys after MILLIONS of years of evolution has adapted to eat.

I already posted this, but I have an experience similar to yours. I didn't go quite so far as to not eat anything for a week, though. But I did stop eating dairy, grain products, beans of any kind, and anything with sugar or high fructose corn syrup. For two weeks I've been eating only fresh fruit, fresh or frozen vegetables, almonds, chicken, and pork. My skin is almost entirely clear. I'm still getting a few of those superficial pimples that go away within a day that seemed to be caused by surface oil. I'm still drinking coffee and I suspect there's a correlation between superficial pimples and coffee because they seem to come the next morning after I drink coffee. But I haven't gotten any of those deeper pimples that take a week or more to develop and then heal.

I don't know what it is, though. The foods I'm eating aren't processed, so it could be that I've just cut out all the manufactured chemicals that are put in food. Or it could be a one of the food groups that I've elminated. Or it could be that I'm getting a lot more vitamins and phytochemicals like carotenes and flavonoids from all these fruits and vegetables. I'm going to wait awhile and keep eating this way to see if my skin stays clear, and if it does, I'll add foods back one at a time to see if I can figure out what it is.

I've been researching this diet for the past two days and I have to say, it's like hell on earth to a 22 year old who eat's nothing but junk food. I mean, I just quit smoking, and I've been having no nicotine cravings really so I'm pretty sure I can do this. One thing though is I get REALLY hungry, like I'm still in growth spirts or something, so I'd like to know what kind of foods I can just binge out on this diet. I'm pretty skinny (6'0" - 165 Pounds), so my metabolism is fairly high. Anything that will really fill me up, that's what I'm looking for. Also, is there any snacks besides rice cakes I can eat? I mean, I thought I was eating healthy by snacking on wheat thins, apparently I was way to wrong on that one. Thank you everyone for the advice, I love the feedback I'm getting.

I think the wheat thins are fine. Don't do too much too soon or else you'll may end up crashing and burning. The sugar is goo denough for now and see how much of a difference it makes, then you can try something else later on.

Vegetables and fruits, I would say, are your best bet as far as snacks. Popcorn is also great. If possible, get organic but, if not, go for the 94% fat free kind. An entire bag will only be about 250 calories and maybe 4-5 grams of fat with anywhere from 12-18 grams of fiber. It will fill you up, it's pretty cheap (Sam's club) and tastes good.

One more thing to maybe add to make up calories is adding a healthy oil such as flax, coconut, or olive oil. It can either take them straight or add them with other foods to add in calories to help fend off hunger. Coconut oil supposedly has many benefits such as fighting off Candida (which quite a few acne sufferers are believed to have an overgrowth of and have acheived improvement thrgouh use of coconut oil).

ALso, DON'T GO HUNGRY. If you let yourself get too hungry, that cupcake will look 10 times tastier than it would otherwise and you are more likely to crack. Also, drink plenty of water, especially if you are feeling hungry. Oftentimes people confuse thirst for hunger and eat when they are actually thirsty. Good luck.

Alright, so this is what I got at the supermarket:

Mixed Berries

Head of Lettuce

Cucumber

Coconut Oil

Wheat Thins

Water

Yogurt (Low Fat)

Rice Cakes

Gwapes (Got Any?)

Diet Green Tea

Carrots

So is that a good start? I'm hoping it is because THAT I can live off of, plus a multi-vitamin which I have. Also, can I use an artificial sweetener or splenda? Also, what kind of meat is good on this diet? Thanks for your help!

Hey your forgetting

YOU NEED TO EXCERCISE

Diet is not enough.

Juyst eat healthy dont be so paranoid. Eat what is genrealy healthy. Its not a ahrd concept.

I think the wheat thins are fine.

Um, no, wheat thins are not fine. They have transfats, as does just about every other cracker out there. If you want to eat healthy, you have to read labels and know what to look for and avoid. Avoid partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated ANYTHING, as well as high fructose corn syrup like the plague. Generally, anything with sugar, or "evaproated cane juice" should be avoided too. Check the yogurt. Pretty much any yogurt except for plain has added sugar. I usually buy plain yogurt and add applesauce (make sure this is unsweetened too) and cinnamon. You could also get some xylitol or stevia (available in baking sections at health food stores) and use these if you need to sweeten anything - like oatmeal or tea.

If you want filling snacks, I would suggest avocadoes or brazil nuts. IMO, rice cakes are kind of a waste as they don't have much nutritional value, but they shouldn't break you out.

Your list looks pretty good....make sure to get some protein, eat beans, fish, meat.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Hey your forgetting

YOU NEED TO EXCERCISE

Diet is not enough.

Juyst eat healthy dont be so paranoid. Eat what is genrealy healthy. Its not a ahrd concept.

I agree. It's not some frollick around a paddock diet thing, just smart eating and exercise.

Alright, so this is what I got at the supermarket:

Mixed Berries

Head of Lettuce - Loose Leaf, Romaine, Bibb & (Greens such as spinach, collards, mustard)

Cucumber

Coconut Oil

Wheat Thins - No. Transfats and probably added sugar.

Water

Yogurt (Low Fat) - No. Has added sugar. You can buy plain unsweetened and than add your own fruits, nuts, seeds

Rice Cakes -Read the labels.

Gwapes (Got Any?) - Grapes?

Diet Green Tea - Regular or Decaffinated Green Tea. No Diet drinks.

Carrots

So is that a good start? I'm hoping it is because THAT I can live off of, plus a multi-vitamin which I have.

UM if this is what you are adding to your diet and is not the sole source of your nutritional input. Furthermore, that's not enough vegetables in there so you may want to look into more healing and anti-inflammatory types such as Artichoke, Asparagus, Greens, Spinach, Cruciferous (brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale), Eggplant, Squash, Celery, Leeks/Green Onions, Mushrooms, Olives, String/Green Beans, Sprouts, etc. Of course to add flavor variety to these vegetables and others use Fresh if possible Garlic, Parsley, Chives, Cilantro, Lemon, Lime, Salt, Pepper, Vinegars, Oils (White Tea, Grapeseed, EV Olive), Flavored Oils, Seasoning Blends (read ingredient labels), etc. To change the texture and taste of these veggies you can try them raw, boiled, baked, roasted, grilled, steamed, or sauteed. Example raw carrots are great to me but cooked carrots are horrid not to mention, I'm not a big fan of stringy raw celery but but boiled/baked it is so yummy. Oh and fresh raw broccoli is absolutely amazing! If you aren't certain how to pick veggies, its OK in my book to buy them (Organic) canned, frozen, pre-packaged & washed, or pick your own fresh. Each has their own tastes & textures and you may find you prefer a vegetable that's packaged a certain way or that's organic and if that's the only way you'll end up eating MORE veggies, then go for it!

Also, can I use an artificial sweetener or splenda?

NO artificial sweeteners, especially splenda/sucralose. If you want something sweet eat fresh, frozen, or dried fruit. Or try Xylitol, Stevia, or Vegetable Glycerin as your sweetners.

Also, what kind of meat is good on this diet?

Lean Meats some will say. Low Mercury Fish (Salmon, fresh tuna, mackeral), other seafood, chicken, pork, beef. I eat whatever, but some people do have issues with certain types of animal protein and it may be based on the animal or the way it was raised (commercial, fresh, natural, organic). Honestly though, buy the best quality food that you are able to and try not to worry about the rest unless you find it to be a problem.

Thanks for your help!

Wish you all the best :angel:

No, I will be adding meats and such. The yogurt I have has no added sugar, it's just a tub of yogurt, I got it to put the berries in. Unfortunately my mother, being a mom, said I can use splenda and crap and just threw it in. So no artificial sweeteners, got it. I can get my sugar from the berries and apples, oh and pineapples right? The rice cakes I bought were in the health food section, which is amazingly huge at the store I go to. Yes grapes, havent you seen the commercial "Got any gwapes? Got any staples?", it's funny, really. Thank you very much, that post was a great source of information!

Hmm, week 1.

I see mild improvement. I'm still getting some red spots, but this diet + BP is working. I hope it's just not a good couple of days. My old marks are fading faster than new marks can sprout up, does this mean my body is getting rid of the bad stuff? My pores are getting smaller as well, which is something new...

Just thought I'd give everyone an update!

P.S. I cheated last night, I had a Wawa chicken sub last night. Well, it was just cheese, chicken and wheat bread. I know, it's bad, but I was hungry!