Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WOW there is so much information on this forum about supplements that could possibly improve acne - HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN?????

First of all, has anyone had improvement JUST from taking a multivitamin???

B/c I have been wondering for awhile now if taking multivitamin would improve my acne,

but I keep hearing mixed feelings on them. Some people say take one everyday, others say every other day, some say dont at all b/c once you stop your immune system is greatly weakened, others say they are so large it just comes out in the urine, and lastly, some people say it can make acne worse because of iodine and other things in it, and others say eat Total cereal!!!

That's A LOT of different viewpoints!!!

Then, there's the whole zinc thing to try, but I'm not about to take insane levels of it... if I were to take 50 mg a day, do I NEED copper to back it up? I cant find copper by itself anywhere... and do I take Vit. E with zinc? I've heard good things about those 2 together.

Or should I test out the whole sulfur thing first..........

Or what if I have candida?? Do I take acidophilus or garlic? Hey doesnt garlic have sulfur in it... maybe I can knock out 2 with one bang!

Orrrr should I take flaxseed oil??

Or maybe I'm all wrong and its hormones that are my problem... I mean seriously HOW DO YOU KNOW???

Would someone PLEASE set me straight and guide me????

<333

I tried Zinc x 200 mg a day ( 4 pills) for 3 months, and it did absolutely nothing for me mate.

Taking Cod Liver Oil gave me extremely large and painful cystic acne.

Multivitamins are over rated, your body already has all the vitamins it needs probabily.

One thing i recommend you do though is get Vitamin C. LOTS of it. That's about it. Get maybe 3 grams of Vit C a day. The recommended daily dose is about 1/20th of that. But Vit C doesn't build up in your body, it just sort of flushes straight through. You can take as much as you wish.

So many possibilities.. the only way to know if they work and more specifically if they work for you is to give them a try. I think the approach that most likely will help is one that targets the symptoms of acne, not necessarily the cause. The Regimen with BP is a pretty generic solution that is working well for me.

In the mean time I've also been experimenting with other variables to see if they help MY acne at all. I've cut way back on sugar, I've avoided milk products, I've taken Vitamin C, drank lots of lemon juice, and just this week I've switched to a non antiperpirant deodorant which doesn't contain aluminum. Hoo ha!

So far, nothing other than the BP Regimen has shown me any convincing results. But the other stuff can't hurt and if I suddenly see better skin then I'm golden. I get mild bacne so if one of these other treatments actually work I hope to see the improvement there. My face should improve regardless due to the Regimen.

Acne isn't a disease, it's a symtom of many many different problems in the body, if person (a) has a poor immune system then zinc and vitamin C may help them, what happens? this person will then post on the forums 'OMG I'VE FOUND THE CURE!!!!!!!', so person (b), © and (d) think WOW I must try this and sure enough it doesn't help at all, perhaps because their acne is caused by candida or a hormone imbalance or one of the many other causes.

I think the most important step is figuring out what it is that's giving you your acne, until you do that you can't effectively find a cure.

My acne is caused by Candida and I can control it with things like Threelac and Garlic, I've just added coconut oil too. I always take a multi vitamin regardless of what I've tried in the past because my skin heals much faster and it helps stop possible deficiencies.

Once you've got a reasonable idea of what's causing your acne, you can then start treatment, see how your skin looks and decide whether it's doing much for you, it may take a few months but you'll find what helps you in the end.

Topicals are OK but they can only at most help rid the damage being done by the inside, the key is to find the root cause.

If you're a teen then it's possible you're hormones are out of balance and it's quite hard to control so sometimes topicals such as BP are infact the best method.

If you're in your twenties and still suffering from acne, you're probably too old to be suffering a hormone imbalance so it's a good idea to explore other causes such as candida, allergies, deficiencies etc.

The point of my post is, don't always expect one persons miracle cure to work for you, and don't let it dishearten you. When you find your cure, then sure post up and let others know your findings but please try to reframe from posting 'OMG I'VE FOUND THE CURE' as it's misleading to many on here.

Good luck in finding your cure.

Paul

Yeah good post Paul!

I think you have to figure out yourself whats best for you...

Interesting link Daz, I will test the iodine acne link on me (stop taking my multivitamin and stop eating nuts) .

That sounds good advice Paul, but please can you tell me how we can KNOW what causes our acne? I'm nearly 21, had acne since age 12, am i too old to still have a hormone imbalance?

And please PLEASE someone tell me how the heck would i know if it was down to Candida???????? Is there a candida test you can do?

First of all, I doubt many people have cleared up from simply taking a multi-vitamin. I wouldn't waste your money on them (just my opinion).

Pretty much like everyone else has said, you have to figure it out for yourself. Try not to go bonkers and try everything all at once because then if something works, you won't know what it is.

The best success I've seen is from modifying my diet so that I eat NOTHING processed, NO sugar, minimal coffee, lots of tea and lemon water. Basically, LOTS of veggies, apples/applesauce, rice, beans, seaweed, wild mushrooms, nuts and seeds. If I keep my diet mainly to this, I stay clear. I can cheat a little, but can't make a habit of it.

Other thing that has helped me drastically is colon cleansing. It lets me cheat more.

There's some other things to add to your list of things to try. :)

Hi Floss, you can go for tests, but I had no idea where to go, so instead I just tried the anti candida diet for 2 weeks and took the nacasary supplements and sure enough my skin improved a lot.

Some people suggest you need to follow a diet for months to see effects, for me I definately don't agree, I see results very quickly, if something doesn't agree with me, my skin will get bad fast, I stop taking it and boom within 2 - 3 days my skin is perfectly clear again and no marks. I guess everybody is different though.

If you suspect it's candida you can try supplements such as Coconut oil and Garlic, cut down on sugars, simple carbs etc, and see how your skin looks over the next few weeks, take it from there really.

Candida suffers often suffer fatigue, so if you're un naturally tired a lot of the time, then that's another clue that it could be candida.

I'm so glad i'm not the only one taking multi-vitamins to help prevent acne problems. The website i got mine from is http://www.dontforgettotakeyourvitamins.com/adams11075. Cleaning up your diet with proper nutrition can help, and strong studies show the friendly bacteria of Probiotics greatly help reduce skin disorders. When there is insufficient, friendly intestinal bacteria, your body builds up undigested toxins. These toxins, when eliminated through the skin can show up as digestive and skin disorders. Studies clearly show skin conditons improve when patients take friendly bacteria and supply the nutrients their bodies need, to digest their food properly. I hope the website can be useful and beneficial to you as it was to me.

Thanks all for the info and opinions...

Now I wonder which I should try first?

------------------------------------

Ooh and I got another question hopefully people out there might know...

but I've gathered that if overgrowth of candida is the problem symptoms may include white-ish coating on the tongue and abnormal fatigue. To cure it, taking acidophilus and garlic will do the person good as well as eliminating as much sugar as possible. (btw - what ARE simple carbs?) If its things like white bread that'd be impossible since I don't buy the food in my house. (I'm 18)

Oh yea and since I'm 18 and theres a possibility its still due to hormones should I lay off trying everything and stick to things like bp and sa??????

But yea........ WHAT ARE the symptoms for a ZINC deficiency or a possible SULFUR deficiency?????????

I want to see if I fit the category...

Thanks...

Acne isn't a disease, it's a symptom of many many different problems in the body, if person (a) has a poor immune system then zinc and vitamin C may help them, what happens? this person will then post on the forums 'OMG I'VE FOUND THE CURE!!!!!!!', so person (b), © and (d) think WOW I must try this and sure enough it doesn't help at all, perhaps because their acne is caused by candida or a hormone imbalance or one of the many other causes.
This is what Jade has been trying to teach us for almost three years now. :clap:

Now I wonder which I should try first?
Go to an endocrinologist and your gp, and have tests for allergen and analysis of your hormones. Probably a good start before wasting money ;)

Sounds like i MAY have candida, i do get fatigued and need a lot of sleep, also my tongue's a bit coated...

Can candida alone cause acne?

Please can someone tell me how much garlic should be taken to bring candida under control, i've seen some garlic supplements but how many mg would i need per day?