Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wantclearskinforever

for those who take/took accutane,

please tell me how many weeks it took for this purging process to be over with!

when did your skin clear up??? :wall:

I'm in the middle of week 4 and I can say that things are progressively getting better, but I'm not clear by any means.

With that said, I can also tell you that I've asked the same question and found that there are no rules in this game. Some people begin to clear immediately with no breakout at all. Others break out the entire course (six months or more) and clear up two months after they stop their Accutane. Most people, it seems, are somewhere in between.

If there is a "normal" (and I'm no expert by any stretch but I've read a lot of journals), it seems that the first two months can be kind of rough, with the acne getting worse before it gets better. After a couple months, many people see progress.

I don't suppose this is the kind of answer you wanted (I know I would have liked to hear something more definitive), but I think it's pretty close to reality.

The moral of the story is that this course of treatment requires patience and faith that it really will work. It's a great help to read all the journals and get personal encouragement from others who are going through this or have already been through it (or both!).