Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I cried so much last night--I just wailed in bed thinking the worst. I've been coming to this forum for sometime now asking for help on a temporary or at least alieviating solution to my hairloss while I can see a doctor because I can't at the moment! I have been losing a lot of hair since my tane days. I now have bald spots seeping through my hairline and crown area. I lost an incredible amount of hair in my drain yesterday evening while washing it. It clogged my drain so bad I had to pry open the drain hole and insert a wire to unclog it. The whole side of the tub was littered with hairs and I panicked so bad I ran out of there without even rinsing off the shampoo--I am losing about 300-400 strands a day! As I walk, as I eat, as I sleep; they just keep coming off and off and it is progressively getting worse...

Nothing that I have tried is working. I tried limiting the days I washed my hair--didn't work, only made me more oily and filled my scalp with residue and sediment. I tried washing my hair more often for a period of a week and a half (reccommended by a holistic book)--only made me lose more hairs! I've tried to massage my scalp, take supplements (Daily: Biotin 1500mcg, Vit C. & E 1000IU's) and changing the way I brush and wash. I was also cleansing my scalp with natural shampoos aimed at detoxifying the follicles--this stuff takes time to work I know, but in the meantime, my scalp can't take the heat and while it may or may not be working I am losing more hairs. I need something to immediately reinforce it while it undergoes repair. This was all due to my tane days 6 years ago when I got really dry and my scalp began to flake a lot. My hair never recovered from the stripping of elements. It's very kinky and wiry and thin when they fall off.

The strange thing is that until recent years it starts dry and then other days it is really oily, but this only happens when I last 3-4 days without washing. I don't have problems regrowing it, because it seems to be growing at a normal rate, but even the small growths can't sustain itself and fall off! I'm only 22 and I don't want to go bald later in the future like I've heard some post accutane patients have gone and have to wear a wig! I don't know what to do anymore and I am really desperate for a "quick fix" that doesn't seem to exist!

oh my God - poor baby!!!! I really feel for you. I once lost all my hair after trying to bleach it blonde in my own house. It is traumatizing to see all that hair in the drain. Until your doc finds something, I suggest you go with wigs. I know what you're thinking - they look dumb and are for old ladies. Not the case anymore! The wigs these days are realistic looking. Ever watch America's Next Top Model? You know how many models wear weaves and wigs for fashion shows? There are even partial wigs, where they only cover the back of your head and the top of your hair covers the hairline. Also, scarves are really in right now, you might want to look in Vogue or Madamoiselle to see what kind of hats and scarves are in and become a hat girl for a while. You can get wigs in synthetic and in human hair, you can use this as an opportunity to experiment with colors you've never tried before! If you have a boyfriend, or are in the process of getting one, when he tries to touch your hair just say, "don't touch the weave!" He doesn't have to know its a wig for now! Try to stay optomistic - I hope your doc figures out something. Maybe you want to google cancer patients, who also have that same trauma happen to them of losing their hair. Also ask the owner of the wig or beauty salon what are good things to buy with a wig, you might want to get some stalking caps to cover your head before you put on the wig, and a spray-on shampoo to keep it looking nice. If you don't know where to find a good wig, call a salon or ask a beauty supply store where is the best place to get one - you don't want to be in a store for old ladies with old lady wigs - you want young hairstyles so you need a store with a younger vibe. Hairpieces and wigs are really more common than you think!!!! Good luck sweetie, stay strong!!!

My god, I feel very sorry for you and you're scaring me because I'm on Roaccutane just recently, I don't want to lose my hair... Were you already loseing your hair before the tane? Did your parents lose their hair at an early age?

There are treatments like rogain and you can grow all you'r own hair back, it's great!

Oh, Ive been thinking about going blonde lately, is it safe to bleach my hair on accutane?

Alot of people in the Middle east and India use "Henna" to alleviate hairloss.. make sure you use natural henna with no chemicals added into it .. it should be a green powder and smell kind of like tea.. I use it because of its colouring effect.. but try googling "henna + hairloss" and im sure some info will come up about it .. I hope everything works out for you :)

Sorry.. i should have added.. i get my henna from the local indian grocery shop.. make sure its good quality stuff aswell

Thank you for your replies.

kaleidoscope--

I've always known that I've been toxified by Accutane because of high dosage of Vit A. but is it normal to STILL be experiencing high levels of it even after 6 years!?? I'm trying to supplement with the Vit's I mentioned before, but I may still be experiencing low dosages of Vit D although I eat a lot of cheese and products containing milk. I am taking another supplement I bought a week ago called Folicure, specifically for supplementing the hair. It contains:

Vit E: 30IU

Thiamin (as HCI) 2.25mg

Riboflavin (Vit b2) 2.55mg

Niacin 30mg

Vit B6 3mg (as pyridoxine HCI) 3mg

Folic Acid 600mcg

Vit B12 (as cyanocobalamin) 9mcg

Biotin (Vit H) 600mcg

Pantothenic acid 15mg

Zinc (as zinc citrate) 10mg

Molybdenum (as molybdenum chelate) 50mcg

It also contains natural herbs such as Fo-ti root, horsetail, Lycium berry, Dong quai and amounts of protein at 66mg, 30mg, 66mg, 66mg and 50mg respectively. I listed these in order to get feedback on how much of these elements should I be getting. If I do need an infusion of Zinc to counteract the effects of Vit A wouldn't 20mg's a day be too little? Should I up it to 50mg's like the link you provided? I have to take these supplements 2x's daily.

Many years ago, when I was a kid, my mom had good response applying garlic to my hair, I grew it out long and thick as a result and ever since then I have never had a problem growing my hair thick and naturally until I took Accutane.

I've blended a mix of natural chamomile flowers, olive oil, garlic teeth and basil leaves as reccomended by a book. I can't say anything about results since I just started, but in the meantime I cut my hair like a boy to prevent anymore loss.

angel zz--

I've heard a lot of good things about Henna too, but in the meantime I am going to keep using my oils despite the info on the link on stirring toxicity levels of Vit A. I was also thinking about doing a liver flush although I am afraid of it because getting rid of gallstones and other liver impurities could be painful. Although, maybe if Zinc acts as a mollifier to Vit A deposits in the liver it could soften the gallstones??!....I dunno...

The Liver/Gallbladder Flush

breaveheartlion--

Wearing a wig isn't the way to go because it could just exacerbate the problem. I still have a lot of hair left.

Demonic-Charmed--

No, there is no history of MPB (male pattern baldness, which affects women too) in my family and I wasn't losing my hair pre-tane. In fact, quite the opposite. My dad is 55 and he has a fuller mane than a bearded collie and even more incredibly his father (85) still has most of his hair! It's gray, but still has enough to make a wig. I was thinking of Rogaine, but I've read you shouldn't take it unless it is for reasons of MPB or do not take it if for any reason other than MPB.

Oh, and please do yourself a favor and DONT bleach your hair while on Roaccutane!!

Now I do wonder about Retin A. This is a topical form of Vit A. for acne I have been using for years. Does anyone think that this may be an aggravating factor for hair loss? That mabey, in fact, it is being absorbed by the skin affecting the scalp??! I think in the end, an inner detoxification could do me good because there could be a problem in my urine color. Can't say I've noticed a change from years past because when I started on tane as a teen I didn't pay attention to any of these effects, but maybe there are a lot of liver issues I need to address since this is one of the most adverse targeted effects of tane on inner organs which is liver damage.

It's funny that I didn't think I was the "type" to suffer from the worst of the worst on medication side-effects. Goes to show NO ONE is immuned. Some people just get lucky.

I've always known that I've been toxified by Accutane because of high dosage of Vit A. but is it normal to STILL be experiencing high levels of it even after 6 years!??

Probably. The person who wrote the post in the link I gave had been off Accutane for 8 years!

If I do need an infusion of Zinc to counteract the effects of Vit A wouldn't 20mg's a day be too little? Should I up it to 50mg's like the link you provided?

20 mg a day should be plenty if you're going to take that every day.

I was also thinking about doing a liver flush although I am afraid of it because getting rid of gallstones and other liver impurities could be painful. Although, maybe if Zinc acts as a mollifier to Vit A deposits in the liver it could soften the gallstones??!....I dunno...

You'd probably benefit from liver flushing. I'm not sure if it will help your hairloss or not, but if nothing else, it should at least help your skin (you still have acne, right?). I think you should give it a try as long as you do plenty of reading about it first and prepare for it -- don't just jump into it because it's not something to take lightly. If you do it right, you're not likely to experience pain with liver flushing.

www.sensiblehealth.com and www.askshelley.com are both good sources of info on liver flushing.

I don't think zinc has any impact on gallstones.

Now I do wonder about Retin A. This is a topical form of Vit A. for acne I have been using for years. Does anyone think that this may be an aggravating factor for hair loss? That mabey, in fact, it is being absorbed by the skin affecting the scalp??!

I'm not sure about this, but it could very well be.

You'd probably benefit from liver flushing. I'm not sure if it will help your hairloss or not, but if nothing else, it should at least help your skin (you still have acne, right?). I think you should give it a try as long as you do plenty of reading about it first and prepare for it -- don't just jump into it because it's not something to take lightly. If you do it right, you're not likely to experience pain with liver flushing.

Yes I still break out from time to time. Thanks for the info, I think this may benefit me and my mother who is suffering from kidney area pain. Could be something else for her I don't know, not necesarily her kidney. I'm also going to try fasting for a few days see how that works.

Guest delta force operators

can u specify what area of the head u were losing hair, i noticed in myself to lose hair on my left in right temples,? is this the same case with u? it could be just a pattern of male pattern hair lose

can u specify what area of the head u were losing hair, i noticed in myself to lose hair on my left in right temples,? is this the same case with u? it could be just a pattern of male pattern hair lose

It is pretty much all around. But yes just like you, more on the areas where my hair is longer such as the temple and also on the crown. This isn't at all because of MPB like I stated before, but because the longer the hair strand is the weaker it is because it can't sustain it's own weight and it' is more susceptible to falling either by its own accord or because of strain from brushing, washing or anything that might knock it and interrupt its life cycle. --It's too weak! I am going to cut further on the length on those areas because although I specified my hairdresser to go as short as possible she insisted I shouldn't do that, it was short enough. Now I regret listening to her.

MPB, by the way, doesn't progress at the rate that I am losing my hair. With MPB it takes a while or relatively slower for balding areas to develop. I developed my thinning areas in a matter of a month and a half. Therefore, another reason this is more likely a vitamin deficiency or toxicity or a lack thereof of body ability to process these vitamins properly. I have been losing hair ever since tane but NEVER like these past few months! It's incredible. I just got over a stressful semester from school, but I had always been a good stress handler and had never suffered from stress related effects until after tane. This was all a contributor to my condition now.

How fast exactly are you losing your hair? What texture do you have?