Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
floss

Scar treatments free on the NHS??

Just learnt you can get scar treatments on the NHS, why did my doctor never mention that??

Can we get ANY scar treatments free on the NHS, or just certain ones? Could anyone who knows please list the ones which are available and those which are not? I don't suppose things like needling and copper peptides would be available?

Do you know whether your scarring has to be at a certain level of bad to get NHS treatments?

Guest seanna

Yes you can get scar treatment on the NHS...... i have had 2 different treatments about 7 years ago. :angel:

Guest seanna

My dr. gave me some sort of acid peel, not sure what as it was years ago. I also had about 7 sessions where he and maybe a couple of trainee dr. put lttle needles under the ice pick sort of scars and rolling scars, im sure he done other stuff but cant remember,, it was meant to make them appear less deep. the sessions were about 20 mins each, really i didnt see much difference from the needle treatments as they were done every couple of months so i couldnt really see any improvement due to the time scale, plus my acne was still a bit active and new scars were forming all the time.

From Dr Chu at the Hammersmith in London you can get N-Lite, Subcision, Punch excisions and TCA CROSS on the NHS.

Certain clinics will perform CO2 and/or YAG laser on the NHS, although for this your scarring has to be very bad, at least in my experience. I was denied treatment at Lasercase in Birmingham on the NHS and my scarring is moderate-severe.

I've heard of microdermabrasion and acid peels being carried out on the NHS, also.

As far as I'm aware, needling is not available. Copper peptides are almost certainly not available.