Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok I'll give you some background first. I'm 21, I've had acne since grade 10ish. I didn't use anything in highschool, I hardly washed my face and it was never really that bad. Grade 11 and into university it got quite a bit worse and I went to a my family doctor. He put me on a variety of things like Tazorac, Stievemyacin and some others (can't really remember). None of them really worked, and usually made my skin really red. I finally got an apointment with a dermatologist and he put me on Differin gel. This stuff worked amazingly well. I started washing with Spetroderm and using Differin and my acne ALMOST disappeared. My prescription ran out, and I couldn't get ahold of my derm to get more for a few months! But my acne never got any worse, so I figured it must be going away on it's own? It's VERY VERY slowly gotten better, it's now to the point where I get basically 3-6 pimples a week and it seems like everytime one FINALLY fades, I get a new one, and that's how it's been for about 6 months now.

So for the past 6 months or so I've ONLY been using Spectroderm once in the morning and once before bed and it's not getting any better or any worse. I'm scared to try anything because I don't want it to flair up again, but I'm looking for suggestions that might help it along. I was thinking of using some form of SA but i'm not sure if that will help me or not?? And like I said, I don't want it to get worse because I'm so close to being clear finally!!!

PLEASE help with some suggestions!

Thanks

What kind of acne do you currently have? If you have lots of blackheads and think that you're problems are mostly from clogged pores you might benefit from SA, but IME deeper more inflamed ones dont always benefit from SA.

What kind of acne do you currently have? If you have lots of blackheads and think that you're problems are mostly from clogged pores you might benefit from SA, but IME deeper more inflamed ones dont always benefit from SA.

Well, I sometimes (maybe once or twice a month) will get a deeper more inflamed one (like the type that's painful and really red) but most are just smaller whitehead type zits. Usually I just pop them then they stay red for a week or so then they're gone.

What do you think will work for me? Keep in mind I'm basically using nothing!

try the regimen.

nah man it's not that bad to justify that. I basically was on the regimen with Differin. I basically use nothing so I'm looking for just a little something extra to fight the little bit I have left

HI

I hope this helps, I had acne for years,now I am trying to help anyone that wants to listen to my story. 1 year ago I heard of Aloe Vera and decided to take it within days my skin condition eased greatly and it was gone after 1 month, aloe vera juice from forever living products, I tried it and it works!!!!!!!!!! I became a distributor for them, I don't do it for the money, I am just trying to help people like you. That's was my best investment ever also, they are 100% natural no chemicals, no side effects, so what do you have to lose?, The activator and the aloe vera juice works great for acne, don't waste time and money on shelf products, harmful prescription or memberships, I tried them all, they just don't work!.Millions of people have used Forever Living's Aloe Vera products with very positive results............send me an e-mail I will take your order, or answer any question. No obligation to buy! [email protected] ;)

Are you looking for a spot treatment? Murad makes a good one with sulfur in it ... they also have a sulfur mask that could be used just to dry up spots as they come up.

I don't know what to recommend to prevent spots from coming up at all ... you have such a mild case, it doesn't seem worthwhile to go through the redness/peeling/dryness of an overall skin treatment like Retin A or the regimen. Just my opinion.

Q

Are you looking for a spot treatment? Murad makes a good one with sulfur in it ... they also have a sulfur mask that could be used just to dry up spots as they come up.

I don't know what to recommend to prevent spots from coming up at all ... you have such a mild case, it doesn't seem worthwhile to go through the redness/peeling/dryness of an overall skin treatment like Retin A or the regimen. Just my opinion.

Q

I agree with you, I don't think my case is worth having other "problems" just to fix my current situation. I was looking for more ideas of maybe a better cleanser, or an additional one that may prevent mild acne?

Don't look for a cleanser to clear up acne. Maybe try a scrub with SA in it (I used to like St. Ives Apricot Scrub for acne prone skin) But SA is a only a weak kerolytic and can be irritating. I'd go back on Differin if you can. The differin doesn't cure you acne. It helps prevent the pores from clogging up, by normalizing the way your skin cells shed. About three months after you stop using it your pores will start clogging up again. It will eventually go back to the way it was. If that is not an option, you could try using a Cleanser with SA in it, maybe a Glycolic acid toner, and a SA scrub every couple times a week. I'm personally not a fan of SA, but It does wrk for some people.

ive found clean and clear advantage with 2% salycilic acid works very well. but if you dont have oily skin that you mgith need a moisturizer to since its drying. it works for me becasue i ave oil;y skin.

Don't look for a cleanser to clear up acne. Maybe try a scrub with SA in it (I used to like St. Ives Apricot Scrub for acne prone skin) But SA is a only a weak kerolytic and can be irritating. I'd go back on Differin if you can. The differin doesn't cure you acne. It helps prevent the pores from clogging up, by normalizing the way your skin cells shed. About three months after you stop using it your pores will start clogging up again. It will eventually go back to the way it was. If that is not an option, you could try using a Cleanser with SA in it, maybe a Glycolic acid toner, and a SA scrub every couple times a week. I'm personally not a fan of SA, but It does wrk for some people.

I've been off Differin for almost 2 years now. It did get a little worse right after, not much, then it's progressively gotten a little better, but now it seems to be at a standstill. I was looking for something to just help a little more than just spectrojel for cleansing.

I do not have oily skin, I had to use a moisturizer while on Differin because it dried out my skin pretty bad.

It is not an option to go back on Differin. I know I wouldn't be able to get a prescription with the way my face is now, and I'd rather stay off prescription acne medicine... maybe a self confidence thing?