Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

:( I've just passed the week mark with this Retin-A micro. I was wondering if anyone else has had any success with this? Around my cheeks & chin are red & peeling. It burned really bad at first then I thought I was getting used to it but I just got out of the shower (and used Dial soap instead of the Dove I'd been using) & now my face is on fire, really shiny & hurts so bad I could cry (& I'm a tough chick, I can't remember the last time I've cried) Anyway, I'd really appreciate any advice or success stories. I've read it's supposed to be red & peel but this bad? Crap!!! Someone help please. Thanks.

-Crisco :(

Hi crisco, now my face is far from clear, but I have seen some good results with retin a. It never made my face red though. I wouldn't use it every night. Just every night until you're sure that you're face has gotten used to it. My face peeled a little when I first started using it, but BP made it peel much worse when I started to use it than RAM.

I know that wasn't that much help, but if you can stand to still put it on you face, then maybe you should stick with it for a little while longer. If it's unbearable then no doubt stop using it.

OMG. i thought my face was burning off. cetaphil is supposed to be really gentle, but even THAT made my face sting!

anyways, it's been 2.5 months... i love it! :) i'm not COMPLETELY clear (i have a little on on my cheek) but considering i had CYSTS all over my face before... i'm sold!

yay for retin-a...

This morning it feels a little better. Kinda like a fresh sunburn, a little sore (not bad) & like the skin is a little tight. I'll just stick with it even though it burns. I notice my acne is drying up & looking better even though my face is red & peeling. How long did it take for your faces to get used to retin-a? Before the peeling stopped? Thanks for the replies!!

-Crisco

When I first started on Retin-A, it probably took about six weeks for my face to get used to the medication. I know it sounds like it would be counterproductive, but moisturize the crap out of your face in the mornings. It'll help with the massive drying effect that RAM has. That's how I managed to keep from peeling out all over the place.

Do you think RAM could cause chemical burns? My cheeks & chin are getting super red & really thick skin where the red is, along with the peeling. I called my derm yesterday & she said to maybe try applying it everyother day or only 3 times per week. That will probably just prolong results huh? My luck I'll probably be sensitive & end up making my face look worse than it did to begin with..... UGH!!! Acne sucks!!!

-Crisco

Definitely drop down to every other day if its that bad. You can always go back to once a day once you are used to it. Be careful to stay away from your eyes and lips - the skin in those areas is very sensitive.

You may also be using too much. Try using no more than a pea for your entire face. Good luck.

Okay, one more thing & then I should be set. What make-up (foundation) would you guys suggest using with this? Keep in mind I'm not rich, I'm talking something from the drug store or something. Right now I'm using Almay's skin stays clean & before the retin-a it kinda burned so now it's really bad + I think it's helping to dry my face out more. Thanks for all the help!!

-Crisco

Do you think RAM could cause chemical burns? My cheeks & chin are getting super red & really thick skin where the red is, along with the peeling. I

How much are you applying? Apply one pea sized amount for your whole face. If you apply moure you will get severe irritation.

I've been using a pea sized amount. (I thought) maybe I better check & see how big a pea really is. My face has been soooooo red & painful lately, like a really bad sunburn. My face even stuck to my pillow the other night that's how bad it was. I've stopped applying it for about 3 days now & it feels a lot better. The red is almost gone & the peeling is hardly noticable. I think I'll give it one more day & try it again (but with a smaller pea this time) :) It has dried up all the acne I had & I noticed as the red goes away so do the spots where the acne was (Yippee!!!) Tomorrow I'll start again & let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the help!!!

P.S. My derm told me to apply this to my back, chest, etc... I'm not going to use the retin-a on my body anymore, my chest has some wierd rash now (I hardly ever had acne on my chest & now it looks terrible) & my back not only takes a gallon of the stuff to cover it but I haven't noticed it doing anything except giving me the same type rash up around my shoulders :( so for the bod I'm just gonna stick with the BP wash & exfoliate, I think the BP has really been helping

-Crisco

What's your concentration? I'm at .4%, or .04 or whatever the one is with the 4. I have been getting peeling, but not irritation and redness. Like they said, a pea sized amount works. I think I read that you can wait like 20-30 minutes after washing your face to apply it, so the oil from your skin will have time to come back a little, making your face less susceptable to the retin-a.

I've been using Retin-A Micro (0.04%) for about 5 weeks now. I was using differin for the past four months though. Before I started using toipcal retinoids, I had moderate acne (moderate, but cystic though). Now I'm 100% clear. I don't have one pimple, only a couple little redmarks that are fading. The Retin-A even seems to be helping with my scars (shallow rolling scars). It's definately good stuff.

When I started using differin I had a similar reaction at first. I was all red and peeling (like really bad sunburn). I was also using duac which wasn't helping the situation, but it did control the initial breakout. I switched to retin-a because I was still breaking out. When I switched I got a tiny initial breakout and I did get a little red and peely for a few days, but I adjusted to it pretty quicky. I still get a rash on my chest if I use it there every night.

I'd just use the Retin-A every onther day, or every third day for a couple weeks. Oh...and don't wash with soap (even dove soap). Soap is alkaline and can aggervate already irritated skin because it strips away your epidermal lipids (along with sebum), way more than a gentle cleanser does. I'd try a cleanser like Cetaphil Normal/Oily, and only use a tiny bit and only wash for a few seconds.

I still get flakey if I don't moisturize properly or if I apply too much retin-A. Ocassionally I still skip a night, if I feel irritated that day. I'm currently using Aveen'a Ultra Claming line, it seems to be helping with the redness. As far as makeup goes, I don't really wear it. But when I do I use Bare Minerals. Liquid makeup might irritate (even Almay).

P.S. I love your avatar.....Chuck Liddell is so hot....

[sNIP]

Labgirl81: So you cleared up a case of moderate acne using topical retinoids only? Interesting.

Are you one of those people whose acne waxes and wanes, though? Do you think you might be going through a good period and the Retin-A is just helping it along? Or do you think it's all Retin-A?

Thanks.

Paul

Thanks LabGirl. I had no idea about the soap, I thought dove was ok to use. Guess I'll be shopping today. I really think the retin-a is helping I must have used to much. Ok, so you wash, wait 30 min. then apply the retin-a & then moisturize? How long after should I wait to moisturize if I put on the retin-a at bedtime? The next morning?? I can't afford the bare minerals so I'll just have to find some sort of sensitive foundation for now (can't go without makeup till some of the redness goes away from my O.D) Thanks for your help!!

-Crisco

P.S.

Yes, Chuck is HOTT!! I love him (don't tell my husband)

Next big UFC fight Feb. 4th Liddell vs. Cotour 3 !!!

I can't wait!!!! *squeal !!!*

Would it turn you on if Chuck Liddell came into your home, laid your husband out with one punch, and then had sex with you while your husband lie semi-conscious in a heap on the floor?

A lot of women have fantasies like that.

Would it turn you on if Chuck Liddell came into your home, laid your husband out with one punch, and then had sex with you while your husband lie semi-conscious in a heap on the floor?

:angel: My husband thinks he could take Chuck (hee! hee!) I told him he was more than welcome to live with Chuck & I & we'd make sure he was well taken care of since he'd be in a coma. Ummm, don't think I'd go for the sex part (that would be kinda rude) besides, there will be plenty of time for that when the nurse is giving him his meds. :D

-Crisco

:angel: My husband thinks he could take Chuck (hee! hee!) I told him he was more than welcome to live with Chuck & I & we'd make sure he was well taken care of since he'd be in a coma. Ummm, don't think I'd go for the sex part (that would be kinda rude) besides, there will be plenty of time for that when the nurse is giving him his meds. :D

-Crisco

That's a big yes.

Labgirl81: So you cleared up a case of moderate acne using topical retinoids only? Interesting.

Are you one of those people whose acne waxes and wanes, though? Do you think you might be going through a good period and the Retin-A is just helping it along? Or do you think it's all Retin-A?

Thanks.

Paul

My acne is usually more severe in the summer. I began using retinoids in the summer, at it took about 6 months to be completely clear (I'm clear this week that it.....ask me again in a few weeks). I am also using Duac gel in the morning to control the bacteria, and I'm also on Ortho-Tricyclen. My derm didn't actually expect me to get clear by just using the BCP's and the topicals. He wanted me to take a 6 month course on mino, but I didn't want to.

-Crisco

My boyfriend knows I think Chuck is hot. I think Randy is hot too, so I can't wait for Liddell vs. Couture 3 !!!

I got to meet a bunch of UFC guys (including Chuck and Randy) last summer!!!!

We went to the weigh-in for UFC 53 and they were all just walking around....We took my boyfriend's nephew who's 8 (and a black belt in ti kwon do). He was like the only little kid there, and he got on the Pay Per View broadcast and the DVD......

Thanks LabGirl. I had no idea about the soap, I thought dove was ok to use. Guess I'll be shopping today. I really think the retin-a is helping I must have used to much. Ok, so you wash, wait 30 min. then apply the retin-a & then moisturize? How long after should I wait to moisturize if I put on the retin-a at bedtime? The next morning?? I can't afford the bare minerals so I'll just have to find some sort of sensitive foundation for now (can't go without makeup till some of the redness goes away from my O.D) Thanks for your help!!

-

I usually wait about 5-10 minutes after washing to apply the retin-a. If I'm tired or lazy I don't wait at all. I usually moisturize about 5-10 minutes after I apply the retin-a. With retin-a micro you don't have wait after washing like with the non-encapuslated version (plain retin-a)....

That's great about your bf's nephew! I bet he thought he was hot stuff huh? :) I'm jealous, did you happen to get any pictures??

Thanks for the retin-a help. I thought maybe this stuff's purpose was to make you appreciate the skin you had :D if not it would be glad to burn it off for you :). Is retin-a something you end up using forever or do you eventually stop? I was wondering about that. Thanks again LabGirl!!

-Crisco

That's great about your bf's nephew! I bet he thought he was hot stuff huh? :) I'm jealous, did you happen to get any pictures??

Thanks for the retin-a help. I thought maybe this stuff's purpose was to make you appreciate the skin you had :D if not it would be glad to burn it off for you :). Is retin-a something you end up using forever or do you eventually stop? I was wondering about that. Thanks again LabGirl!!

-Crisco

I think he's too young to really appriciate it....he just thinks it was cool that he got to be on TV....I did get pictures.....I have one where I'm standing next to Chuck...it's funny because I'm only 5' tall and he's like 6' something....I look like a little kid next to him...my BF has all the pictures on his computer....I'll see if he can email them to me....

I think if you have teenage acne you can stop after skin calms down, maybe at age 20 or something, and then see what happens after a few months. For us adult acne sufferers, blessed with acne prone skin, we have to use it forever. I've heard that after you've been on it for a while you can reduce application to every other night, just as maintnence. Trentonin can actually help prevent wrinkles too, something that we can look foward to for the future.....

:D If he sends you the pics let me know. I'll give you my email & maybe I can doctor them up & put my face in there next to Chuck or something :D

-Crisco

I've been using Retin-A Micro 0.1% gel since the end of June (I think), and once I got used to it, it started clearing up my acne. Thankfully, my face is fairly clear since getting on it. I remember that sunburnt feeling I had. It'll pass soon enough.

I use Dove soap, but not on my face. For my face, I use:

IPB Image to cleanse, and IPB Image to moisturize.

They work great. Both are noncomedogenic and hypoallergenic. The lotion has sunscreen, too, which is important when on a retinoid. You should be able to find both at any drug store.