Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Crisco,

I used Retin-A Micro for about 6 months a couple of years ago. It took about 4-6 weeks to really see results but after that my skin was very good. Thinking back, i hardly had any acne at all during that time (why on earth did i stop using it?!).

I do remember when i first started using it, i went to school and my mate asked me why my face was "all crusty" lol. That's how dry it made my skin!

If i were you i'd get yourself a good moisturiser (i'd recommend St Ives). Wash, then apply retin-a, then apply moisturiser, and stick to the same routine. I think if you're consistant with it you'll see better results and the redness/dryness will subside. If you keep chopping and changing the soap/moisturiser you're using then your face is constantly having to readjust and will probably be worse off for it.

Good luck.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone, you've all been a big help! I'll let everyone know how it goes :pray:

-Crisco

where do you get that? & Is it expensive??

-Crisco

I said in my response that you should be able to find them at any drugstore. The cleanser is $6 and the lotion is $9. Not terribly expensive.

where do you get that? & Is it expensive??

-Crisco

I said in my response that you should be able to find them at any drugstore. The cleanser is $6 and the lotion is $9. Not terribly expensive.

:redface: Excuuuuuse me. I missed that earlier. :) I've never seen it before & wasn't sure if you were in England or somewhere I'd never be able to get it :D Thanks for telling me again though :D

-Crisco

UPDATE:

Well, I just wanted to thank everyone again who helped me on this. I've been using my Retin-A Micro again for a few days now. I am such a tard!! I'm not a big pea eater so wasn't sure the size of a pea, any way I found me one & I had been using about the size of 3 peas :shifty: . Since I've been using the right amount my face looks a little flushed (which is cool cause I'm really pale anyway) but no redness, no peeling, no pain & what few zits I did have left after all my skin peeled off from my Over Dose are almost totally gone (you can tell they're really drying up fast). So thanks guys, I think if I had kept doing what I was doing I could have really burnt my face (it was bad).

I'm still taking my doxycycline twice a day, using the "pea" size amount of retin-a nightly, & using the clindagel in the mornings for my face.

In the shower I'm still using the Triaz for my bacne & it's been 3 weeks non stop for that & I have only 1 scabby thing left from an old zit & I think it's still there because it's where my bra rubs it.

Yippee!!! I'm starting to feel sooooo much better about my skin. Not out of the woods yet though so wish me luck..

P.S. Is there anything you can do to shrink large pores? I've noticed now that I can see my face better that on my cheeks around my nose area are really big pores (that's not cool) Can anyone help???

-Crisco

I'm glad it's working out for you....

Eventually the redness will start to lessen a little. You may notice every few days (for me it's every six days) that you get a little flakey around you mouth. I just gently exfoliate (wait at least a month), with a soft washcloth, or a non-medicated scrub, in the morning when this happens.

As far as your pores go, eventually they will start to look smaller, as more and more gunk comes out of them. Mine look a lot smaller now. I can only see them if I look really close.

Oh....and never try to pop a pimple on Retin-A. Let it happen on it's own. It thins your epidermis, so it's really easy to break the skin and leave a ghastly little wound that leaves behind a nasty red mark....

Oh, thanks Labgirl. I had no idea about it thinning the skin like that. I guess I just figured it stayed the same & just got rid of the crappy layer. No matter how bad it urks me though I'm keeping my hands off. Thanks!!!

-Crisco

I've been using Micro Retina for 2 years, and it has cleared me tons, but I still have mild-moderate ish acne, doctor soon for something new:D

Let me ask another question. My skin is super oily. It dried up a lot when I did my OverDose with the Retin-A, but now that my face is back to normal & I'm using the retin-a again it's even oilier (did I spell that right?) than it was before. I think maybe thats why this time I'm not peeling, or maybe like LabGirl said it only happens every so often. What I want to know is what I can do to get rid of the oil without making my face so dry that it's all crusty & peeling?

-Crisco

LabGirl can I ask how old you are? I was just wondering if you were around my age. I guess it would make me feel better to know someone my age was going through this & not someone in their teens (no offense teens) who will probably grow out of this :(

-Crisco

If it makes you feel any better, both of my parents still have bad skin well into their 40s, so I think it's safe to say I won't be growing out of anything.

And since getting clear while on RAM, I've gotten oilier facial skin, too. My derm prescribed for me a Rx called Xerac AC. It's pretty much alcohol and the chemical you'd find in antiperspirant. The alcohol absorbs any surface oil and the aluminum chloride (I think that's the chemical...I don't feel like getting up to go look right now) blocks the pores from producing anymore sweat or oil while it's on. It works pretty well, but it's not permanent. I sorta wish I were on a low dose of Accutane just for oil control, but the low dose costs just as much as the regular dose, so that'd be a waste. (My mom won't let me get on it because it's "too expensive." The fact that she's spent more on all the combined topicals and antibiotics than a cycle of Accutane seems to elude her.)

Did you have to ask for that or did your derm just do it? Where do you live? I have medical ins. so the cost wouldn't be a problem. I think the derms around here either don't really care or maybe they arent' that bright???

-Crisco

Oh....and never try to pop a pimple on Retin-A. Let it happen on it's own. It thins your epidermis, so it's really easy to break the skin and leave a ghastly little wound that leaves behind a nasty red mark....

LabGirl81 is right! I just discovered this week that the retin-a making my skin sensitive is why it was reacting so badly to picking. I've only been using retin-a for ~8 months :wacko: . Anyway, I'm cured of picking my skin now...

Let me ask another question. My skin is super oily. It dried up a lot when I did my OverDose with the Retin-A, but now that my face is back to normal & I'm using the retin-a again it's even oilier (did I spell that right?) than it was before. I think maybe thats why this time I'm not peeling, or maybe like LabGirl said it only happens every so often. What I want to know is what I can do to get rid of the oil without making my face so dry that it's all crusty & peeling?

-Crisco

I use MAC blot powder, it absorbs tons of oil, so you don't get oily as fast. It has little coverage and doesn't even look like you are wearing make-up. Also try the clean and clear blot papers, they are amazing too! Your skin will look totally matt. I know these are quick fizes, but I don't know of anything but accutane for reducing oil, and I am happy with these.

MAC? Is that fancy make-up? I've only used liquid foundation from like walmart (when I do wear makeup) & thanks for the tip. I always wondered if those little blotting things worked. Is that any different than a papertowel? Just don't get how a little piece of paper can do that much good. Is it medicated or something?

(can you tell I don't get out much? :))

-Crisco

Did you have to ask for that or did your derm just do it? Where do you live? I have medical ins. so the cost wouldn't be a problem. I think the derms around here either don't really care or maybe they arent' that bright???

-Crisco

I had to ask my derm for something for oil control. I live in Mississippi. I have medical insurance, too, but it apparently won't cover Accutane because my mom is diehard against it. :|

Here's something else that works for oil control. I _think_ you could use it in tandem with retin A, as it doesn't cause the same sort of irritation or redness ... although you'd definitely want to ease into it as it's also a retinoid.

Topical Vitamin A

Q

Hey, I've been reading your posts about your retin-a. I used retin-a for about maybe two months, and the first two or 3 weeks were like hell. My face would always be peeling and very dry. I played football too outside in the cold and windy weather which would cause a lot of pain on my face from the extreme dryness. eventually the dryness subsided and I found a good moisturizer. Once the dryness stopped my face became noticably better, but still a decent amount of acne. then it seemed that the retin-a made my face seem almost more oily and then it didn't really start to do much and some acne came back. So I went to the derm to see what I should do. He told me that I would have to start taking higher perscriptions of retin-a once my face adjusted to the new ones. I didn't want to hear this because taking the "less powerful

" perscription was bad enough so I just decided to ditch it and just try something like proactive or bp. Right now my face isn't any better, but at least my face isn't on fire. I might start taking other perscriptions soon again. I'm not saying that you will have to take a higher dose of retin-a because from what you say, it seems like your face is getting progressively better. But if it starts to get worse again the doctor might tell you that you have to take other kinds of retin-a. If I were you I would take his advice if you can find a good moisturizer. That's just some of my experience that I have had with retin-a. I hope this was somewhat helpful.

MAC? Is that fancy make-up? I've only used liquid foundation from like walmart (when I do wear makeup) & thanks for the tip. I always wondered if those little blotting things worked. Is that any different than a papertowel? Just don't get how a little piece of paper can do that much good. Is it medicated or something?

(can you tell I don't get out much? :))

-Crisco

MAC is a more expensive makeup, it is $20 canadian for the powder. The blot papers are amazing, they do way more than tissue or paper towel. The clean and clear blot papers are about $6 canadaian for 50, so they are chaep, and no they are not medicated. You can get them at Wal-mart.

My derm suggested Accutane from my first appointment with him back in early 2005. I had to tell him that my mother was against it, though. Retin-A Micro is topical Accutane, from what my derm says, and it works for me. Yay.

My derm suggested Accutane from my first appointment with him back in early 2005. I had to tell him that my mother was against it, though. Retin-A Micro is topical Accutane, from what my derm says, and it works for me. Yay.

Good, I'm glad you found something that works for you. I see you're on the 1% so that doesn't sound bad. They have me doing the 4% & it's strong but I think it's working for me too. :pray: Not sure but I thought retin-a was some sort of vitamin A that just peeled off the top layers of skin & somehow removed impurities from your skin & Accutane dried up your oil glands & stuff from the inside out??? I'm no doctor & like I said not sure but the side effects are way different from what I've read. Maybe someone can help us out with that one ? I am really happy you are doing so good with the retin-a, good for you!!

-Crisco

Hi Crisco,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm 32 and have been on retin-a for 3 1/2 months now. I've had some pretty bad purging because I had a lot of whiteheads trapped under my skin. I also had a lady come into the pharmacy where I work today who was about 50. She told me her skin went really bad when she was 37 and had to go on accutane.

You aren't the only "oldie" ;)

Hi Crisco,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm 32 and have been on retin-a for 3 1/2 months now. I've had some pretty bad purging because I had a lot of whiteheads trapped under my skin. I also had a lady come into the pharmacy where I work today who was about 50. She told me her skin went really bad when she was 37 and had to go on accutane.

You aren't the only "oldie" ;)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Thanks! That's good to know. Did you get the redness & peeling with it? If so has it stopped or how long did it last for you? What % are you using? Yea, it really stinks to be getting this as an "oldie" :D I already went through it in highschool & I thought that was bad. I'll take the highschool acne over this anyday.

-Crisco