Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tom_tom

does BP really unplug the acne clog from root

i dont ve much experience with BP

but my acne is like a clogged pore which get inflmmated and turn into a bump and if i dont do anything it never goes away.

it just stay like a bump red and inflammed.

so i prick the bump with a lancet and forcefully put the puss and clog out

and then it heals with in few days

now i want to try BP

my question is

BP fights the bacteria..but does it do any good in really unplugging the clogged pore and taking it out

unless the clog comes out im sure the acne spot never heals perfect

BP dries the clog but the dried up clog remains inside the skin right..

what you guys think?

BP is only has a very minimal, almost non-existent, kerolytic effect. So to answer your question it does nothing to alleviate clogged pores. Pretty much all the BP does is create an environment that is very hostile to the acne bacteria, so the likelihood of breaking out in inflammatory pimple is reduced. BP can prevent a whitehead, or comedo, from becoming an inflammatory lesion like a papule or pustule (what you were describing). BP won't do anything for non-inflammatory lesions, like whiteheads or blackheads and does not prevent their formation.

so how could people say BP is very effective in treating acne..

iagree if u keep applying BP your clog may never get infected

but on the other hand it doesnt cure it either

from my experience the only thing which works is pricking the clog with ultra thin lancet and forcing the content out.

Lab Girl

just curious..you into medical field :)

you sound little technical ..

There may be an additional benefit of benzoyl peroxide for acne which hasn't previously been appreciated by readers here: it may reduce sebum production! Here's a short section written by M. Gloor in the book "Hair Research" (Springer-Verlag, 1981):

"There are no studies with regard to Benzoyl Peroxide on the pilous skin of the head. However, there are studies on administration of Benzoyl peroxide in a gel base to hairless skin (Fanta 1978)....In the studies of Fanta, it could be shown that the amount of skin surface lipids can be appreciably reduced by Benzoyl peroxide...It could be shown autoradiographically by in vitro technique in man that the 3(H)-thymidine labelling index in the sebaceous gland is reduced by Benzoyl peroxide. We found in the syrian hamster ear model a decrease of mitosis, a reduction of sebaceous gland size, an increase of the S-phase duration, and a shortening of the time up to detachment of the cells from the basil lamina of the sebaceous gland (Gloor et al. 1980)."

Bryan

There may be an additional benefit of benzoyl peroxide for acne which hasn't previously been appreciated by readers here: it may reduce sebum production! Here's a short section written by M. Gloor in the book "Hair Research" (Springer-Verlag, 1981):

"There are no studies with regard to Benzoyl Peroxide on the pilous skin of the head. However, there are studies on administration of Benzoyl peroxide in a gel base to hairless skin (Fanta 1978)....In the studies of Fanta, it could be shown that the amount of skin surface lipids can be appreciably reduced by Benzoyl peroxide...It could be shown autoradiographically by in vitro technique in man that the 3(H)-thymidine labelling index in the sebaceous gland is reduced by Benzoyl peroxide. We found in the syrian hamster ear model a decrease of mitosis, a reduction of sebaceous gland size, an increase of the S-phase duration, and a shortening of the time up to detachment of the cells from the basil lamina of the sebaceous gland (Gloor et al. 1980)."

Bryan

Bryan, thanks for that bit of interesting information. I haven't seen that one. Well, I haven't noticed any sebum reduction for myself, but I hate to see what happens when I don't use it.

I've found some interesting info about sebum. The excees of sebum may actually cause the abnormal keratinization that causes comedos to form. I found this article the other day:

Unsaturated fatty acids induce calcium influx into keratinocytes and cause abnormal differentiation of epidermis

I wish I had a decent medical library here so I can find the full text.....

tom_tom: I'm not in the medical field. I'm a cosmetic chemist, but I'm considering going back to school for a PhD in Biochemistry, or possibly going to medical school for Dermatology.

No problemo! I'm headed to the library this weekend to get some things for myself, so I'll get you a copy of that one, plus the other one, and maybe a couple other things that I know you'll find interesting! :D

Bryan

These results suggest that unsaturated fatty acids in sebum alter the calcium dynamics in epidermal keratinocytes and induce abnormal follicular keratinization.

this article doesnt say dietary unsaturdated fatty acids cause problem

it says unsaturated fatty acid in sebum cause the problem

but as far as i know what we eat doesnt really affect the constituent of sebum

i mean if we eat lot of unsaturated stuff it doesnt mean sebum wuld hve unsaturated content

sebum is not build from dietary fat its totally secreted by glands right

btw which among these have unsaturated fatty acid

milk

beef

vegetable oil

i was until now the impression that saturated fat cause more problem

people have been very successful with BP

so if all BP does is control the Pacnes bacteria and does nothing to elimiate the clog it never cures pimple.

but in reality i think BP does wipe off pimple in a week iguess

so how does it really work?

does the clog itself get dried up and get absorbed and get eliminated by body?

there should be some mechanism of its working if it ever work

These results suggest that unsaturated fatty acids in sebum alter the calcium dynamics in epidermal keratinocytes and induce abnormal follicular keratinization.

this article doesnt say dietary unsaturdated fatty acids cause problem

it says unsaturated fatty acid in sebum cause the problem

but as far as i know what we eat doesnt really affect the constituent of sebum

i mean if we eat lot of unsaturated stuff it doesnt mean sebum wuld hve unsaturated content

sebum is not build from dietary fat its totally secreted by glands right

btw which among these have unsaturated fatty acid

milk

beef

vegetable oil

i was until now the impression that saturated fat cause more problem

It was referring to the unsaturated fatty acids in sebum, not dietary unsaturated fatty acids. As far as I know it's better to eat unsaturated fats, than saturated fats, but I'm not sure how dietary fatty acids influence sebum production and content (althouh they do influence the epidermal lipids). I think the study found a component in sebum that can cause abnormal keratinization that causes comedo formation. It stands to reason from the info in this study, that having oily skin (more sebum= more unsaturated fatty acids) can trigger this abnormal keratinization process. Up until recently I always though it was the other way around. I though that the abnormal keratinization alone cause the blockage of the sebacous ducts, and I didn't realize that the excess sebum itself may actually cause the skin cells to not properly desquamate.....this sebum stuff is just looking worse and worse the more I read.....