Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SomebodyHelp

What if Accutane doesn't work?

I've been on Accutane for about 2 1/2 months, and I have seen no improvement. My body acne had begun to clear up slightly, but now I am getting painful whiteheads on my chest and back. My face had peeled off, leaving pink flesh exposed. It was wet with pus and just plain painful. This was easily the worst week ever in the history of my life. Now my face is dry, with dead skin all over. I'm scared to use any exfoliator because I don't want to peel off the main layer of skin again. I'm getting painful cysts, and my face isn't really clearing up. I also feel lazy most of the time, and don't wanna go out because I pretty much don't want anyone to see my face. I feel like my life is passing me by. What I wanna know is, what if Accutane just leaves my face dry as fuck. I would have expected to clear up a little by now, but no luck. I need a confidence booster. Accutane sucks.

same boat. 3 months over and still breaking out like mad .. wtf where is the miracle drug. im only on 40 mg.. which is a mistake i should be at least 80.. possibly 120 or 100.. hopefully getting it bumped monday, if your dose is low get it bumped

its not a miricle drug but it will take your acne away. but once you stop 6 months later boooom if you dont go into remission

2 and 1/2 months here mate. No improovement. Scars got worse, more whiteheads, the cysts under my skin don't seem to go away once they develop.. Etc... it sucks :S

Hopefully something will happen soon

have you noticed any improvement (since last post was jan 13)

im 3 months in...only MINOR improvements if any and still breaking out...

It is not uncommon to continue to break out, even until the end of the course, and still get a remission - be patient. But if the course does fail, your best bet is a second course after a short break. Subsequent courses greatly increase the statistical chance of long term remission.

Having been on Accutane for two separate courses, I know exactly what you guys are talking about.

Accutane is strange...at first your acne will worsen, then seem to get better, then your type of acne will change (less cysts/nodules more whiteheads/pustules), and then your skin will get red and irritated and they dryness will take its toll. BUT, if you stick with it, around 4-5 months your acne will suddenly go into serious decline and you will be entirely clear. At least that is how it worked for me. The point is that the only way you can get results with Accutane is by sticking with it. Takes a long time and does a number on your body, but it works.

As for how long the effect lasts, both times I took accutane my acne returned a month after and got progressively worse from that point.

Accutane is no miracle drug, but it is by far the best drug out there for severe acne. Because of accutane, my acne is more manageable, and drugs like BP gel or Tazorac actually help my acne now, whereas before my acne was too severe to be treated by those drugs.

Man i can relate to you, a couple of years ago my face was good and life was fine. Then about a year ago i started to break out bad around winter time, and that acne started to leave scars. Im also on accutane- im just starting month 4 and let me tell you it finally seems to be working. At 2.5 months i didnt see no improvement also. I started to have doubts and suicidal thoughts........ and maybe i still do. Im on the same boat as you, I dont go out that much with friends, Ive lost total contact with about 50 percent of my friends, mostly the girls because i dont want them to see me right now...... i even turned off my phone and deleted my myspace because i am ashamed by the way i look..... but i keep hoping that i can turn back to the rest of my life after this is all over(summer time). I to even dropped out of school because of my appearence........ i just letting u now that your not alone and that to wait and see what accutane can do for you. Like the thousand times you heard "it just takes time" check out my log i got a day 30 pic and day 100 pic.

Hey guys,

I'm feeling the exact same thing as all of you..I'm on 2 1/2 months of accutane (40mgs) and my skin is gettin worse if anything...there will be days where my skin isn't as red and it looks fine and I get all happy, but then boom! 2 days later I'm breaking out like mad again and I get frustrated....and with the Canadian winter, its drying my skin and lips 10x more too...I'm really killing that Vaseline.

Also, are you guys having really bad joint pain?? I'm getting more backaches and headaches than usual....and I know this may sound weird but my ankles are really bad....I especially feel the pain when I'm going down the stairs, it really kills me...I feel like Im a 60 year old woman...other than mood swings, feeling empty and sad, I'm also on birth control....which doesnt really mean anything coz lately when I'm making love to my boyfriend its been hurting me (and him) because I'm feeling kind of dry down there....yet another side effect of Accutane!!! GIRLS do you have that problem too?? Sometimes I wonder if all this crap is even worth it.....

ANY Accutane success stories out there?? Please share :)

Close to my third month on 40mg a day. My IB lasted two weeks, and after a month I started seing significant results in my skin. Now I have flawless skin but with some redness, and very mild s side effects. Really glad that I went on Accutane!

my IB lasted 10 weeks and i didnt think accutane was working for me either! im on week 13 now and my skin is 100% clear! ive only had one small pimple in the past 2 weeks. it just takes time so dont give up! i think it has a lot to do with your dosage. you just gotta get enough accutane built up in your system to start seeing results. (maybe? i dont know) good luck!!

Hey guys,

I'm feeling the exact same thing as all of you..I'm on 2 1/2 months of accutane (40mgs) and my skin is gettin worse if anything...there will be days where my skin isn't as red and it looks fine and I get all happy, but then boom! 2 days later I'm breaking out like mad again and I get frustrated....and with the Canadian winter, its drying my skin and lips 10x more too...I'm really killing that Vaseline.

Also, are you guys having really bad joint pain?? I'm getting more backaches and headaches than usual....and I know this may sound weird but my ankles are really bad....I especially feel the pain when I'm going down the stairs, it really kills me...I feel like Im a 60 year old woman...other than mood swings, feeling empty and sad, I'm also on birth control....which doesnt really mean anything coz lately when I'm making love to my boyfriend its been hurting me (and him) because I'm feeling kind of dry down there....yet another side effect of Accutane!!! GIRLS do you have that problem too?? Sometimes I wonder if all this crap is even worth it.....

Oh my god. You've got some pretty terrible side effects, one's I'm experiencing over 18 months after finishing my course. Joint pain, sexual dysfunction, ankle joint pain was my first symptom before it spread all over. I strongly suggest either quitting accutane or lowering your dose to a minimal level. The LAST thing you want is for these sides to stick around even if your acne doesn't, trust me!

How many of you believe that taking accutane twice is worth it. I took it once already but on a low 40 dose. It worked great and I was extremely excited that it was working. The effects lasted over three months and I thought I was cured. Probably the best 3 months of my life. But I am never that lucky. My acne is returning. At first I thought it was a fluke but now I realize that my worst fears have come true and that my acne has not been cured. I would really like to do a second trial if I can...probably won't be able to but would like to know how well the second coarse of accutane worked for some of you. Is it worth it? I want to believe yes.

How many of you believe that taking accutane twice is worth it. I took it once already but on a low 40 dose. It worked great and I was extremely excited that it was working. The effects lasted over three months and I thought I was cured. Probably the best 3 months of my life. But I am never that lucky. My acne is returning. At first I thought it was a fluke but now I realize that my worst fears have come true and that my acne has not been cured. I would really like to do a second trial if I can...probably won't be able to but would like to know how well the second coarse of accutane worked for some of you. Is it worth it? I want to believe yes.

I've just finished my second course, my pimples came back about 5-6 months after the first course but no where near as bad. Before my first course I had pimples on my back, cheeks, forehead, nose etc. The first course cleared me completely. When the pimples returned 5-6months later I only got them on my cheeks and side-burn area. My back, forehead, nose etc. was still completely clear. Finishing my second course two weeks ago, I have not had a single pimple and my skin is starting to return to normal. Hopefully it stays this way! I would be eternally grateful. :) :)

Hope this helps ^_^

I've been on Accutane for about 2 1/2 months, and I have seen no improvement. My body acne had begun to clear up slightly, but now I am getting painful whiteheads on my chest and back. My face had peeled off, leaving pink flesh exposed. It was wet with pus and just plain painful. This was easily the worst week ever in the history of my life. Now my face is dry, with dead skin all over. I'm scared to use any exfoliator because I don't want to peel off the main layer of skin again. I'm getting painful cysts, and my face isn't really clearing up. I also feel lazy most of the time, and don't wanna go out because I pretty much don't want anyone to see my face. I feel like my life is passing me by. What I wanna know is, what if Accutane just leaves my face dry as fuck. I would have expected to clear up a little by now, but no luck. I need a confidence booster. Accutane sucks.

Sounds like it sucks but honestly it just means its working-im going on my 8th month for accutane bc it isnt working. But don't use an exfoliator, use gentle face washes. And dont worry if its not clearing up right away bc itll get worse before it gets better. Good luck :)

Hey guys,

Oh my god. You've got some pretty terrible side effects, one's I'm experiencing over 18 months after finishing my course. Joint pain, sexual dysfunction, ankle joint pain was my first symptom before it spread all over. I strongly suggest either quitting accutane or lowering your dose to a minimal level. The LAST thing you want is for these sides to stick around even if your acne doesn't, trust me!

Omg you honestly need to get off accutane immediately!!! My friend was on it and she had really bad joint pain to the point where she couldnt walk. She had to go on vikadin and was bed-ridden for a month. Its really rare that this happens to people but if its really bad you should go to your derm and see if you should get off of it bc it def isnt worth it. And if you have a lot of headaches it means that you have increased brain pressure which isnt good either so you should probably talk to your derm about that too. Good luck, hope all goes well.

it suxx! I've been breaking out since I was 10 years old. at first only blackheads bit next to no one I knew had acne at my age and my mom never broke out a day i her life, but it both of her sisters did. Anyway, I wanted to go on acutane forever but it just didn't happen. All of those fucking people making insane claims about it. My skin was effing tired of benzol peroxide and salicyic acid, however you spell them. so, I finally started to the process. You boys are so lucky. I pledge is insane. those stupid girls got pregnant and had those disfigured babies while on acutane and ruined it for the rest of us.

Being on acutane was disheartening and so uncomfortable. I thought my lips were gonna peel off. I was still breaking out bad, plus being really red. My derm said many people dont clear up to a few months after going on the treatment.

5 months finally were done. about 2 months later my skinwas doing good. I thought what came next was lasering some of the spotting and scarring. But a it been a month since then and i'm breaking out AGAIN. on my forehead, mostly which was pretty clear b4 and during the treatment.

I do have a higher level of androgen hormone, most likely mild form of pcos, perhaps birht control or hormonal treatment will help.

Now i know most people experience a bit of acne at some point. My mom is now in her fifties, which shes freaking out about. But I thought it was over, not having to worry anf be ugly all the time,

im exhausted of this

Hey everyone, Ive been on and off of Accutane for over two years. I have/had severe cystic acne and found no cure but emotional ups and downs from this medication. Theres a few things that you can try, and i know most of you have heard the word "Try" one too many times, bare with me here. My dose of accutane went from one a day for four months and then alternating days from two a day to one a day for about five months and then, it went to two a day for the remainder of my usage. Now to see no side effects other than hormonal depression and emotional cues. It really does suck. It may not be over for the accutane for me, hopefully i canturn to something else.

Normal zits are already unpleasant enough, but cystic acne is a much more painful and potentially scarring experience for your skin (and your self esteem!). There is no “easy" remedy for getting rid of acne cysts, but there are certainly some treatment options that can help speed the process, as well as some things that you should be sure NOT to do. This advice is meant for acne sufferers with a mild to average number of cysts. If you have severe cystic acne that covers your face and body, you should really seek the advice of a dermatologist immediately, as an affliction such as this can leave your skin scarred for life.

Understanding cystic acne:

Unlike the small whitehead pustules that most people with acne experience on the surface of their skin, cystic acne appears as large irritated bumps, often with the pustule hidden deep beneath the skin’s surface. These cysts are caused when hormonal shifts result in your skin glands overproducing oil (sebum) at an unnatural rate. The gland becomes swollen and eventually bursts, but not before the sebum has swelled and hardened into a clump too large to escape by means of your pores. The irritation from your gland bursting results in inflammation, and buried pustule can remain in your skin for a very long time.

What to do:

The first thing to keep in mind is what you should not do. Never try to force a deep cyst to the surface of your skin prematurely. Trying to force cysts to burst is one of the major causes of acne scars, and will often leave your face looking much worse than it did before.

There are some things that you can still do to help. Strong acne creams with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide will help speed the healing process by killing the bacteria that forms in the cyst. Anti-inflammatory treatments such as Neosporin can also help by taking some of the red out of the inflamed region. After this, it simply takes patience and the discipline not to pick at your skin. Your cysts will eventually be broken down by the body, and this usually takes less time than healing from the inflammation caused by forcing them out.

Prevention:

Cystic acne happens below the surface of your skin and has very little to do with personal hygene. Creams and cleansers will not help much at all in preventing it. You need to target your oil glands in order to counter those hormonal shifts. Start with a daily multivitamin to make sure you’re getting the minimum of essential nutrients that your body needs to metabolize oil, and then consider other supplements.

Zinc is an important mineral in regulating the activity of your oil glands, as well as being a powerful antioxidant. Taking an extra 30-50 mg per day of Zinc has helped many acne sufferers. Vitamin B5 is also a key ingredient in fighting excess oil. There are many online resources about vitamn B5 acne treatment. B5 is necessary in order to produce Coenzyme-A, which in turn is needed for the metabolism of skin oil. Supplementing with 5-10 grams of vitamin B5 (less if time-released) has helped many acne sufferers get their skin under control by enhancing oil metabolism. Since cystic acne is caused by excessive oil production, this may be exactly what you need.

this is one of the articles ive read, and want to share with you. In hopes of a better turn to fight this 'severe' acne.

whether you've tried one to ten billion different options, try and throw on these natural suggestions.

Im going to ask for advice from my proffessional dermatologist and throw him a few questions. So far this doctor seems to really know what hes talking about. Ill post feedback, and if you're interested keep updated :)

thanks,

Dakota.

Edited by DakotaJ

im almost on 3 months on accutane but it has only removed small cystic pimples and small acne vulgaris.... Still the mother of all acne, the large cystic pimples show up all the time 5-6 times a day new ones show up... I mean, im getting angry now but if i really think about it, it IS going away... I guess i just never thought to actually trust hte medication

Im loosing all the confidence too.

My case is even worse, cause i´ve been into tane for 5 months and 14 days on 30mg/day for a total of 7 months and even im 90% clear of actives, still getting spots every 2-3 days (apart from the ugly red marks) that usually dry within the next 3-5 days, but with a cyst the last week (that is already drying up) and a new one forming in the same spot today.

Im starting to think im one of those people the tane doesnt work on them.

Cheers mates.

I was uber positive at first but after a small improvement on week 2-3 i've fallen back on progress.

Old one coming back and they bring friends too

One step forward and two steps back

[/facepalm]

I used accutane 10 years ago for 9 months, going up to 120 mg. It was NOT the miracle cure and still continued to break out an pit all over a couple of years after stopping the drug. I am thinking about going back on it because I got several new pits. However, I don't think it will work.

I have also used all different kinds of anitbiotics, retin a micro, clindamycin phosphate. Nothing works. You never get rid of hereditary severe acne. That's the cold hard truth they dont tell you.

Edited by ylem