Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beckjan

question about antibiotics and birth control

currently I am on both tetracycline and ortho tri cyclen. I told my doctor at the time that I was off birth control, which I was at the time, b/c I felt it maybe might not be helping as much as it once did. WELL, bad idea because my skin (a few days before my period started) went nuts. I been on tetra for about a week, but I re-started the ortho tri cyclen the same day. My question is, I keep reading that there is a chance that the tetra can interfere with the effectiveness of birth control. Is that just in becoming pregnant or is it also in the way it helps improve your skin, by lowering the androgens. I'm very confused w/ this.

i did some research about this online because when i first started birth control i was taking minocycline. a lot of things on the internet said that some antibiotics can interfere with the absorption of the birth control, making it less likely to stop pregnancy and all of that. but i told my doctor i was taking minocycline (which is a form of tetracycline) and she told me that a lot of people THINK that they interfere with each other but it's not true. i don't know though, since then i've stopped taking the mino because i want to try the birth control on its own. i'd ask your doctor.

so far everything I read says about the same. That it's not proven. I kind of just want to try birth control by itself, but If I can have both work the way it's supposed to, then all the better right? I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor and see what he says. Thank you for your help!

My doctor (who works for Kaiser Permanente in California) has always told me that it's not really true that antibiotics interfere with birth control, and that it hasn't been proven. Nevertheless, you may want to use a second form of birth control, just in case.

My doctor (who works for Kaiser Permanente in California) has always told me that it's not really true that antibiotics interfere with birth control, and that it hasn't been proven. Nevertheless, you may want to use a second form of birth control, just in case.

hey! my doctor works for kaiser in california! haha, but I'm glad to hear that as well. I just don't want to stress about it over nothing, but it's not because I fear becoming pregnant. I only use bc in hopes to help prevent breakouts. I just don't want the antibiotics to mess with that.