Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

Acne as a result of high blood sugar

Here's a great website with GI ratings for foods, so you can determine for yourself whether high glycemic index foods cause acne for you:

Giant list of GI and GL ratings for many foods:

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Foods/drinks which lower your blood sugar:

http://www.mendosa.com/acidic_foods.htm

Small chart of GI and GL ratings of common foods:

http://www.mendosa.com/common_foods.htm

Over the years I noticed that completely unrelated foods seem to cause acne for me.

Then I discovered the glycemic index, and it all made sense.

For those who don't know, foods with a high glycemic index cause a fast and large jump in blood sugar as soon as you eat them. For some people like me, that causes excessive and fast oil production, which leads to acne.

here is a chart which shows this jump in blood sugar:

IPB Image

Here's something you might not know: you don't have to change what you eat. Drinking lemon juice or eating a salad with vinegar-based dressing, or drinking an acidic red wine with food, will actually lower your blood sugar.

This information was eye-opening for me, and I hope it helps you too.

So basicly, drinking a bottle of water with ACV through out the day will keep your blood glucose leveled

the guy talks about it in the "acidic foods" part of his website. I think it works better if you drink it with food.

I've found that drinking dry red wine with food gives good results, but I will try lemon juice and vinegar dressing for salads.

I found this website yesterday, so I haven't tested everything he says, but I've known about the glycemic index for a while, and it seems like this guy knows what he's talking about.

I sat in my university's library last week, and read a bunch of books about acne. In many cases, people noticed that foods high in carbohydrates cause acne for them. The glycemic index chart includes these foods, and narrows it down to a specific reaction in your body which causes acne in some people.

For those who don't know, foods with a high glycemic index cause a fast and large jump in blood sugar as soon as you eat them. For some people like me, that causes excessive and fast oil production, which leads to acne.

I have a certain amount of doubt for the claim that a jump in blood sugar causes "excessive and fast oil production", but I'll believe it if anyone can cite some scientific evidence for it. Anyone?

Bryan

I have a certain amount of doubt for the claim that a jump in blood sugar causes "excessive and fast oil production", but I'll believe it if anyone cane cite some scientific evidence for it. Anyone?

Bryan

I've yet to believe that, my skin radically improved on a high sugar low protein, low fat diet. IE Mountain Dew and kelloggs pop tarts during intense projects. I still think it's iodine related cos my project diet had hardly any iodine. Kligman did some work on iodine and acne but I cant find a summary or the meat of it anywhere.

It's hard to provide any evidence other than personal experience. Dermotologists still believe that food has nothing to do with acne, so we have a long way to go before any studies can be done.

I've read a few books from the 1920's however, when a controlled diet cured acne in a large number of people.

It's hard to provide any evidence other than personal experience. Dermotologists still believe that food has nothing to do with acne, so we have a long way to go before any studies can be done.

Yes, but one would think that this specific theory (blood sugar leads directly to higher sebum production) would be MUCH easier to test than a general, vague, acne/diet connection. Acne waxes and wanes in individuals due to various unknown and confounding factors, but it seems to me much simpler and more direct to settle definitively whether or not blood sugar increases oil production. It seems to me that pretty much all you'd need to test that hypothesis would be some willing test subjects, a big bottle of glucose, and a reliable way to measure sebum (a Lipometer, a Sebumeter, or some Sebutape test-strips)! :)

So does anybody know if such a (relatively) simple test has ever been done?

Bryan

Yes, but one would think that this specific theory (blood sugar leads directly to higher sebum production) would be MUCH easier to test than a general, vague, acne/diet connection. Acne waxes and wanes in individuals due to various unknown and confounding factors, but it seems to me much simpler and more direct to settle definitively whether or not blood sugar increases oil production. It seems to me that pretty much all you'd need to test that hypothesis would be some willing test subjects, a big bottle of glucose, and a reliable way to measure sebum (a Lipometer, a Sebumeter, or some Sebutape test-strips)! :)

So does anybody know if such a (relatively) simple test has ever been done?

Bryan

Since stress is related to acne and possibly sebum production this may be of interest...

http://moodfoods.com/carbcog.htm

My experience has been better skin and less stress whilst on a sugar trip!

Since stress is related to acne and possibly sebum production this may be of interest...

http://moodfoods.com/carbcog.htm

My experience has been better skin and less stress whilst on a sugar trip!

You'd think they would refer to it as "Carbohydrate Rich And Protein Poor", so they could call it the CRAPP diet! :D

Bryan

my hubbie is type 2 diabetic and they have told him to stay away from oranges, orange juice because it raises the sugar, also pinto beans are starchy along with potatos, rice and they say carrotts do the same thing. The vinegar thing is good and so lemon. Thoough he is not fond of red wine. anything with a high carbohydrate count is not good for him or any one either, but if it triggers a sugar spike and you notice acne getting worse, by all means don't eat it.

I knew about the citrus fruit thing but I never knew about the fermented foods one. Everyone here saying beer is bad, for shame. Good thing my stout or bitter can keep me healthy in more ways than I thought.

I have a certain amount of doubt for the claim that a jump in blood sugar causes "excessive and fast oil production", but I'll believe it if anyone cane cite some scientific evidence for it. Anyone?

Bryan

I've yet to believe that, my skin radically improved on a high sugar low protein, low fat diet. IE Mountain Dew and kelloggs pop tarts during intense projects. I still think it's iodine related cos my project diet had hardly any iodine. Kligman did some work on iodine and acne but I cant find a summary or the meat of it anywhere.

There may be something to this. I quote L Cordain: "For acne patients, consumption of low glycemic index diets may be therapeutic not only because of their beneficial effects on insulin metabolism, but also because these diets are known to reduce plasma NEFA, which may influence keratinocyte proliferation and differentiation via the EGF receptor pathway."

Now I dont understand all this scientific talk, but his articles are very interesting. Check it out.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Final...e%20Article.pdf

wonder if my acne would go away if i only drank water all day long without eating anything... :think:

guess not.

i'm definitely believing more and more in the whole high glycemic = acne theory. i've been experimenting and monitoring my diet/acne connection for a little over a year now and thus discovered that avoidance of sugars, dairy and wheat/gluten/grains = clear skin for me. and what do most products that contain these ingredients all have in common? they all raise blood sugar levels.

my opinion is that anything that will cause a spike in my blood sugar will lead to inflammation and inflammation will lead to acne for me. as teplo suggested, there are indeed certain tricks that i've also discovered to assist with keeping my blood sugar levels low (and thus my skin clear). water with freshly squeezed lemon juice definitely works wonders. as does an occasional glass of red wine with my dinner (usually merlot or shiraz).

so, for the most part i try to avoid sugar, dairy, wheat/gluten, pasta... but i certainly have not eliminated all traces entirely from my diet. but when i do slip up i've found that i am to counter attack the negative effects on my skin by alkalizing my system.

but don't misinterpret me.. i'm not trying to sell lemon water and red wine as quick, easy miracle cures for all acne! i think as most sufferers would agree, it's a complicated matter that requires a complex approach to fight.

So has anybody had good success fighting acne with an Atkins diet? :think:

Bryan

Yeah, you would think someone would have reported that by now.

I've tried a whole lot of different diets, and all of them that work seem to have one thing in common: Low GI.

High fat/low carb (Atkins and Weston A. Price for example)

Paleolithic diet

Waisays diet

Low GI

SweetJade1980 explained it well in some other threads:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=57408

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=30721

I think the paleolithic approach will work for most of you. Fish, cod liver oil, eggs, NATURAL meat (free range), virgin coconut oil, virgin olive oil (on sallads), veggies and nuts should be the staple in your kitchen. Of course, everything should be organic, especially the meats. It's better to buy one organic orange than five non-organic. Nuts and veggies should be soaked/sprouted to make them easier to digest.

There's one but though, and it's big (no pun intended :P). If you work out a lot and need lots of energy, you will need to include more carbs in your meals. To be honest, it's just not possible for me to follow a strict paleolithic diet during the most intensive training periods. When I cheat, I usually eat potatos (right after a training), and whole oats. Another issue is that weight lifting and high intensive cardio stimulates your hormones (reference: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satter2.htm). I don't know how to deal with that to be honest, and I was kinda hoping SweetJade1980 could help with that.

I've tried a whole lot of different diets, and all of them that work seem to have one thing in common: Low GI.

I'm pretty sure it's not low GI that's important- it's GL.

GL is the GI multiplied by how many carbs you're chowing down on at a sitting: so glucose is very high GI, but if you divide a 100g dose into 40(!) parts and consume it in 15 minute increments, it doesn't matter a damn; your blood glucose won't budge. But if you stuff it down in one gulp- bad news.

So one trick for workouts; get the carb drinks (~7g carbs/100ml type drinks) and sip them throughout. Because you're working out, the muscles will soak the carbs up and your blood glucose won't budge much. It also means you won't go stupidly under after the workout since your blood glucose will be more stable; otherwise you'll eat too much later.

Yep, but many here are pretty inactive (don't exercise), so sticking to a diet that doesn't cause your insulin to spike will do. I can eat candy and other sugary stuff right after an intensive training session without it affecting my acne, because it will go straight to my muscles and won't affect my insulin in a negative way.

I'm pretty sure it's not low GI that's important- it's GL.

EXACTLY.

You can eat anything you want (aside from known/discovered food intolerances/allergies). Its just that the higher the GI, the more slowly and more often (in small increments) you have to eat it. That's no fun. I mean, its possible, but that takes way too much mental energy.

[Edit: Some members don't have trouble with eating lots of higher glycemic load carbs... this is a very personalized thing, it seems. The only way you can know for sure is through experimenting... a long and tedious process]

Yep, but many here are pretty inactive (don't exercise), so sticking to a diet that doesn't cause your insulin to spike will do. I can eat candy and other sugary stuff right after an intensive training session without it affecting my acne, because it will go straight to my muscles and won't affect my insulin in a negative way.

uhmm.... it doesn't just work for people who don't exercise. i'm not training for the olympics or anything, but i am fairly active (run 4 miles at least 4x week, and lift light weights 3-4x week). keeping my blood sugar levels stable is my key to success. not only for my skin for my overall well being. my body is definitely sensitive to glucose. if i eat a very high glycemic meal, not only will my skin suffer, but i will feel like i have nearly slipped into a coma. i can't think clearly, i feel extremely tired, etc. i can't stand that feeling.

so.. maintaining even blood sugar levels keeps me feeling my best AND keeps my skin clear.

and yes, there have been connections between atkins type diets and a decrease in acne. i was reading through one forum in particular somewhere (it was for atkins dieters) and they all commented on how great their skin was looking.

uhmm.... it doesn't just work for people who don't exercise. i'm not training for the olympics or anything, but i am fairly active (run 4 miles at least 4x week, and lift light weights 3-4x week). keeping my blood sugar levels stable is my key to success. not only for my skin for my overall well being. my body is definitely sensitive to glucose. if i eat a very high glycemic meal, not only will my skin suffer, but i will feel like i have nearly slipped into a coma. i can't think clearly, i feel extremely tired, etc. i can't stand that feeling.

so.. maintaining even blood sugar levels keeps me feeling my best AND keeps my skin clear.

and yes, there have been connections between atkins type diets and a decrease in acne. i was reading through one forum in particular somewhere (it was for atkins dieters) and they all commented on how great their skin was looking.

But after a workout, you will be much less sensitive to a high GL. People who don't exercise won't have that window of opportunity when their muscles absolutely scream for sugar (glucose). That's what I was trying to say in my previous post.