Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sierra352

Couple problems with regimen

I decided to go back to the regimen after being on and off and very inconsistent with my routine. My acne is nowhere near as bad as it used to be a few years ago but I am sick of breaking out still.

I shave, with cetaphil gentle cleansing bar lather in a hot shower once a day. Wait 10 mins and appy ALOT of Dan's BP cream slowly but lightly rubbing it in. Then Moisturize a bit later.

My problems are:

-Can't get enough lather from bar of soap to fully cover my face in thick, soapy lather.

-After shower/shave, my face tightens up like crazy and is dry and irritated

-Around my mouth area i get dry, flaky skin even after moisturizing (Neutrogena oil-free Moisturizer)

-Shortly after applying the BP cream, my skin gets burned and turns red for a while.

The regimen works, for me if I use it once a day but there is alot of dryness and irritation especially after a shave.

Just wondering if any one can give me idea to help with these problems.

Yup, here's a post of mine from today:

Today, 08:55 AM

Post #1

Group: Veteran Members

Just to update, anyone who was having the same problem as me when switching from another 2.5% BP Gel, to Dan's BP Gel...even though you've been using BP on your face for quite some time, it's still best to start off light.

I make the mistake of applying the same amount of Dan's Gel as I used to for my old BP and got redness, irritation, etc.

I re-started last night, applying just a small amount of Dan's BP...I woke up a little dryer than normal, but had no irritation or major redness.

The new preservatives seem to be somewhat irritating, but not noticeable if you start off with a small amount.

I totally indulge in a hot shower everyday. I think its helpful to be sure and change the water temp. setting to lukewarm or even colder when washing and rinsing your face. If you don't change the temp. before so, the hot water can make your skin really dried out afterwards. I'm assuming you wash your face towards the end of your shower because you say that you apply BP 10 minutes after washing your face. So, in that regard.. I hear that rinsing your hair in cold water also helps keep it shiny!

I totally indulge in a hot shower everyday. I think its helpful to be sure and change the water temp. setting to lukewarm or even colder when washing and rinsing your face. If you don't change the temp. before so, the hot water can make your skin really dried out afterwards. I'm assuming you wash your face towards the end of your shower because you say that you apply BP 10 minutes after washing your face. So, in that regard.. I hear that rinsing your hair in cold water also helps keep it shiny!

I do wash my face off at the end of the shower, I get a nice lather worked up and turn up the temp to really, really hot so it steams up the shower. I lather up my face and let the steam and hot air circulate a bit for a minute or two ( I stand back from the water cause it will burn me) then I get out (turn the water to luke warm) and shave in front of a mirror, get back in, rinse off my face with cool/lukewarm shower water pat dry and then wait ten minutes.

I ever since I have been using the hot steam at the same time I lather up and shave, and rinse of with cool water after my face feels really clean, just right after when I get dressed my face just starts tightening up and its really uncomfortable sometimes. Which bar of soap should I be using cause I am using the Cetaphil gentle cleansing bar but I think this is what is drying me out a bit.

I think I should switch my soap to a different kind, one for dry, sensitive skin.

Ah, so you have the shave rinse thing down tip top! Maybe towel dry your face right afterwards (while you are still naked and the bathroom air is moist.. maybe I could have just said air being moist..?) and then apply the BP cream. I always moisterize while my face is just a little damp. Plus, I heard that moisterizing while your skin is damp helps absorb better..? If you think it is the soap.. I've always found biotherm products help keep my skin supple.. everyone is different as is repeated over and over..