Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

Acne as a result of high blood sugar

Try drinking water while eating sugary or high carb foods. It might slow down sugar's impact on your body.

Guest frogprince

Sweetjade recommended that I go visit an endocronologist and have some tests to determine any imbalances in body, that's what I did. I had some blood tests and the results showned that I was glucose intolerant. When I eat high - sugary foods, my sugar levels rise way above normal range. It made complete sense since I break out from foods with high sugar.

Since then, I have changed my diet dramatically and my face has improved.

I also started taking Vitamin Shoppe's Sugar Control Support

It contains vitamins and herbs that are specific in maintaining and balancing good glucose levels.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/brow....jsp?id=VS-2343

With my diet plus this product, I don't break out anymore. As a long acne veteran, I would recommend it for anybody who breaks out from high-glycemic foods.

I hope this helps.

For my complete history, it's here

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=87851

Try drinking water while eating sugary or high carb foods. It might slow down sugar's impact on your body.

No...for the umpteenth time, use the vinegar trick. It appears to be a good strategy to slow the absorption of carbs and improve insulin sensitivity.

Bryan

No...for the umpteenth time, use the vinegar trick. It appears to be a good strategy to slow the absorption of carbs and improve insulin sensitivity.

I know all about vinegar. It makes me tired after I drink it, plus, if by any chance the candida diet is the correct one, I'm not consuming any fermented foods.

Even if, by chance, candida plays a role in acne, I don't see any rationale for avoiding vinegar.

You're right, according to this article: http://chetday.com/candida3.html when it comes to apple cider vinegar, but not other types of vinegar.

this article: http://www.pureliquidgold.com/candida-diet.htm says that you should avoid vinegar and doesn't mention apple cider vinegar

good to know, a few other articles also concluded that apple cider vinegar is good. Thanks for correcting me. I'll include ACV in my diet.

You're right, according to this article: http://chetday.com/candida3.html when it comes to apple cider vinegar, but not other types of vinegar.

I'm genuinely pleased that the article at that link persuaded you that it's ok to use apple cider vinegar, but I can't really accept or recommend much of the rest of what the author says. For example, she repeats that tired old assertion that "the most important thing to cut out is sugar", while saying that whole grains are ok; she seems not to understand or appreciate that the end-result of ALL carbohydrate metabolism is simple sugars. If you eat ANY carbohydrates at all, you can't avoid simple sugars.

Furthermore (and this is a capital offense, from my point of view!), she makes that tired old anti-milk statement: "Remember that we are the ONLY mammal on earth that ingests the milk of other creatures." I don't think I need to comment any further on that one! ;)

Bryan

For example, she repeats that tired old assertion that "the most important thing to cut out is sugar", while saying that whole grains are ok; she seems not to understand or appreciate that the end-result of ALL carbohydrate metabolism is simple sugars.

true. It doesn't matter if it's bread or table sugar, or even grapes. Carbs get converted into sugar, no matter what they are. Bananas break me out bigtime.

oh, and rinse out your mouth after drinking ACV - it's bad for your teeth.

it's for people whose acne is caused by food with a high glycemic index. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Tested my blood glucose levels today.

Fasting: 114 mg/dL

After eating 75g of sugar: 153 mg/dL

30 minutes after that: 145 mg/dL

after that I stopped testing, cause those strips are expensive.

So.. basically my body's responce is normal, but after eating the sugar I noticed that my body was itching all over and zits started itching.

o yea, and this sugar was apple juice, which is supposed to be good for you.

any ideas? I don't know what to make of this. Should I take a break from fruit for a while and just eat vegetables?

I'm planning to do one of those colon cleansing things soon.

Tested my blood glucose levels today.

Fasting: 114 mg/dL

After eating 75g of sugar: 153 mg/dL

30 minutes after that: 145 mg/dL

after that I stopped testing, cause those strips are expensive.

So.. basically my body's responce is normal, but after eating the sugar I noticed that my body was itching all over and zits started itching.

o yea, and this sugar was apple juice, which is supposed to be good for you.

any ideas? I don't know what to make of this. Should I take a break from fruit for a while and just eat vegetables?

I'm planning to do one of those colon cleansing things soon.

Try taking a break from 100% Fruit Juice as opposed to ALL fruits.

This thread should have been focused on more IMO. It's a shame I didn't see it earlier.

do carrots spike up theese levels?

i eat A LOT of rice (mid GI level..) and it doesn't seem to give me problems.

soft-drinks, candies, or other food that uses table sugar is another story though.

they shouldn't. Test it for yourself:

go to the pharmacy and get a blood glucose meter for $20, and make sure it comes with test strips. Then read the directions, test your blood 5 minutes before a meal, and 10 minutes after, and again, about 40 minutes after.

Guest WolfPleb

Carrots are high GI. However, the total glucose in carrots is largely insignificant, so the small spike in bloodsugar they produce won't cause any problems.

(i.e. carrots are low GL even though they are high GI)

go to the pharmacy and get a blood glucose meter for $20, and make sure it comes with test strips. Then read the directions, test your blood 5 minutes before a meal, and 10 minutes after, and again, about 40 minutes after.

nice thanks!

Bryan

How much vinegar do you use for the "vinegar trick"?

i usually take 2-3 tablespoons after a high glycemic meal.. and you'll want to use apple cider vinegar for best results. i use bragg's (organic).

Read the short study about vinegar yourself from the journal Diabetes:

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/vinegar_insulin.htm

They used 30 grams of vinegar prior to the meal, but I suspect that smaller amounts would work, too. In trials like that, scientists generally use MORE than enough of the substance they're testing to get the desired effect.

Bryan

Read the short study about vinegar yourself from the journal Diabetes:

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/vinegar_insulin.htm

They used 30 grams of vinegar prior to the meal, but I suspect that smaller amounts would work, too. In trials like that, scientists generally use MORE than enough of the substance they're testing to get the desired effect.

Bryan

thanks Bryan, have you tried this? Thats about 3T of vinegar right?