Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Me_23

Why do derms reccommend alternating doses of Accutane?

Why did my derm prescribe ONE 40mg pill, followed by TWO 40mg pills on alternating days?

What is the purpose of this?

I don't notice the treatment working and I'm wondering if 40mg every other day isn't enough?

If I'm able to handle the 80mgs every other day, why not just keep that consistent and CONTINUE taking TWO 40mg pills EVERY day?

Is there some sort of benefit to the alternating doses?

I can't say for sure, but it seems that on days following my 80mg consumption, I notice that my skin seems to exfoliate much more.

I just don't wan't to be wasting my time... I'm considering upping my dosage to TWO 40mg pills a day so that I'd be getting more out of the medecine during this course. I do NOT want to have to go through a second course, and once my body is already used to handling the two pills every other day... WHY NOT?

Can anybody give me a reason why this might not be a good idea, or perhaps agree with my stance?

Thanks a lot.

The reason is this:

He wants you to take 60 mg/a day.

But in some cities, there's no 20 mg pills. There is juts 10 mg and 40 mg. In order to take 60 mg a day. You'd hafta buy like 3 boxes of accutane per month. 1 x 40 mg and 2 x 10 mg.

I think it comes out cheaper and a lot more convienable to buy 45 pills x 40 than to hafta deal with all the other shit.

And your body doesn't use "80 mg" a day. Or even "40 mg" a day. It uses only a small fraction. The rest is stored within the body.

The reason you feel an "exfoliation" is your liver processed more isotretinoin and it's effect was to stop oil more than on those 40 mg a day.

Don't worry, the treatment will do the job.. It takes 6 damn months tho.

The reason is this:

He wants you to take 60 mg/a day.

But in some cities, there's no 20 mg pills. There is juts 10 mg and 40 mg. In order to take 60 mg a day. You'd hafta buy like 3 boxes of accutane per month. 1 x 40 mg and 2 x 10 mg.

I think it comes out cheaper and a lot more convienable to buy 45 pills x 40 than to hafta deal with all the other shit.

And your body doesn't use "80 mg" a day. Or even "40 mg" a day. It uses only a small fraction. The rest is stored within the body.

The reason you feel an "exfoliation" is your liver processed more isotretinoin and it's effect was to stop oil more than on those 40 mg a day.

Don't worry, the treatment will do the job.. It takes 6 damn months tho.

Thanks A LOT for that information!

I never even thought to consider that...

I'll continue with my alternating dosage and wait it out.

Thanks!