Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've had mild to moderate acne for about 5 years now and it has made me so depressed and nothing seems to work. I decided to go on birth control to see if it helps and the nurse gave me Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. I am supposed to start tomorrow but after reading all the horror stories about it I am soo scared and reluctant to take it! I've heard better things about Ortho Tr-Cyclen regular and I wish I could've gotten that instead. Is there anyone here who has had success with their acne on Lo???

My friend used it and loved it (after having tried about 3 or 4 other BCP's including reg ortho). IMO there's no good way to predict how your acne (and the rest of you) will react to a certain pill, and you'll only know if you try it, but be sure to give it a few months and if you dont like it switch to a different one. I've been on a few, and all the ones that were variations of ortho's hormones worked for my acne (they were UK versions and I dont know if they corrospond to US pills or not). Each person's reaction is unique, so IMO it's not worth worrying that one BCP didn't work for someone else.

Update with how it works because I'm thinking of asking for BC for my acne. My skin type changes according to the time of the month -- it goes far beyond the "I get a pimple before my period" -- so I think it might work for me. But my parents are weird about that stuff so it would only be worth enduring all their questioning about why I would possibly take birth control if I thought it would be very effective.

You know, if you go to a Dr w/a parent and tell her/him that you have really bad hormonal acne, there's a good chance the Dr will suggest BCP for acne to you (and the parent) and you would never have to explain why your on it . . . might be easier than explaining yourself.