Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexx

Do you look for certain attributes when you buy acne products?

I read the ingredients and make sure there's nothing harmful. Basically I don't buy "acne" products like Clean & Clear and Neutrogena anymore, but the natural shit.

Guest quack

i look into reviews (online, tv, people i know, whatever) then i first check out if it's non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, and oil-free. if the product does not include ALL three of these, i forget about the whole thing but if it does, then i check the main ingredients to see what works for me or what doesn't (SA) and what i would and wouldn't want to have on my skin (mineral oil).

i look into reviews (online, tv, people i know, whatever) then i first check out if it's non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, and oil-free. if the product does not include ALL three of these, i forget about the whole thing but if it does, then i check the main ingredients to see what works for me or what doesn't (SA) and what i would and wouldn't want to have on my skin (mineral oil).

hmm, just a thought, not all oils are bad you know. the one you mentioned, mineral oil, can't clog pores and doesn't attribute to acne. if you want more info, check the mineral oil article by paula begoun. also, a poster here, who is a cosmetics formulator (her id is labgirl smth, i believe), also said mineral oil is essentially harmless, but gets a bad rap because it is an oil. if you googled for a trustworthy ingredients website, mineral oil would be listed as non-comedogenic and non-irritating. a lot of essential oils are beneficial to the skin, like jojoba (though it's more of a wax than oil), lavender, tea tree oil, etc.

also, a product stating that it's non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic or it's dermatologist approved really doesn't have much meaning. they don't have to run that by a credible test agency or anything. they can put whatever they want on the packaging.

anyway, totally agree with you on reading the ingredients list before purchasing.

Guest quack

oh i know that not all oils are bad. i sometimes use vitamin e oil as a moisturizer. i just find that stuff with mineral oil tends to be, you know, oily on my face and i just don't like it.

and about the labels, it's true that most companies could probably put anything on their packaging but then ... what would we do? how would we know what's really non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic and dermatologist approved? since i'm no scientist and haven't had any experience fomulating lotions/creams out of chemical ingredients, i'm just gonna base what i'm gonna buy on those well-known products. i wouldn't buy something from like, the swapmeet. i'd get something that is well-known to the public.

read ingredients. then check mua reviews.

Same here. I'm not sure how I lived without MUA.

I used to would buy products based on magazine reviews and recommendations. Big mistake...beauty editors want to keep their advertisers happy and to entertain the reader, and they'll write about what looks pretty and sounds interesting and feels glamorous rather than trying everything and recommending what works. I also went through a phase where I would religiously check paula begoun's recommendations (I would go to barnes and noble just to look at the book...never bought it) but sometimes she's just wrong. MUA is always the most accurate review. Also, when you go there, make sure to read the details in depth rather than just looking at the scores. Pay attention to reader's skin types, problems, and expectations -- pay closer attention to reviewers of your skin type. Some products get great reviews, but almost all the oily skinned reviewers say it makes them break out.

I read the ingredients and make sure there's nothing harmful. Basically I don't buy "acne" products like Clean & Clear and Neutrogena anymore, but the natural shit.

how do you know natural is as effective?

I used to would buy products based on magazine reviews and recommendations. Big mistake...beauty editors want to keep their advertisers happy and to entertain the reader, and they'll write about what looks pretty and sounds interesting and feels glamorous rather than trying everything and recommending what works. I also went through a phase where I would religiously check paula begoun's recommendations (I would go to barnes and noble just to look at the book...never bought it) but sometimes she's just wrong. MUA is always the most accurate review. Also, when you go there, make sure to read the details in depth rather than just looking at the scores. Pay attention to reader's skin types, problems, and expectations -- pay closer attention to reviewers of your skin type. Some products get great reviews, but almost all the oily skinned reviewers say it makes them break out.

haha, i LOVE paula too!!! she truly has given me a lot of insight in how to choose the right products. adore her to death!!! and yea, wish i could i download paula's book off the internet for free, i don't want to buy them either. ;)

how do you know natural is as effective?

yea, ur so right. natural doesn't mean it's benefitical to the skin. a lot of natural ingredients are harsh and irritating. chemicals aren't bad. there're lots of manmade "chemical" ingredients that are gentle and effective. so know your ingredients well pple.

i rely on this forum only.

those pharmacists are as clueless as i am..

well, was, actually. now i could have a degree in dermatology! :D

I stay away from products with large amounts of synthetic fragrances, synthetic oils, and fats. I research the irritation, toxicity, and pore-clogging ability of each ingredient. I read the reviews on message boards, and results of double-blind studies. I weigh everything against common sense. Finally, I pare down the options and give them a try. It's pretty sad what one must go through to get an unbiased opinion.

yea, ur so right. natural doesn't mean it's benefitical to the skin. a lot of natural ingredients are harsh and irritating. chemicals aren't bad. there're lots of manmade "chemical" ingredients that are gentle and effective. so know your ingredients well pple.

That's true. Anyone who insists natural is better needs to start using an all burt's bee's regimen and see what happens to their skin. It's not good to pile on every cream in the book but chemicals can be just as effective as natural products, and a lot of "essential oils" are really irritating and do nothing besides smell nice.

That's true. Anyone who insists natural is better needs to start using an all burt's bee's regimen and see what happens to their skin. It's not good to pile on every cream in the book but chemicals can be just as effective as natural products, and a lot of "essential oils" are really irritating and do nothing besides smell nice.

From my research and experience, a natural moisturizer like Jojoba Oil or Emu Oil works better then whatever else as it moisturizes and helps healing (the latter moreso). Natural Tea Tree Oil and Oregano Oil has worked better then BP as a spot treatment.

haha. but i really like their lip balm. :ninja:;)

From my research and experience, a natural moisturizer like Jojoba Oil or Emu Oil works better then whatever else as it moisturizes and helps healing (the latter moreso). Natural Tea Tree Oil and Oregano Oil has worked better then BP as a spot treatment.

agree with tto. and i will start jojoba oil soon. can i ask some questions: which brand do you use? how much do you use each time? and do you just rub it in like a moisturizer? THANKS SOOO SOOO MUCH!

Yeah, I think Burt's Bee's hands down makes the best chapstick there is.

I use Desert Essence Jojoba Oil, each time I use about 3 drops over my entire face (it spreads pretty well), and yeah I rub it in just like a moisturizer. But I'm about to switch to emu oil as soon as the package comes as it seems to be more beneficial / very good for skin thickening and healing.

non comodegenic.. however the hell you spell it.. ^^ yours is wrong by the way..lol.. fragrance free.. nothing too harsh.. i need sensitive stuff..

hey shez... isnt a toothbrush too rough ??? too much irritation?? just wondering..

read ingredients. then check mua reviews.

I loooooooove MUA! I've been a member since 2001, and really can't remember life without it. :) Nice to see other MUAers here. :)