Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone else here tried low carbing to help their acne? I went on atkins about a year ago to lose a few pounds and remember that it did made my skin a little clearer and recently I've been cutting out a lot of carbs and I have noticed that it does make my skin better even if I just do it for a few days. Has anyone else found this to help their acne?

It's not low carb that helps acne,it's the low sugar part. Complex carbs aggrivate acne, because it raises your blood/sugar levels and raises horomone/sebum/oil production.

Err.....sorry, I meant refined carbs, not complex.

Low carb dieting does not work for me. I went on something where the only starches I could have were oatmeal at breakfast, and the rest of the day I ate low-sugar veggies, some fruits (low calorie, like strawberries), salmon, and nuts. Theoretically it was actually a very healthy diet. I felt like hell -- my head throbbed, I was tired and hungry. I lost weight even though it was a skin diet (perricone 3-day based) because it got to the point where I dreaded eating because I didn't like anything I was allowed to eat, and I would skip at least one meal a day. So I'm a little dramatic, refusing to eat dinner because I couldn't bear another day of salmon and romaine lettuce and steamed broccoli. It did help my skin a little but it wasn't worth it. If I want to be able to function I need starches throughout the day.

It's not low carb that helps acne,it's the low sugar part. Complex carbs aggrivate acne, because it raises your blood/sugar levels and raises horomone/sebum/oil production.

Err.....sorry, I meant refined carbs, not complex.

... complex carbs are the only good carbs.. its simple carbs you should be avoiding.. but anyways.. im not one of those people who obsess over every little thing i eat.. i eat whole wheat, i drink milk, and i dont break out, but most of the people on this board would die before doing that.

Guest been13years

I tried low-carb throughout November and December and saw no improvement in my skin. In fact, I now eat more complex carbs than ever and no dairy, and I've noticed a slight improvement. But really, I don't think my diet affects my acne all that much, not unless I'm just mainlining frosting and coffee all day. I try to keep it mixed up with a variety of fresh fruits/veg, whole grains, and good proteins. But this is more for health/weight than acne. The less I stress the better, and that means I get my bowl of Uncle Sam with almond milk and bananas in the morning.